• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to type visible text in an Acrobat document?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2008 Oct 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.I totally don't know how to use Acrobat and I'd like to know how to fill up an Acrobat document.
Whenever I try to type text in the blank fields, nothing shows and I can't see if there is text or what I'm writing.
It would be nice to know how to make the text appear in black.
I've tried the different tools but can't change anything.
Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2008 Oct 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not a word processing application. It was not meant for creating documents from scratch, but to create a "final format" for pre-existing documents. If you really want to type in text in Acrobat you can use the Typewriter tool, but you will find it very unhandy for anything but the most simple things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone PLEASE explain to me where this Typewriter Tool is?

It is not in my "Tools" and if you go to "customize Tools" it is a choice under "more tools" that says its only available when document rights are enabled.

I am working in Reader 8.1.2 for Mac and am looking at a simple PDF which is a non-interactive form that I want to be able to use the typewriter to type in. My partner in LA is on a PC and tells me she can go in this same PDF and choose "typewriter tool" from her "Tools" and type on this PDF.

I am in VA on a MAC and there is no "Typewriter Tool" under "Tools" - only "select & zoom" and "Object data".

Please help as this is beyond irritating. LOL!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the READER so it ... generally reads and not writes .. However,
if you colleague in LA opens a PDF in Acrobat Professional 8 or 9 and
then goes Advanced / Enable USage Rights in Adobe Reader /
You can open THAT PDF and use the typewriter tool in your Adobe Reader
... it will appear like magic !

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like your partner is using a version of Acrobat and not Reader.

The PDF has to be enabled by someone using Acrobat Pro before the typewriter tool will be available. It's always available if you open the PDF with Acrobat like I suspect your partner is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue recently. At work, most use is through a terminal server. Not sure if Adobe was updated, or changec, because I never paid attention to the version before. Currently it is Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0. I'm not sure if there are any other numbers to that designation as I cannot find a simple "About Adobe" under help.

In either event, there's no more typewriter under tools. However, it looks like I found an alternative.

Tools > Advanced Editing > TouchUp Text Tool

However, I am noticing it is not as versitile as Typwriter was. For example, I am trying to add numbers in a "Field" on a form, but when I click the document with the tool where I want it, it won't allow me to type where I want. I have to put the text "next" to the field title, and not under the title where you would naturally complete the field. If that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am posting again to subscribe to thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines