Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How backwards compatible are PDF Porfolios, exactly?

Nov 26, 2008 6:30 AM

I can't find any definitive info in online help, Padova's Bible, or elsewhere on how backwards-compatible PDF portfolios are. Hoping to get some help here.

I know that they can be opened in Reader 8 (as a package), can they be opened in Reader 4, 5, 6, or 7? (none of which I still have installed here). In other words, if I send out a PDF Portfolio "blind" ... have no idea what version of Reader the recipient might have ... what's the worst scenario? I could give the recipient a heads-up in the email carrying the attachment, if I knew.

What does a Reader 4, 5, 6, or 7 user see when they (try to) open the portfolio? Does anyone know?

I sent a portfolio containing a dozen PDFs and a ZIP to a new vendor of mine a couple days ago. No flash files or anything. I emailed her last night to make sure she got the files, she just sent me this:

>I got a file. I've been unable to open it yet. I had to download some software, and then I had to see clients, so I don't know what's in the file yet.

>I'll let you know at end today if I have problems. Unfortunately, I'm i the field most of the day today, and was all day yesterday as well.

And this is a savvy Mac user. (Not a designer though.) Other people I may send this to may not be so motivated, or even have the right user privileges, to download and install software ... I'm guessing she's trying to download Reader 9.

Thanks for any help,
AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2008 8:08 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    From top of my head,

Opening in an older version then 9, Acrobat/Reader will prompt the user that this pdf is from 9 and to get all benefits to download reader 9. However this can be ignored.

In version 8 as you rightly say the pdf will then open as a package.

In older versions the PDF will open on the main page and the other pdf files will be display as file attachment comments.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2008 6:00 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    When you open a PDF Portfolio in Acrobat 7 or Reader 7, you'll only see the first file. Other files will appear as Attachments in the Attachments panel (I believe attachments were introduced in Acrobat/Reader 7). Earlier versions of these apps will only show the first document. In all cases, you'll be advised to download the FREE Adobe Reader 9 to see the PDF Portfolio the way it's supposed to be viewed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2008 1:13 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    I only know what (in general) how it's "supposed" to work, based on what I was told. I no longer have Acrobat 7 or Reader 7 to test such things (nor much interest, I'm afraid). I think people should be encouraged to download the FREE current version of Reader which works correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2008 7:31 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    You be surprised especially on the PC side how many people have Reader 5 on their computers.

When I was more active in my association I use to use a a lot of pdf's. and people would complain especially the PC people they couldn't read the PDF. turns out they have Reader 5. so even though I now have Acrobat 9 and reader 9. I still I save my PDF's in Acrobat 5 format that I upload on the internet. I've asked why they don't update and they've always said that they tried the later updates to Reader or acrobat and found they gave them trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2008 2:29 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    Yeah, they have problems because their computer is about 10 years old. And they're working on virus-infested PCs so they're slow as molasses. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2008 8:35 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    Anne-Marie
    I have a related problem with portfolios where opening the portfolio directly by clicking the file name opens in the Home view. If I open that same portfolio via a link from a different pdf document, I get that terrible cover screen of needing AR 9 (which is installed on my machine). How did you replace the screen? Better yet, how can I get rid of it?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2008 8:36 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    Hi Anne-Marie,

ditto Richard above, how did you get rid on the ugly demanding screen?

many thanks, and a happy new year.

regards

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2009 8:14 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    Hi Richard, Anne-Marie,

You've probably worked out how to replace the rather loud and bullish 'Upgrade to 9 ...' screen in an Acro9 Portfolio opened in Acrobat 7 Reader. I think Anne-Marie certainly has.

I'm using Acro 9 (trial version currently) and I think most of my users have Reader 7 but, as with Anne-Marie, I certainly would not want to make them feel they have to upgrade just to access my docs.

For anyone interested, this is how I've worked it out so far:

1. Create an alternative cover page and PDF it.
    - Note where you've put it.
    2. In Acrobat 9, open your portfolio.
    3. On the View menu, select Portfolio and then choose Cover Page.
    4. On the vertical Icon bar (left column, 3 buttons on my set up), click Pages icon(topmost).
    5. Right click the thumbnail of the page to be replaced and select Replace pages.
    6. Select the page you created at step 1 above and click Select.
    7. To go ahead, select OK and then, Yes.
    8. On the File menu, select Save Portfolio.
    9. Close Acro9 and open up the portfolio in reader 7.

All the best, regards

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2009 9:48 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    Hello, i have adobe Reader 7 which i made some pdf files and sent them to someone who has Adobe reader 9. they can only open the first one and the rest they cant. is there something on my side i should be doing or on his. THanks, Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2009 12:01 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    The other files should be available as attachments in Reader/Acrobat 7. I don't have Acrobat 7 on my computer anymore, but try View > Navigation Panels > Attachments to look for the extra files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 8:55 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion
    Hi Matt,I had to shelve my portfolio project for more pressing work and just now getting back to it. Thank you for posting your approach, it helps me get around an embarrassing situation. Let's hope Adobe provides a real fix where that heavy-handed marketing page can be eliminated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2011 3:43 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

Old thread, but this link may still be helpful to others;

http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/2008/08/pdf_portfolios_and_backwar d_co.html

Basically, you need Reader 9 to see the pretty Flash stuff, Reader 8 will see a 'package' and Reader 6-7 will see attachments.

There's a good tip on that page about customising the warning page that Reader 8 users will see, and how to set a new default for future portfolios.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)