Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Custom Toolbar button in Adobe Acrobat Reader

Jan 13, 2009 5:36 AM

Hello Everyone,
I need to add a custom toolbar button in Adobe Reader using C# 2.0 and performed some custom tasks by clicking on this button.

Could anyone guide me, how to add a custom toolbar button in Adobe Reader application?

PS: I have create a Shared Addin for adding Custom Toolbar for office applications but have no idea how to start for Adobe Reader application.

Your instant reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Malik Irfan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2009 6:26 AM   in reply to (Malik_Irfan)
    You can add buttons with Acrobat JavaScript or a plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2009 7:34 AM   in reply to (Malik_Irfan)
    Look at 'Introduction to SDK' in the Acrobat SDK (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2009 11:03 AM   in reply to (Malik_Irfan)
    As Bernd recommends, you need to start by downloading the Acrobat SDK which has all documentation, sample code, etc.

HOWEVER, in order to develop a plugin for Adobe Reader, there are two things you are going to run into very quickly.

* You MUST use C/C++. C# is not supported.
    * You MUST get a (paid for) license from Adobe Systems in order for your plugin to run. (there is no cost to develop a plugin for Adobe Acrobat, however).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 8:49 AM   in reply to (Leonard_Rosenthol)

I'm ok with just using Javascript to make the toolbar button, instead of C/C++.

I assume you mean by your second point that I actually have to own Acrobat professional, which I do.

I tried looking at the documentation, but it keeps crashing my browser.

However, from my experience with all other Adobe products (Studio MX, Authorware, etc), I do not expect a detailed walkthrough from start to finish, with pictures saying "click here" and such.  Does this help manual actually contain this sort of thing?

I really appreciate the fast replies!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 10:19 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

Yeah, I just looked at that.

The example tells me nothing.  It is a one-page pdf that says 'click here to add the button' and 'click here to remove the button.'  There is nothing that looks like a tutorial or walkthrough.  There is nothing describing what was performed to make the button.  Nowhere is there text explaining where to start.

If I don't already know what I am doing, a walkthough would be ideal for helping me learn. 

Does such a walkthough or tutorial exist for making toolbar buttons?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 12:54 PM   in reply to EmperorsDryCleaner

Did you open up the button and look at the script behind it?

You may also want to look at the AcroButtons tool from Windjack Solutions (http://www.windjack.com).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)