Skip navigation

211 OpenType fonts available with Creative Suite

Oct 6, 2003 8:52 PM

Latest reply: Neil_Keller, Mar 24, 2008 9:28 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2005 9:47 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Dan,<br />>First, that a diplomatic (even if visibly frustrated) query is always better than a display of temper. Mea maxima culpa.<br /><br />Thanks -- I know it isn't easy to come back with an apology. But it does mean a lot to us.<br /><br />Except for the occasional (and much appreciated) posts by Thomas and Dov, just about all others are from Adobe product end users like you, volunteering some time here, and probably postponing stuff that we should be doing around the house. <vbg><br /><br />Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2005 10:11 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Oh, well, the more obvious it is that one is completely WRONG and has behaved extremely foolishly, the easier it is to apologize --- really, my face was the color of the Adobe logo. :) Thanks, Thomas, for pointing me to your article. I'll grab a hold of it ASAP!

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2005 12:42 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    dan,<br /><br />If it would make you feel any better, we can beat up on you a bit more...<br /><br /><lol><br /><br />Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2005 10:18 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Only warnock downloaded when I installed Creative Suites Premium Education Version. What's the deal? How can I access my full scope of fonts in Creative Suites?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2005 4:26 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Lorrie,

I think you will find the fonts in one of the folders included with your download, unless the academic version does not include these "goodies" -- I don't recall. If you are still having a problem, check with Adobe customer service.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2005 10:59 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    But can you help me??

I purchased the adobe creative suite last year (version 3.) education system.

I only have the basic fonts (the 65 or so you list) I am on a PC, and cannot download any other fonts into my fonts folder.

I am of the belief I should have got all these fonts when I purchased the entire suite?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
    Christine

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2005 11:59 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Sorry, I've been trying to get some help on the adobe ph line all week and I guess I am getting fustrated with the whole font thing.

Right, in my adobe cs program file, there is an empty file called "fonts". There is also a file called

adobefnt07
    LST File
    591 KB

That I cannot open.it says indesign does not support that file format or a plug-in is missing.

The fonts I have are

Abadi
    Algerian
    Arial
    Baskerville Old Face
    etc,
    etc,
    etc.

The ones I am missing and trying to instal are the likes of

Futura
    Garamond
    Zapf

Sorry if I sound ignorant about all this. I am just a graphic designer who is not too flash on the technical side of things.

As I said I run Windows XP on my PC. And purchased Adobe creative suite version 3.0 education last year.

thank y ou

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2005 5:02 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Christine
    >The ones I am missing and trying to instal are the likes of
    >Futura
    >Garamond
    >Zapf

Check the list at the head of this topic. None of the fonts you want are included with your Adobe software. The Garamond included with CS would be Adobe Garamond ("AGaramond"). Other fonts you mention appear to be system fonts.

Are you sure you installed CS fonts when you installed your software? How did you attempt to install your new fonts? When you installed, did you elect to include your fonts? If you do a search of your system, do any of the names listed at the top of this topic appear? (I work with Macintoshes, so I can't tell you precisely where to look on your XP system.)

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2005 7:17 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Under XP the fonts should be in
    C:/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Fonts, regardless of where CS was installed. I don't recall if installing the fonts was an installion option. They should be available when running Adode programs without any further action. To use them in other, non-CS programs, they need to be installed in the system font folder (using the Fonts control panel).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2005 11:56 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Tom and Neil

thank you for your replies.

I have had another go at the fonts folder in CS, indesign/ fonts folder.

I have managed to successfully install a TT (true type?) font file into the indesign fonts file (my faithful Futura!) which is working for me in indesign. The other files I still cannot install, but I see they are not TT font files.

Am I correct in thinking my CS for windows XP only accepts TT font files? If this is so, that is why I cannot load the other fonts I am wanting.

So.... if this is the case, if one wants a font installed like the "blur" family, do I have to purchase an expensive TT font file or can I obtain these fonts through the adobe CS which I own?

Thank you... I badly needed futura in there so feel I have made a start..........

yours in graphic design....

Christine Rose

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2005 2:00 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Christine,
    >Am I correct in thinking my CS for windows XP only accepts TT font files?

No; that is absolutely incorrect. You should be able to use any OpenType and/or PostScript Type 1 fonts for Windows as well.

The only fonts you cannot use would be those Type 1 specifically coded for another platform like the Macintosh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2005 7:19 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Christine,

TrueType versions of fonts (with only a handful of very specific exceptions) are NOT Adobe fonts. And they would not be bundled with your CS product. They can be installed alongside Type 1 and OpenType fonts, as long as you do not have multiple fonts with the exact same name.

In addition to the above posts, I would strongly recommend that you do some reading on font installation and activation for the Windows XP platform, so that all of your fonts can be accessed in any application you have.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2005 7:27 AM   in reply to (Christine_Rose)
    Adobe products can use whatever fonts you have installed on your system. There
    isn't any need to install fonts into "the indesign/fonts folder". Just install
    fonts into windows, and all of your programs, including Adobe's, will have
    access to them. Assuming that you're on some flavor of Windows XP, this will
    include Type 1 (Postscript) fonts, OpenType fonts, and TrueType fonts.

To install additional fonts in windows,
    Start / Settings / Control Panel / Fonts
    Then, from the FILE menu, "Install new fonts"

It's possible that if you didn't install all of the Suite's applications, that
    you then it didn't install all of the bundled fonts. (Neil? Tom?). Either way,
    the 34 fonts comprising Garamond Premium Pro are NOT physically bundled with the
    suite, but are only available as a download after you register the product.

The Adobe products, when installed, install bundled fonts into unique Adobe
    directories. The actual location varies with the product, and possibly with the
    version of the product, but they're usually in either an application sub-folder
    or in a common folder such as c:\program files\common files\adobe\fonts.

This makes them INaccessible to other applications. In my opinion, they should
    all be re-installed in the standard Windows manner.

- Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2005 4:12 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Herb,
    >It's possible that if you didn't install all of the Suite's applications, that
    you then it didn't install all of the bundled fonts. (Neil? Tom?)

I'll defer to Thomas on this one. It's been awhile since I installed the complete CS product (Macintosh). And I had no problem including the bundled fonts with my other installed fonts. But the specifics evade me, now...

Personally (and regardless of platform), I'm not a fan of specific install locations for some fonts just to make them easily accessable to Adobe products. With the exception of system-required fonts, I want ALL my non-application-specific fonts placed in an organized system of folders that I create, which I access to activate and deactivate via a decent font manager.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2005 2:26 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Thank you for your help Tom and Neil.

I have managed to install Futura as a "True Type" font.

Am I correct in thinking True Type fonts are the only file types I can install?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Christine

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2005 3:15 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Christine.<br /><br />Absolutely, positively, ununequivocally, most assuredly, without reservation, not true. <vbg> Macintosh or Windows.<br /><br />Your choice: TrueType, OpenType, PostScript Type 1...you can mix and match as you please. Just make sure that you do not have multiple fonts installed with the exact same font name.<br /><br />With a very few narrow exceptions, all of Adobe's font releases have been (originally) PostScript Type 1 (single and multiple masters) and (now) OpenType.<br /><br />Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2007 6:09 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Every time I upload a word document with Arabic fonts in it, Indesign inverts all the Arabic characters. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get the Arabic font with Indesign? Thanks much
    Michelle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2007 6:13 PM   in reply to (michelle_tager)
    Please repost this in the InDesign forum. Also, for a new topic, please don't tag onto an old, irrelevant thread.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2008 3:28 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Thomas,

Do we have an updated font list for CS3 that we can substitute for this one as a new topic?

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2008 9:28 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    Thomas,

Thanks. If you have the link handy, give the topic a value of, say, 1000 or more, and that should float it up somewhere near the top. Or I can make it sticky if need be.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)