Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best software to make CD portfolio

Apr 25, 2008 4:33 PM

What is the best software or way to create an autoload cd of my photo portfolio for future clients?

Currently I use CS2 creative suite with illustrator, photoshop, indesign, golive, and Acrobat Pro.

In the past this would be done using director 6 from macromedia, but I just couldn't get the hang of the lingo.

Thanks

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2008 3:21 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Try Dreamweaver!
    (not for aoutoload : )

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 6:28 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    I use iphoto to make slideshows.. then burn to CD (or DVD)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 6:44 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    I just tried that this morning. i get frustrated because apple puts some restrictions on your downloaded i- tunes, so you cant even make a simple video with audio that i paid for, to give to family.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 9:35 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Donald--

I found that as well... if you download from Apple.. you cannot burn the music to CD.
    But if you take it from a CD that you already own & imported into itunes it works very nicely.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 10:07 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    If you buy a song from iTunes, you should be able to create an audio cd directly from iTunes. At that point, you can re-import it into iTunes (or other media program) as an mp3.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 10:11 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Bonnie and hopper, i have made audio cds and when i try to load them that way, it somehow knows the song was locked and keeps it that way. i have a bunch from mccartney that have no such lock,but more current artists seem to have the block built in. i am on a mac by the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 10:28 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Donald.. I am on a Mac as well.
    In iPhoto I add the music from iTunes to my slideshow. ... export the slideshow to a .mov file. Then I use Toast to burn the DVD or CD. For me, it only works with music I have taken off of CDs. It does not work with music downloaded from the itunes store.

Hopper--
    I have tried to create audio CDs from songs bought from the Apple store (as well as tried to export slideshows using this music)... these files do not burn.. I will get a message that states the music is copyrighted & it will not allow me to use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 11:27 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    To use copyrighted music from Apple via iTunes:

1) In iTunes make a NEW playlist of the songs you want to use in your slideshows.

2) Open iTunes prefs and click the Advanced tab: click Burning and select Audio CD as the Disk Format.

3) Burn the aforementioned playlist.

4) Use the burned songs on the CD in your slideshows in whatever manner you prefer without ANY further restrictions.

You can also reimport the burned songs (minus the DRM) back into iTunes for later use.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 1:04 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Macman, i am 99.9 percent sure your suggestion is not right. i have done that exact thing before and reinserting the music cd still does not allow importing into i-movie or i photo. i can play the music as background music in i photo while a slide show plays,but when you burn to dvd,no music goes with it. I have seen software to convert the files to be usable,but i dont need another program to worry about.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 2:09 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    ahh, I do recall now .. we were unable to burn the songs, but we had a work around ... lemme think ... my son tells me it is just as macman outlined. :)

Donald, once you burn the songs to a cd (using the playlist option), the songs should be in a *.CDA format. It should then be re-imported to iTunes and will come in as an *.mp3 formatted song. You can then use the songs as you wanted to use them.

I'm almost sure that was the technique I used when I needed to use a song for a personal slideshow I made.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 2:22 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Alright i need to buy an audio cd and try it one more time. i will go step by step and cross my fingers and report back.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 2:24 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    macman... do you actually need an Audio CD to burn an Audio CD.. or can you use a regular CD & just select "burn audio CD" from the advanced menu??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 2:36 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    bonnie,

if I may step in here: any cd will work. It's a marketing ploy to say the cds are "music" cds! The software is burning "audio", but it's really data being transferred in a specific format (*.cda) so that all cd players can read the music.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 2:39 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Thanks Hopper... that's what I thought. I was thrown off by Donald indicating that he needed to go out & buy a special form of CD.

I am trying this right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 2:48 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Donald, it does work, and has done so since the advent of DRM. Folks have been using this approach for years. The only limitation is that you can burn a maximum of 7 copies of ANY particular playlist.

If the CD that you burned of the playlist still wont work, than youll have to re-rip it back into iTunes as AAC or mp3s. Once you do that, ALL the DRM data is history. Use the re-ripped songs to your hearts content!

bonnie: Any ole blank CD will/should work to burn the playlist unto. I havent heard or encountered any limitations in that regard.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 3:02 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    WOW... thanks Hopper & -macman... it works!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 3:16 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    I love it when a plan comes together! :D

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 3:17 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    BTW, check out FotoMagico: http://www.boinx.com/fotomagico/overview/
    for assembling slideshows on steroids. :)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 4:05 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Well i think i got it working also. it seems i need to go to the file import menu,and then i see a progress bar with an aiff file downloading. i actually get a song playing in imovie now,and before i had the song listed but no music played. many thanks to macman and the rest of the crew on this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 4:09 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Cool Beans Donald! :)

Hey, btw, it's good to see you again!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 5:09 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Thanks hopper. this advice has made my day. now if i-movie were not so stinking slow at rendering the clips, i could make a movie in an evening, instead of several nights.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 5:56 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Donald, how exactly are you utilizing iMovie, i.e. assembling your movie?

If all you want is transitions between clips/pics, you can bypass iMovie entirely and do everything in iDVD. Although you will lose the Ken Burns effect in iDVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2008 7:00 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Yes i am incorporating ken burns, but thanks for suggesting other options to try.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 12:31 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    ProShow Gold is the bomb for PC's ...!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 3:37 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    I agree, Ramona. I've done several presentations with it, paid for itself and a ton more very quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 3:44 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Yup, I have it too!

Of course I wonder if I need the upgrade ... mainly because it's available ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 3:53 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    I wonder if any of the tech people here know if there is a way to share a video i made, via email or some other way across the internet?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 4:18 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    > I wonder if any of the tech people here know if there is a way to share a video i made, via email or some other way across the internet?

http://www.youtube.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 5:03 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    I dont really want the whole world seeing my video, just family. is that possible using u-tube?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 5:46 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    save it as a quicktime file and send it through yousendit.com
    (I think)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 5:53 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Thanks for the suggestion. i did read on u-tube you can keep things private, but i still worry. maybe your idea is better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2008 1:26 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    If you don't have your own web site, most ISPs offer a limited amount of free hosting.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2008 1:45 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    http://retouching.com/zFashionShoot.mov

|
    Mark as:
    34. ,
    Apr 29, 2008 7:54 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Don't know if this will help any of you, but just got an email ad from Roxio that linked to this:

http://www.photoshow.com/home

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 29, 2008 8:26 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Sigh... One day, maybe one day I'll see a post with a link like shep's that contains a disclaimer like "Mac users don't bother; this stuff is Windoze only." :/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2008 12:53 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    We can't always cater for the minority Ramón!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2008 2:32 AM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/popup-color.html
    (Roxio is for kids)
    [not the brightest ones : ]

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 30, 2008 7:14 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Anyone with a sense of fundamental decency can, Joslin. But I'm not surprised you can't.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Apr 30, 2008 7:28 PM   in reply to (Garry_Bryant)
    Incidentally, Windozers may actually be the minority here. According to Microsoft's own numbers, the photography software market is split "roughly 60%-40% either way" (Mac-Windows.)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)