Skip navigation

ACR and camera profiles

Jan 10, 2009 3:51 PM

Latest reply: PhotoSci, Jan 27, 2010 6:55 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2009 8:58 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Not to worry Geof. Ramón shouts a lot but his advice in this instance is no doubt correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 9:27 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Thanks Allen yes he was 100% correct I don't doubt his knowledge for an instant, but there are 2 library, 2 Adobe folders and 2 file format folders and this isn't too obvious to debutants.. Geof

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Geof, you just fell prey to Ramon's Zero Tolerance Policy. He loves to yell and beat his chest at every opportunity.

8)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 9:50 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    I dated a girl like that once. Didn't last.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 1:04 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Like I said originally when referring to the Windows location, they couldn't have buried it deeper if they tried.

Why on earth each upgrade doesn't install the 8bf file in its correct folder without sending you on a wild goose chase is beyond me. Even the most basic 3rd party plug-ins I've installed/updated manage to do that on their own. It's just slack work from Adobe.

I guess this and other recent posts I've made have got me onto Ramon's plonk list, which is a good thing. I'd hate for him to have to read something I say that he'd have to agree with.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 1:11 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    I'll second you on the location, Fred, alrhough it seems more like a naming convention problem on Adob'es part. I will say that they do ask you to carefully read all the instructions and follow them to the letter. I never have gone awry doing that.

One can also do a Ctrl F in the approximate location and search for the extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 1:13 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Don't mind Ramon. he's probably hard of hearing. :D

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 1:19 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    > Like I said originally when referring to the Windows location, they couldn't have buried it deeper if they tried.

To do with enabling multiple versions to coexist on the same partition.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 2:32 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Sorry to be the one to invoke the wrath of Ramon and I may have missed something but where were the instructions? I didn't find the path until R sent the Mac screenshot...thanks everyone for the help..and there do seem to be some helpful people on the forum...Geof

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2009 6:18 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Geof,

The instructions are very clear on the downloads page. However, if you don't read them

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 19, 2009 6:19 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Thank you to the forum host that cleaned up #89. :)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 6:52 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    >I guess this and other recent posts I've made have got me onto Ramon's plonk list

As I have said earlier, being on Romaine's plonk is a good thing. So far, I haven't been attacked or insulted in at least two days.

The really cool thing is that being on his plonk list means that I don't have to plonk him. Less work for me, less chest beating for him. It's all good.

(I think my plonk-freedom is going to be short-lived, but I hope I'm wrong.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 6:54 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    >being on Romaine's plonk is a good thing

Now that I've re-read that, I need to apologize to everyone here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2009 9:03 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Personally I need no technological help to ignore whatever I deem necessary. I just... ignore it. To each his own I guess.

Indeed, if I put someone who might be making untrue statements about me, or posting incorrect information about matters on which I am knowledgeable, on a technologically implemented ignore list, that would appear to be kind of counterproductive, as I would then be unable to put matters straight (in a calm and reasonable matter, this being the most effective way of proceeding, in my experience) and the statements would then be reinforced by lack of challenge. But perhaps I'm missing the point.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 12:50 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Ramon there were no on-screen instructions with the Camera Raw plug in. Camera profiles loaded automatically but the were no instructions in the read me document. There were instructions for for Photoshop Elements but not for Photoshop..also can I point out that some readers will read the forum when they are stuck, as a last resort with a problem, like on a shoot on the other side of the world when the gurus are asleep...the place I put the camera raw DOES work and although not correct allowed me to process G10 files until I had the definitive answer as to where to put the file.Of course this information should be overwritten as soon as possible aka Wikopedia but meanwhile the work around did work....Geof

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 3:56 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Geof-

You have have to understand that simply answering your question with:

i HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats

doesn't provide an opportunity for drama and turmoil. No chance to admonish you for your confusion or posting in the wrong forum, no chance for screaming, no chance to use big fat red letters ...

And calmly explaining that your justified confusion stems from the fact that there's also a
    i Plug-Ins/File Formats
    folder path contained within PS's application folder itself wouldn't show you who's the boss.

Some people need that kind of stuff. ;)

Most of us, however, prefer to help in whatever way we can. Feel free to ask anything.

"Plonking"?
    What an absolutely stupid thing to do! Seems to me that if someone had an actual "list" of people they need to avoid, they should look inward ... or stop coming.

-phil

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 6:36 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Geof:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4219

Here are the instructions from the link:

Installation Instructions

To open a DMG file:
    Double-click the file. This will open Disk Copy, which mounts the image on your desktop.

To install with Adobe Creative Suite 4 or Photoshop CS4:

Automated installation on Mac or Windows:
    1. Select Updates... from the Help menu.
    2. Follow the onscreen dialog boxes to download and install the latest available Camera Raw update.

Manual installation on Mac:
    1. Exit Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge.
    2. Open the download file, double-click CameraProfiles.dmg, and follow the onscreen instructions.
    3. Open the Finder.
    4. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the user's home folder).
    5. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats

6. Move the existing plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
    7. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4.
    8. Launch Photoshop CS4 or Adobe Bridge.

For PC:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4220

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 20, 2009 7:58 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Geof,

You are exceedingly clueless if you did not see the installation instructions on the downloads page.

Also note that my first post in reply to your question was to direct you to the appropriate forum, the ACR forum, which you chose to ignore.

Lawrence has copied the instructions for you. They are indeed on the downloads page, before you hit the download button.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 20, 2009 7:59 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Phil,

It seems to me that you should mind your own business instead of sanctimoniously preaching to the winds.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 20, 2009 8:03 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Incidentally, Phil, the last comment in your post is a waste. The s.o.b. who can tell me what places to visit or not to visit hasn't been born.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 8:14 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    > Incidentally, Phil, the last comment in your post is a waste. The s.o.b. who can tell me what places to visit or not to visit hasn't been born.

Same here - I'll decide which posts of mine are a waste.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 10:03 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Ramon there is no doubt that you are correct and your advice was extremely helpful....the fact was it was too late to solve my problem and with help from another forum user I thought I knew where to put it..I put it in the wrong place, I think you have made that point...but it DID process the files and get me out of a problem..I am a working photographer and apparently a clueless software downloader but I have to be adaptable to get things to work....now please calm down as there are a lot of people with problems out there....Geof

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 20, 2009 11:11 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    >now please calm down as there are a lot of people with problems out there

It is precisely because "there are a lot of people with problems out there" that your posts were reprehensible, Geof.

You failed to read the instructions, you failed to post initially in the most appropriate forum, subsequently you failed to heed the explicit advice to post there, you failed to believe me from the start and you still do not grasp why your solution was/is a huge mistake even if it sort of "worked" for you.

And don't try to blame this on "another forum user". No one told you to install the ACR plug-in in a folder inside the CS4 application folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 11:50 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    I didn't blame anyone else it was their post that got me working even though I made an error. Ramon just for a minute look sideways out of your ivory tower and realise that a lot of people use digital as a necessity not choice and do not have your super human understanding.I will guarantee that I will not be the last poster to have the same problem.
    Pleeese look at others point of view for a moment.Your post was also incorrect but hasn't been removed. It is possible to run Photoshop with 2 camera raws in different folders that is contrary to what you said..Geof

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 3:16 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    >the last comment in your post is a waste

Just about everything Ramon wrote here apart from providing the correct Mac path is exactly that. A complete waste of bandwidth.

I'm against it in principle, but to save having to wade through such sanctimonious piles of waffle in future I'd like to plonk Ramon. Can anyone remind me of the link that describes how to do that, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 3:26 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    I got scared when i saw the word wade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 3:38 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Wherever he goes he spreads irritation and exasperation in equal measure.

He seems to be incapable of correcting people's mistakes without being disparaging at best and insulting at worst.

In short he is a right royal pain.

LOL at Donald. :)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 4:26 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    >Can anyone remind me of the link that describes how to do that, please?

--------------------------------------
    >Hopper - 5:33pm Jan 18, 09 PST (#286 of 330)

>if anyone is interested in the plonk script, you can see it on dave's site: http://milbut.org/afPlonk.html

>again, it works with firefox and the add-in called greasemonkey.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 4:30 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    I'm with you, Donald. I had to look to see if it was capitalized, and even then,???

I have to say that Ramon was quite civil and polite in the exchange of profile meanings, even as he didn't quite see it my way.

Thank you, Ramon. Keep it up. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 4:33 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Years ago, there was a program on NPR called "Wade in the Water". i often think of that when we get into it with him, but I decided not to sully the program with comparisons or innuendo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 5:40 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Okay thats enough. dont jinx things. and keep your fingers crossed for good measure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 6:02 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    >I'm against it in principle, but to save having to wade through such sanctimonious piles of waffle in future I'd like to plonk Ramon. Can anyone remind me of the link that describes how to do that, please?

Actually, it's much nicer (IMO) to be plonked by Ramon. Then you can still read his sanctimonious BS and respond to it over here in the land of Plonk. Not that I have any real responses to his posts, especially since I sent him my regards about his daughter's recent problems with cancer, only to be plonked.

Ramon can go plonk himself, after which we won't be bothered by him at all.

> Okay thats enough. dont jinx things. and keep your fingers crossed for good measure.

Man, no kidding. You know Wade will be back, though, if only to make YOUR life miserable. 8)

Of course, that will be after he returns from his most recent trip to fantasy land, where he was hired to shoot really ****** fantasy photos for fantasy clients.

(Please, Wade, plonk me!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 6:14 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    I believe he is waiting for this forum to fizzle out without him,which he claimed would happen as i recall. okay,no more,i sense him lurking to strike.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 20, 2009 6:28 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Geof,
    >It is possible to run Photoshop with 2 camera raws in different folders that is contrary to what you said

OK, now I know you are a complete nitwit.

If you visited the ACR forum you would find:

* numerous instances of posts by Thomas Knoll, the creator of both Photoshop and Camera Raw, warning users never to have more than one instance of ACR per version of CS3; and

* many posts by users who were having trouble with ACR who fixed their problems by following Thomas Knoll's and Jeff Schewe's (who literally wrote the book on Camera Raw) instructions to delete any extra copies of ACR.

Believe what you want, but STOP disseminating bad information .

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 20, 2009 6:38 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Ozpeter,
    >Indeed, if I put someone who might be making untrue statements about me, or posting incorrect information about matters on which I am knowledgeable, on a technologically implemented ignore list, that would appear to be kind of counterproductive, as I would then be unable to put matters straight

You have a point there.

I might just unplonk the only two lowly individuals that I suspect would take advantage of not being seen, Decker and Nirque. The rest of the individuals in my current plonk list I hold to be honorable individuals (as are all other posters other than the aforementioned brace), even if their posts are simply a waste of time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 6:51 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Darn!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 20, 2009 6:57 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    Yup, I saw that, Nirque.

Guess I'll have to watch you two, and to baby sit Geoff so that he doesn't spew any more bad information. He seems to be the most dangerous kind of being, a nitwit with initiative.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 6:59 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    There are plenty of talented folks around here who give great advice who never berate and namecall at the hint of a disagreement. The more people Ramon plonks, the more pleasant this virtual place becomes. I simply don't see the level of disrespect at other sites that I routinely find here, and I think it's because there are moderators with balls enough not to let a few overbearing individuals stink up the room.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 7:06 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone
    >Yup, I saw that, Nirque.

Well?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006