• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Capture 3D plug-in damaged" error upon start of Acrobat 9 Pro Extended - Possible Fix

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2008 Jul 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0.332, I received a "capture 3d plug-in damaged" error every time the program started. Looking for remnants of SolidWorks in the registry found nothing.

Here's what fixed the problem for me:

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. The following two entries in the registry were incorrect, with the default correct values shown:

//===============
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"="acaptuser32.dll"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\acaptuser32.dll"=dword:00000002
//===============

In the case of the first registry key, Kaspersky had previously entered several DLL's, separated by commas. When the Acrobat installer modified this key, it did not put a comma in front of "acaptuser32.dll", in effect making this dll invisible to Acrobat.

In the case of the second registry key, dword was found "1", I changed to "2".

It turns out that no repair of Acrobat was necessary, after all; just knowing where to look in the registry. No more error message on startup and the Capture3D tool works OK.

I hope this helps others.
TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2008 Jul 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice - any reason you know why Kapersky Internet Security would be altering these keys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2008 Jul 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To further add to a question posed to me about this fix, it appears that the Acrobat installer simply forgets to put a comma in front of the existing string value if it sees the value is not null. I don't know why Kaspersky puts its values in the same key that Acrobat incorrectly appends to, however it's possible Kaspersky isn't the only program that will modify this key.

At least these keys are something worth checking if the error message shows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My OS is 64-bit Vista with Kaspersky 2009 installed.

The 2 entries above mention were shown as below:

"AppInit_DLLs"="acaptuser64.dll"

"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\acaptuser64.dll"=dword:00000001

The problem will not be fixed after I changed them as David suggested: put a comma & change dword to 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Informations in error_log.txt

Succeded RegOpenKeyEx(SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows)(Check64=0)
Succeded RegQueryValueEx(AppInit_DLLs)
Failed finding substring [acaptuser32.dll] in[]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ cheung

(OS Windows 7, 64 bits) I had the exact same error. The only problem in my (and your) case was (is) in the registry key AppInit_DLLs at: SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. You should only make sure that the value data contains: acaptuser32.dll.

I guess if this does not correct the error, you have to make sure that acaptuser32.dll and acaptuser64.dll in fact do exist in Wow6432Node and System32 windows folders respectively. If they don't you should go for the repair process.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2008 Nov 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works,

Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2009 May 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked. Excellent. Thanks for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have XP with Norton.

I tried these fixes but no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my system to Windows 7 and also updated my Acrobat 9 Pro Extended installation to 9.2.0.124. I started receiving the error message, but once I corrected the registry keys it started working.

The correct entries for me are:

"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\acaptuser64.dll"=dword:00000001

The first registry key had had the DWORD value erased, so it was blank. As soon as I put the DLL name in, the error disappeared. I am using Windows 7 64-bit; previously I was on Vista 64-bit.

Thanks so much for the insight!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2009 Nov 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mmcmah,

My situation was identical to yours, and the registry fix solved the Capture3d error.  For me, resetting "AppInit_DLLs"="acaptuser64.dll" was the solution  with Acrobat Pro Ext. 9.2 on Win 7 x64.  Repairing the installation did not help at all.

My question is what is the cause of the problem, and why is the above registry edit necessary?   Is it a Win 7 compatibility issue that will be fixed with future releases of Acrobat 9?  I thought that Pro Extended 9.2 was supposed to be completely Win7 compatible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These approach didn't worked for me.

Installed is Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Professional. I tried the registry settings but they didn't worked.

I found only this file on my system: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\acaptuser32.dll

In C:\Windows\System32 there is no acaptuser32.dll nor acaptuser64.dll

I also changed the "AppInit_DLLs" to acaptuser32.dll. That didn't help, too.

The problem still exists. I found another solution here:http://tehparadox.com/forum/f51/adobe-acrobat-9-capture-3d-damaged-fix-275954/

--

Adobe Acrobat 9 - Capture 3D Damaged Fix

If you start Acrobat 9 , and a "Warning: A part of the Capture 3D plug-in has been damaged",  "To fix it you will need to repair the installation of Acrobat. This may have been a result of an anti-spyware application modifying the system's registry"

Here's the fix:

1. Right click on Acrobat.exe located in the install folder.
2. Under the computability tab; check the box and select windows 2000.
3. Apply and click ok.
4. Start Acrobat 9.
5. Wait until it's stable.
6. Click on 'Help'.
7. Click on 'About Adobe Plug-ins...
8. Click on 'Capture 3D' in left window pane.
9. Look in right window pane for 'Loaded' and 'Certified'.

All done.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these solutions worked for me.  For "teigaff's" solution, Windows 2000 was not an option--only Windows Vista--and I couldn't change it because it was disabled (greyed out).

For the registry changes, the only registry entry I could find is the following one. 'Any ideas as to what I can do? (I'm running Win 7Professional SP1/64-bit.)0001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7.1 and Acrobat 9 Pro Extended  9.4.3. I started receiving the error message, but once I corrected the registry keys it started working. I had previously used the Acrobat 9 Pro Extended  repair option three times with no success.

The correct entry for me was:

I did not need to modify the following as it was already there:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDl ls]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\acaptuser64.dll"="dword:00000001

thanks,

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2011 Sep 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly similar situation for me (Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Extended v 9.4.4)  and exactly the same solution:.  Win7 64-bit Upgrade appears not to have set a value in:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2009 Dec 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really it matters the most...thanks for sharing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So I'm a little confused because all the threads pertaining to 64bit. Is the dword on

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows] "AppInit_DLLs"="acaptuser64.dll"

a 1 or a 2? And where is this "comma" supposed to be put? My above key was 1 and I changed it to 2. Unfortunately I do not know if it fixed because I inadvertantly clicked on the "do not show this error message."

Bludyfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am running Acrobat Pro Extended 9.5.5 under Windows 10. Up until the yesterday, APE worked beautifully as it has always worked, when I was running it under Windows 7 Pro.
Yesterday I was prompted to update my OS. I did so! It seems like it was a major update due to the length of time it took to make and to restart.

When I went to run Acrobat Pro Extended, I received the error: A part of the Capture 3D plug-in has been damaged. I am also running Kaspersky Total Security 20.0.14.1085(k). Does the Capture 3D plug-in problem also have to do with KTS? I read the fix regarding the Windows registry keys. Are the ones in the fix the before or after edited versions? I checked in my Windows 10 registry, and find both keys to be identical as in the examples above! I checked character by character to be certain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines