Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

'Unable to start print job'

Jun 1, 2007 3:49 AM

That's the error message I get with Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 (and Reader) when I try to print a .PDF with my Win VISTA 32-bit setup.

The full message:

Unable to start print job. Is printer available?

Yes, it is.

Nothing I can do in printer settings seems to fix this. I have seen this error message floating around from others, but no fix.

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2007 2:54 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    I am unable to print statement i can see I went to down load and print options I can see the statement but cannot print each time I only get three words on a blank page

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2007 4:17 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    You may just have to wait until AA8 has been updated for VISTA (sometime this month I think). Keep in mind, that AA8 is not stated as being VISTA compatible - and you have found that to be the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2007 4:37 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    Hey Guys,

This is the message we have been getting: Unable to start print job. Is printer available?

We figured this one out...There is a dropdown menu under Comments and Forms in the print menu. Your choices are document, document and markups, document and stamps. We were defaulted to document and markups after having opened our PDF link to view over the internet. We changed the Comments and Forms to Document (only). Then we were able to print. See if this helps some of y'all. We are currently running Adobe 8.0 on Windows XP with all updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2007 5:12 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    The UNABLE TO START PRINT JOB. IS PRINTER AVAILABLE? error message is due to a corrupt installation. Not caused by you (Reader) or by your computer but, I believe, by an error in Adobe'e installation program. I only came across this after allowing Adobe Reader 8.0.0 to update itself to 8.1.0 but it may also affect others. I am running XP, not Vista.

Solution:
    1. Go into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and remove Adobe Reader. If required at this point, restart your system. Now go into My Computer, click on the Folder button, and on LHS navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe and delete any Reader folders found there (prior to your uninstall there would have been duplicates - which is the cause of the problem). Remove any Desktop shortcuts and entries for Reader in your Startup List.

2. Go to Adobe's website and download afresh. After the installation, restart your computer. You should not have the problem again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2007 1:48 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    I had the same problem with Acrobat Professional 8.1 which was fixed by going to "Help - Repair Acrobat Installation".

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2007 11:21 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    Thanks a lot. I had the same problem with Adobe 8
    Indeed, First close all your windows!
    Then open Adobe reader, then look on top and klick
    ===>Help ==> Repair Adobe Reader Installation.
    Wait a minute and you can print whatever you like hahaha

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2007 6:35 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    Have been trying the solutions in this thread, thought it fiexed the problem but then it stopped working.

Start with: Was getting Unable to start printer issue.
    Tried: Reinstalled Adobe 8.1.1 and that fixed it, but then the next day tried to print PDF file and didn't work? Any ideas?

User can print everything else ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 9:33 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    I am running windows XP and recently downloaded Adobe Reader 8.1.2. When I try to print any .PDF document (new or old), I get a "Unable to start print job. Is printer available? message. I checked the printer, nothing is in the que and the printer works fine with every other program, except the PDF files. I have tried uninstalling it and it will not. I have tried to install updates and it will not. It asks me to check on a patch, and I don't know how to do that. I have tried installing version 7 and it tells me no, I have a more recent version...

I have tried changing the comments and forums drop down menu; Advanced: print as image or not; and also switching print to file, off. All result in the same error message: "Unable to start print job. Is printer available" I have spent countless hours with the tech support for the HP 3 in one Printer, and there is nothing wrong with the printer. It would appear that a patch is missing to solve this problem? Please help :)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2008 9:03 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    This problem just cropped up for me today for the first time, very similar to everyone else's description of problem. Luckily, googling for "adobe reader unable to start print job" led me here, and after reading through the various solutions, started with the Help>Repair Adobe Reader Installation approach. Voila! Problem fixed. Let's hope it doesn't continue to recur!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2008 10:58 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    After trying fixes above I'm still getting the "unable to start print job. is printer available?" message. I have Adobe Reader 8.1.2 installed to server X and clients run it from there. All works fine when I run Adobe Reader at server X or when fully installed to my client PC. Help/F1 not displaying is another issue. Anyone else run Reader in the same server/client scenario?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2008 12:17 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    Tried everything above. Nothing worked. Went Start - Settings - Printers and Faxes - Right click target printer - properties -advanced - printing defaults - quality - graphics - apply. Worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2008 7:20 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    This forum is for FULL Acrobat - ask Reader questions Here
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.3bbf42f7

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2008 6:36 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    Mary Stein
    I've fixed this problem a few times this year on over 8 machines running Vista... Its a permissions problem, except now I CAN'T find solution online anymore. there is a file in Adobe that has too tight permissions and thats why PDFs won't print as soon as I change file to permit everyone. the problems fixed for good. reinstalling only fixes the issue for a moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2008 6:51 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    I had the problem with both Acrobat Reader and the Full Acrobat 8 Professional, versions 8.1.2 and then 8.1.3. I was able to fix it by running the Repair Acrobat Installation option on the Help menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2008 1:12 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    A customer called me with the same msg. Let me explain first what the problem was..they had a Graphic PDF that on the HD was 20 MB but when extracted was well over 200 MB..first I had thought the pdf was exceeding the Printers memory but after testing it was not. The customer was printing the document using adobe PRO I had him print the document in reader 8.1 and made sure the print as image under advanced was selected and the document printed..

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2008 7:21 PM   in reply to (hkrause)

TO: Stan Rose

I tried your fix by running the "Repair Acrobat Installation" and it worked just fine. Thank you for posting this.

I had tried lots of other things, including two unsuccessful calls to Technical Support. I almost ended up taking the trouble to re-install Acrobat, but then I saw your post and did not need to. (I did re-install Adobe Reader 9.0 twice, but it made no difference.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2008 5:57 AM   in reply to (hkrause)
    Glad that worked for you. It was actually the simplest fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2009 1:49 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    to solve "unable to start printing job"

1- open control panel
    2- open add/remove programs
    3- remove adobe acrobat reader
    4- go to this web site http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    5- download "Foxit Reader 3.0 for Windows" by clicking "Free Download"

enjoy opening, reading and printing you PDF documents with no errors or bugs

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2009 2:34 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    I had the same problem also until I upgraded to 8.1.3, and now it prints. I never did try repair (that was next step...)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2009 1:43 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    I solved this problem by doing the following:

1. Go to File.
    2. Choose the "Print" option
    3. On the Print window choose the "advanced" option.
    4. If on the "settings" options change from "custom" to "acrobat default".

This is how I solved the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2009 2:31 PM   in reply to (hkrause)
    @Stan Rose

Many thanks. Your elegant Repair Acrobat Installation solution worked for me just now -- Acrobat Pro 8.1.4, Windows XP Pro -- after weeks of trying other suggestions in these forums (and quietly going nuts).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2010 2:03 PM   in reply to (hkrause)

Go to:

File >> Print >> Click "Advanced" at the bottom left >> check "Print as image" >> Click "ok"

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2010 4:41 AM   in reply to (hkrause)

Printers and faxes - (right click on printer) - properties

Advanced - check Start printing after last page is spooled.

that worked for me, other dont

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2010 12:45 AM   in reply to (mary_stein)

Experiencing the same and trying very little but with agrevation I went to Adobe Reader properties, show setting for all users and changed the compatibility mode for all users to run all as an administrator and finally able to print the PDF.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)