Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

the error "invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit"

Jul 29, 2008 10:19 PM

I have gotten the RIKLA from Adobe. And I use the example code BasicPlugin(you can download it from Adobe wetsite) as my plug_in, then, I made the api file according to the steps in document in the "Creating an Adobe Reader Plug_in" section of the "Developping Plug_ins and Applications". As last,I copy the api file to plug_ins folder, open Adobe Reader 8. I saw under the Tool memu there is a new menu named Acrobat sdk so that I think the api file is loaded successfully by Acrobat reader. But an error appears, it is "invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit". Can someone tell me why?Thank you.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2008 11:19 PM   in reply to (bruce628)
    The first thing to check is whether the plug-in actually does its job
    when you load it in Acrobat.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2008 12:47 AM   in reply to (bruce628)
    >When I open the acrobat reader

I assume you mean Adobe Reader; the last version called Acrobat Reader
    was 5.1.

What I was asking you was to check that the plug-in loaded correctly
    in Acrobat. NOT in the free Reader. You must test in Acrobat first.

I assume you have got a Reader enabling kit and license from Adobe to
    write Reader plug-ins? If this doesn't sound right, you need to read
    the document about developing for Reader.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 6:57 AM   in reply to (bruce628)
    I installed Adobe Reader 9 and when I open pdf file, after 3 seconds appear the message "Invalid plugin detected adobe reader will quit".

Some on would help me about this error.

Thank You

Flavio dos Santos

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2008 11:49 AM   in reply to (bruce628)
    sounds like you have an old custom plugin installed. Remove it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2008 2:52 AM   in reply to (bruce628)
    Hi bruce,

Even I tried the BasicPlugin Sample but I did not get the Menu added in the menu bar. Every time, I open my reader I get the error "Invalid Plug-in". Can you please tell me what the issue is? Because you are also getting the same error but at least when you click on tools options, you can see your plug-in. I am not even able to see the plug-in.

Thanks,
    Amruta

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2008 4:57 PM   in reply to (bruce628)
    Which version of the Acrobat SDK are you using?

Sanctus

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2008 7:15 PM   in reply to (bruce628)
    I am also has the error.

sdk version 9.0
    Reader9.0

And anyone can tell me why?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2008 7:39 PM   in reply to (bruce628)
    If I disalbe the following code No that error
    ACCB1 ASBool ACCB2 PISetupSDK (ASUns32 handshakeVersion, void *sdkData)
    {
    //data->handshakeCallback = (ASCallback)ASCallbackCreateProto(PIHandshakeProcType, PIHandshake);
    }

But if I don't disable the above and just return true in the following code has the error

ACCB1 ASBool ACCB2 PIHandshake(Uns32 handshakeVersion, void *handshakeData)
    {

return true;
    }

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2008 8:10 PM   in reply to (bruce628)
    Did you Reader Enable the plugin as per the SDK?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2008 4:49 AM   in reply to (bruce628)
    Yes, I don't enabled the plug as per the sdk.

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2008 9:37 AM   in reply to (bruce628)
    I tried up-issues (Adobe Reader 8.1.2+) and got the same error "invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit".

I fixed this error by following laborious steps described in the Adobe Technical Support Home.
    Not sure if this helps you guys; but worth a try. Developers should say if this the real cause.

You can find these in the "plug-ins" folder. [C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins]

"HAEvents32.api" is the main culprit. Along that, I removed "Helmant32.api" and "Helmbkmk32.api".
    Without deleting these two, an error or two might come but still PDF will work. I tried all these combinations.

Note: Delete these files if present anywhere else in the system else they recreate themselves.

Forgive me if this is not a place for kids like me. :) I am not a Techie ;) Thanks every one.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2008 8:14 PM   in reply to (bruce628)
    Those are NOT standard Adobe plugins...I would contact the author/publisher...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2009 10:38 AM   in reply to (bruce628)

I think you guys are making thing way too complicated.

Here is why I got this error.

I had the normal Adobe Reader 8 but I found out that the new Adobe Reader 9 Pro has this OCR text recognition thingy which is the coolest thing ever for college student like me. Anyway, after I downloaded the trail and got the best out of it, it expired and left me with nothing

I am going to skip the next part because I end up uninstalling the Pro and then installing it again hoping I will get another 30 days (silly me) but from doing all this the 8 got all messed up.

Now, I competely got rid off the Pro and have 8 but it kept getting the above mentioned error. Here is how I fixed it because nothing worked from the previous posts:

1. I opened the .pdf file

2. I clicked on Help

3. Clicked on REPAIR ADOBE READER INSTALLATION

4...and magically everything works just fine again

I hope this helps to some of us.

Peace!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 11:00 AM   in reply to bulgariangirl

Unfortunately the instructions did not work for me.  I received this 'invalid plugin detected' immediately after I had installed CutePDF Writer.  Obviously it has installed a plug-in somewhere which Adobe Reader is picking up on, it then terminates the program.  I have uninstalled the programe and have tried to clean my Windows 7 operating system with CCleaner, all to no avail.

ADOBE this is not good news, so many hits on this in Google, you've messed up big time.  The only way to get to my PDF documents is to get another PDF reader installed. I guess that is the last Adobe wants, so please get your finger out and sort this out.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 2:46 PM   in reply to P-Jansen

I don't understand what this has to do with the Acrobat SDK.

It sounds like you've discovered an issue with the CutePDF product, not ours.  Why don't you report the issue to their support staff?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to lrosenth

Let me recap; Adobe Reader is not working and you suggest to let CutePDF know and provide a solution?  CutePDF is working very well! Considering that more than 3 million queries were raised through Google on this very subject makes me wander whether Adobe actually realizes to scale of this problem.

I have resolved the issue by renaming the "plugins" directory to "plugins deleted" and then restarted Adobe Reader.  It has rebuilt a new directory and the program works fine now.  The option in the Help pulldown menu does not work for me.

Regards,

Pieter.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 10:16 AM   in reply to P-Jansen

You told me that Reader was working fine UNTIL you installed CutePDF.  That would seem to imply that when they install their software it causes problems for us.  I also know that users who do NOT have CutePDF installed don't see any such problems.  Seems pretty clear where the problem(s) lie.

Also, be aware that without plugins installed, you have turned off a HUGE amount of functionality in Reader including the ability to properly view and interact with a variety of PDF files.

Wouldn't it be easier to use a proper Adobe Reader and a PDF creation tools that doesn’t cause conflicts?  There are other free PDF creation tools out there that don't have such issues...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 12:09 AM   in reply to (bruce628)

I have met the same problem.

Our plugin is developed using SDK 7 and worked fine under Acrobat 7/8/9.

This afternoon we receive the certificate from adobe and then i use "SignPlugin" tool to sign our plugin.

The sign process is successful.

But when i start up Reader 9.2 it shows the error.....

Could somebody tell me why?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 3:10 AM   in reply to ChromeUser

You need to use the signing tool in the Acrobat 9 SDK, since the Reader IKLA key is only valid for a single version of Reader (9, in this case).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 4:48 AM   in reply to lrosenth

Yes, we are using the signing tool in acrobat 9 SDK.

Should i build my plugin with acrobat 9 SDK?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 5:26 AM   in reply to ChromeUser

For Reader, yes.  For Acrobat, you can continue to use SDK 7 if you wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 12:48 AM   in reply to lrosenth

I have build my plugin with acrobat 8 SDK by VS2005.

And then run makemd32.exe return by adobe as the following steps:

• Type the path to the plug-in.
    • Type the path to the keypair file generated above.
    • Type the path of the file to store the encrypted message digest. It is recommended that you save this as msgdig.rc.

Next i replaced my plugin's  API_ENCRYPTED_DIGEST data segment by msgdig.rc.

Build my plugin.

Startup Adobe Reader 8,the same error appeared.

Also,the cert returned by adobe is 624 bytes and i noticed that it should be 554 bytes said by "Developing Plug-ins and Applications" in acrobat 8.1 SDK,

Is it OK?

For Reader 9 I see the helper below pointed by adobe.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/9/Acrobat9_HTMLHelp/wwhelp/wwhim pl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?&accessible=true

As the doc mentioned,after I receive my cert i just need using SignPlugin.exe to sign my plugin,but that cause the "Plugin Hash Failed" error.

If i copy the dummy.rc & RIKLA-DigCert.rc content into my plugin's resource file,the signing process is successful.

But it can not load by reader 9.

Did i missing some keys?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 3:21 AM   in reply to ChromeUser

That is correct, because the key you were provided is only for Reader 9.  As described in the agreement that you signed to obtain the key, the key is only good for a single version of Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 5:42 PM   in reply to lrosenth

But the agreement said that

“Reader” means versions 8 and 9 of the Adobe Reader software application, on any platform, if made generally  commercially available by Adobe during the Term.

Even if the key is only for Reader 9, i signed my plug in conformed the way Adobe mailed me and it still can not be loaded.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 5:51 PM   in reply to ChromeUser

OK - then you have a agreement for both.  I haven't read them recently.  It should then work.

I would contact support and check in with them...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 5:55 PM   in reply to lrosenth

Thanks!

We are urgent to resolve this problem for our customer need this product.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 5:54 AM   in reply to (bruce628)

Has anyone tried this in Visual Studio 2010?

thanks,

Roboblob

http://blog.roboblob.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 6:05 AM   in reply to Roboblob

VS 2010 is not supported for development of plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 12:31 PM   in reply to P-Jansen

Thanks P-Jansen!  

The solution from 'bulgariangirl' didn't work for me either, so I try the one from  'P-Jansen' and worked. Goto C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader and rename the [plug_ins] folder to [plugins deleted] (Maybe any name will do it, but I prefered to go with the sugested one.) Restart Adobe Reader and walla! Error is gone!

At least from the user point of view this quick fix works, however, for developers the root of the problem is not solved yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 3:54 PM   in reply to (bruce628)

Excuse me. I don't know if my case is the same as the rest of people, but maybe It can be usefull to tell you. Two days after the mentioned error message appeared I was thinking a little about what I did on my PC just before the error began to manifest. I realized I just installed Babylon software (the trial version). Then I uninstalled it and all is right again. Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 1:04 AM   in reply to (bruce628)

I went to adobe file under reader deleted all plugin files. then went to control panel and opened program, clicked on aadobe and clicked on change and selected repair and all right plug ins are added. then the error did not show any more. this good luck

c:program files: adobe: rader' reader: plugin

As you see I am not technical, however I took the risk based on comments on this blog and it worked.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 1:32 AM   in reply to RubenOF

thank you!!

I have the same case, but I didn't unistall the Babylon. I just removed the Babylon  folder in

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins

and the adobe reader works great!

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2010 7:08 AM   in reply to riv6

Great!!!. That is better. Thank you very much. Tell me: ¿Does Babylon

work correctly?

El 22/07/2010 5:32, riv6 escribió:

thank you!!

I have the same case, but I didn't unistall the Babylon. I just removed the Babylon  folder in

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins

and the adobe reader works great!

thanks

>

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to (bruce628)

After Install Acrobat Reader 9.3.3 in  Hebrew I Got this message invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit

1. I moved all the files and folders under C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins to  backup place.
    2. Try the pdf reader and it is working
    3. Then copy from backup folder folder by folder until I Got this error again.
    4. In my case it was babylon that makethe crash so I delete it and it work fine

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 4:41 AM   in reply to (bruce628)

Last night I installed Babylon 8.0, Feedburner  and Wordfst and after these actions I couldn't open my Adobe Reader 9.3.3 which functioned fine before these installations. I went to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\plug_ins and find that the main culprit for this was Babylon 8.0. Then I tried to remove it but every time I opened Babylon this folder recreated itself. I probably should have deleted it completely, i mean the whole program but I really need it so now I use one at the time and every time I have to move Babylon plug in to folder Optional or to delete it. It works only if Babylon is closed. Only then my Adobe Reader works. I have to say its really tiresome...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 1:20 AM   in reply to (Jittu_Sharma)

in response to: (Jittu_Sharma)

Nov 16, 2008 10:37 AM in response to: (bruce628) Re: the error "invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit"

I followed your instructions

"You can find these in the "plug-ins" folder. [C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins]"

I finally found my culprit, I deleted one file folder at a time, then restored them from my Recycle Bin.

I finally found my culprit, in the folder “Babylon” the file “BabylonRPI" was the main culprit.

I deleted the whole Babylon file folder, and havent had the error "invalid plugin detected. Adobe Reader will quit" ever since.

Thank you very much kid, you kept it simple, I am not a Techie either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 4:40 PM   in reply to Fiona808

It is very useful your info. I have not tried again. I have

uninstalled Babylon like you. I will not installed it until Babylon

repair this bug. I think that is the better to do.

Thank you

R

El 27/07/2010 8:41, Fiona808 escribió:

Last night I installed Babylon 8.0, Feedburner  and Wordfst and after these actions I couldn't open my Adobe Reader 9.3.3 which functioned fine before these installations. I went to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\plug_ins and find that the main culprit for this was Babylon 8.0. Then I tried to remove it but every time I opened Babylon this folder recreated itself. I probably should have deleted it completely, i mean the whole program but I really need it so now I use one at the time and every time I have to move Babylon plug in to folder Optional or to delete it. It works only if Babylon is closed. Only then my Adobe Reader works. I have to say its really tiresome...

>

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2010 9:06 PM   in reply to RubenOF

Babylon plugin caused this error on V9.3.3 reader. Goto plugin flder delete the plugin, restart adobe, wala everything works A_OK.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)