Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How about an Eraser tool?

Jan 8, 2007 4:48 AM

How about an Eraser tool in "Advanced Editing" tools which could be used to remove extraneous marks from scanned documents?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2007 3:35 PM   in reply to (drdocument)
    It would be nice but, Acrobat isn't geared towards the manipulation of bitmap images. They sell Photoshop for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2007 4:25 PM   in reply to (drdocument)
    If it's just a page or two you can get around this by using the crop tool to crop the file top/bottom /left/right until just the text or image (the desired information) is showing then when you go to print have the acrobat print menu to automatically center on the page and choose none for fit the margins or such (how much enlargement. you should a document with the correct amount of margins all around and none of the junk.

Now if this is for a ton of work then it would become tedious.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 2:15 AM   in reply to (drdocument)
    I have also been looking for an eraser tool. I found a helpful tool in "Organic Tool Box". However the perfect eraser you can find in "Paperport" which accept "tif" files. Convert your "pdf" file to a "tif" file, do your document cleaning, straightening and OCR and save it as a "pdf" file. Works for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2008 9:19 AM   in reply to (drdocument)
    Though I'm currently using the PaperPort/OmniPage combination for creating/editing original documents, I was hoping to do away with both and use Acrobat. The Crop Tool doesn't help with extraneous marks like the Eraser Tool in Paperport does. I'm using Acrobat 8.1.1. Where is this 'organic tool box' located?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 2:28 AM   in reply to (drdocument)
    Hmm i'm searching for an eraser tool myself. Offcourse if you have the original in word, psd etc you can edit it here, but unfortunately often times you received pdf's from suppliers. If you covert it to tiff, edit it and pdf it back the font gets ugly. Hope this will be integrated it feature versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 6:49 AM   in reply to (drdocument)
    If its not available it would be a neat idea. If you can find feedback request on the acrobat portion of the Adobe website. It would be a good feedback request for Acrobat 10 which will be out in two years (at least) I think. IF its not too complicated they might could add as an update to 9, Maybe?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2008 5:13 PM   in reply to (drdocument)
    I agree this would be nice. There are ways around it, but this would save some hassle. I agree they probably won't do it though :(

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2009 1:37 PM   in reply to (drdocument)
    This works for me:

1. In Acrobat, do a Save As to convert your PDF file to a TIF.
    2. Open the TIF in Photoshop.
    3. Do your erasing using the Eraser Tool.
    4. Do a Save As to convert back to a "Photoshop PDF".
    5. Open the new PDF in Acrobat to check the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to PDN

I did a workaround for this by creating a white rectangle to cover the area I didn't want.  does the trick for simple stuff. image 1.png

image 2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to (drdocument)

The Redaction tool can be used to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

Thanks! I didn't know that.  unfortunately though the Redaction tool is only available with the Acrobat X Pro, and I just have Acrobat Pro. 

here is the link for anyone's who's interested:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/pdf-redaction.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to Sarah GL

The Redaction Tool is available in Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:
  • JR_Boulay
    481 posts
    Nov 23, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to Sarah GL

unfortunately though the Redaction tool is only available with the Acrobat X Pro, and I just have Acrobat Pro.

No, the Redaction tool cames with version 8: http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2009/07/redaction-tips-and-techniques-f or-acrobat-9/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to (drdocument)

This is one that I don't understand.  There's an eraser tool.  When I mouse over the eraser tool icon, it says "Erase Free Form By Clicking and Dragging".  I click on it and I get a target icon.  So I try to click and drag to clean-up the edges of scaned pages and it does nothing.  Why have the tool if it doesn't do anything?  I'm using standard XI.  I've got to convert it to a graphic or find another tool to do something this simple because I didn't purchase another product?  What is the eraser icon doing in the tools if it doesn't work?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to beardevo

It does work, but only for free form annotations, as it (not very clearly) says... So if you draw something with the Pencil tool you'll be able to delete parts of that drawing with the Eraser tool, but that's ALL it can do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)