Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to Reverse Page Order in Acrobat Pro 9

Jan 10, 2009 4:49 PM

Hello Community,

I thought this would be an easy thing to do in Acrobat but so far I am finding it is not.

I am creating a PDF from multiple files, they are jpegs, and I am dragging and dropping them into the "combine files" window in the order I want them to be displayed. However Acrobat reverses this order as you put them in and then gives you no chance to switch the order. It gives you the option to move the order one by one (which is nearly impossible when the jpeg titles are img1824, img1623, etc.) so they other option is to add the files I want backwards, which my brain can not do, I like to work forwards, not backwards nor should I have to.

So once I create this backwards PDF, isn't there a way to just reverse the order of the pages? any help is appreciated.

e~

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2009 10:17 PM   in reply to (E_Flint)
    There is no command to reverse the order of the pages. It never would have occurred to me that anyone would need this command.

Why don't you just rename the files in the order you want them to be in if you have filenames like "img1824"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2009 2:17 AM   in reply to (E_Flint)
    Run this from the JavaScript Console (Ctrl+J):

for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--) this.movePage(i);

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2009 6:47 PM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

Worked like a charm! Thank you.

Frank

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2010 6:55 AM   in reply to (E_Flint)

Here's the answer: Put this file in your Acrobat Javascipt Folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Javascripts) and start Acrobat.  The Reverse option will be under the Document menu underneath Header&Footer.  In case you do not want to download the script I have copied it below.  Works like a charm.

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse", cParent: "Document", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0
    });

function PPReversePages()
    {
        var t = app.thermometer;
        t.duration = this.numPages;
        t.begin();
        for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--)
        {
            t.value = (i-this.numPages)*-1;
            this.movePage(i);
            t.text = 'Moving page ' + (i + 1);
        }
        t.end();   
    }// JavaScript Document

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2010 11:38 AM   in reply to GQDiaz

Is there something in the code that only allows the menu item to be added in Acrobat 9? I have a user that will be needing this feature a lot in the very near future and adding this menu option would greatly help with an upcoming scanning project but I tried adding the script to correct directory on her system with Acrobat Standard 8 but I don't get anything on the "Document" menu or the "Document > Header & Footer" menu.

On my Acrobat 9 Professional installation using the script I get the menu option right on the "Document" menu.

Also, now I am being a little picky here but how would I get it further down on the list so that it is grouped with other "like" page commands?

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 1:56 PM   in reply to GQDiaz

This is a special thank you for solving a problem that has eluded me for too long.

I do appreciate it. So simple but so effective! (And I don't have a Macintosh)

Ed3618

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 9:50 AM   in reply to GQDiaz

Wow GQDiaz,

What a wonderful gift you have given us! You have saved me hours of shuffling pages one by one between large cumbersome document scans.

Your script works like a dream. Thank you for this gift.

With kind regards,

jaxios

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2010 2:12 PM   in reply to jaxios

Anyone have any idea where this script should be put on a Mac. I could really use this script!!

Thanks for writing it!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2010 2:17 PM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Found it:

a.     WIN XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat \9.0\JavaScripts

b.     WIN VISTA
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0\JavaScripts

c.     MAC OSX
    /Users/YOURUSER/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/9.0_x86/ JavaScripts

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 12:57 PM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

How do you "run" the script? I got the box open, the script is in, so now what?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:01 PM   in reply to LARadtke

Reverse Page Order.png

Under the Document Menu, you will find Reverse Page Order. Just click on that. (see attached screen shot)

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:04 PM   in reply to claidheamdanns

You must have a different version than me, I dont have that option. (I have cs4 Acrobat 9 Pro)

I ended up printing to PDF and selecting reverse page order there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:09 PM   in reply to LARadtke

I have the exact same set up (on a Mac).

Printing Reverse Page order works, too. We mainly use the reverse page order option when we need to send the PDF itself to a customer.

It's been a while since I installed mine, but I think I remember tweaking the coding some myself to get it to show in the menu where I wanted it to show.

But in any case, it should show under the Document menu somewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:12 PM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Ah, yes, I remember now, it used to show up under the Header & Footer in the Document menu. I changed the code to make it show directly under the Document menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:14 PM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Still beats me, I can't find it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:16 PM   in reply to LARadtke

Are you on Mac or PC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:17 PM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Admittedly, PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:22 PM   in reply to LARadtke

That still shouldn't be a problem, as long as you installed it in the right place.

I take back what I said about changing the code to make it fall in "the right place" in the menu. I am looking at my copy of the code right now, and I only changed the Menu Name for the command.

Here's what I have:

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse Page Order", cParent: "Document", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0

});

function PPReversePages()

{

var t = app.thermometer;

t.duration = this.numPages;

t.begin();

for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--)

{

t.value = (i-this.numPages)*-1;

this.movePage(i);

t.text = 'Moving page ' + (i + 1);

}

t.end();

}// JavaScript Document

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 5:27 PM   in reply to (E_Flint)

Here's a lo fi, non script method of printing reverse.  You basically create a whole new pdf, the but the process shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Extract all the pages in the document to somewhere you can find them.  Be sure to add 0's before the extracted page numbers 1 through 9, this will keep them in order for the next step.  Now go to File> Combine> Merge files into a Single PDF...  Either find the extracted files in "Add Files..." or simply drag them into the window.  Now click the "Name" tab on the top left and this will reverse the order of the pages.  Press "Combine Files" and now you have a pdf in reversed order you can print.  Hope that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2010 5:07 AM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Thank you so much!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 12:27 PM   in reply to GQDiaz

I was able to get this to work in Acrobat Pro X for Mac by changing the following.  Acrobat 10 did not have a drop down menu called "Document."

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse", cParent: "Document", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0

to

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse", cParent: "View", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 3:36 AM   in reply to (E_Flint)

superb!!!!!!........it worked.................

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 10:25 PM   in reply to GQDiaz

loovely

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to (E_Flint)

I'm having the same problem, and I can hardly make sense of the advice you've been given, so I'm just going to tell the recipient of my document to reverse the pages themself. That this is an advanced command that requires the use of scripts seems completely absurd to me, and just reinforces my total lack of interest in updating my old software. I have the trial version of Adobe Acrobat Pro X at the moment and as soon as I can go back to my dinosaur software (and get my serial codes, etc, since I'm traveling), I'll do so. Advanced functions are great, but it's really frustrating that the user side isn't taken into consideration more in the process of updating software.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 2:48 PM   in reply to GQDiaz

It's been a year-and-a-half since this script was first posted, but it proved to be EXACTLY what I needed today. Thank you so much!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2011 1:55 PM   in reply to (E_Flint)

how i can use it in acrobat x in windows 7 64bit?

ich copied the scipt to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Javascripts an edited

to

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse", cParent: "View", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0

i tried too, to find the folder "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\JavaScripts" but the folder "JavaScripts" doesn't exist in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\

i created the folder an copied the script, but it still doesn't works.

regards

Flocci

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 2:23 PM   in reply to (E_Flint)

This is an unreasonable (stupid is a better adjective) Adobe programming error which should be addressed by an Adobe automatic update.  To date, Adobe is forcing its customers to waste a lot of valuable time attempting to seek a solution to this reverse page order problem.  My situation: I converted a numbered 10-page Office 2007 Word document to an AA 9 Pro Extended PDF file, which produced all pages in reverse order.  My fix: Print the PDF file again to a new PDF file, selecting "Reverse pages" in the print dialog box (this option was not available when first printing/converting the Word file to a PDF file).  Result: reversed pages converted back to the correct page order.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 9:58 AM   in reply to (E_Flint)

Thanks so much, a huge help in a 38 page pdf

|
    Mark as:
  • JR_Boulay
    481 posts
    Nov 23, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2011 8:18 AM   in reply to graphixdezign6

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...