Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Linking to within a PDF using named destinations

Aug 24, 2007 11:39 AM

This topic is moved from the Feature Request forum. Leslie and Errol wrote:
We're talking about make a large manual that consists of many PDF files arranged in a hierarchy. It begins with an HTML file where the user chooses a topic that takes them to a PDF file that serves as a table of contents. The user then chooses a specific topic. Here's the issue. The specific topic is NOT always the first page of the corresponding PDF. Named destinations are set correctly. If you open the TOC PDF in Adobe (and not the IE plugin of Adobe) the links work correctly to the appropriate destinations. If however, you follow the links from the original HTML file, it uses the Adobe plugin inside IE. The links to the destinations DO NOT work in this case - it only takes you to the first page of the PDF on the topic, NOT the specific destination within the document.

The problem is described here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=326332

We're looking for a workaround. The new version of Adobe Reader 8 does the same thing. We can't use another browser because the manual is set for mass distribution in a corporate environment and changing the destinations to page number works, but it's endless amounts of data entry.

Any ideas??? We were thinking maybe using an eBook reader that opens PDFs instead of IE?

Your help would be much appreciated.
Leslie and Errol.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2007 9:01 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Gloria,

Thanks for all the information you've posted. I've used links to destinations in PDF files produced from FrameMaker frequently with no problem. I've also created PDF files from Word that contain links to destinations in another PDF file.

I remember that the various versions of Word require different methods to create the link to a destination. That was a problem for me because I was collaborating with someone using a different version of Word--links would work for me or links would work for her, but not both.

Now I'm trying to use Word XP to create a link to a destination and I see no way to do that. The Hypertext dialog lets me link to a bookmark, but it has no way of parsing PDF files to let me link to a destination there. I think I used to (in a previous version of Word) be able to type in "#destination" at the end of the link, but I can't be sure. Any ideas on how to do this in Word XP?

Thanks.

Jeanie

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 12:15 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Gloria,

I want to create links in Word files, convert Word to PDF, and then put the PDF on our web server. The links will go from the Word/PDF file to another PDF file (also on the web server) that contains a named destination.

My question is more about how to create the links in Word XP. The dialog doesn't seem to offer a way for me to add the "#destination" part of the link. I tried typing that in as part of the path for the link, but when I look at the link properties in Acrobat8, the named destination is not part of the link. Even before I put the file out on our web server, I can see that the link won't go to the destination.

Thanks.

Jeanie

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2007 4:13 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Hello group,
    I'm having a similar problem Gloria described with named destinations that seem to get stuck at the first. In my case, however, it doesn't seem to matter whether I wait a few seconds or a few minutes.

I have a large PDF handbook being placed onto a website with a navigation frame on the left. The navigation frame links to named destinations in the PDF. The first link that is clicked works like a charm. Clicking for a different destination doesn't do anything at all - not even reload. If I click out of the PDF and then back in, perfect the first time, and then zilch again for any subsequent clicks.

Has someone else encountered this and/or found a solution?

Much thanks!
    - Jennifer

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2007 9:27 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Hi All:

I have a similar issue in that I am using Adobe Acrobat to generate a manual in PDF from word. All works great, including bookmarks. Except that destinations are not automatically generated. Destinations are needed because an automatic system would be nice to bring the reader to a certain point in the document from a program. The only way I can see to do this is using the Adobe SDK and the only way to go to a certain point in a document is to use destinations.... Why can't one goto a bookmark automatically and / or convert all bookmarks to destinations easily? Having to manually input destinations in Word is a real issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2007 12:27 AM   in reply to (jefforthober)
    I believe third party plug-ins exist to do this, but I can't recall
    the names.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 12:42 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Hi Gloria,
    Thanks for your feedback. I have a sample of what I'm talking about that I've just posted. I currently have Acrobat 6.0 Professional for the PDF creation (resulting in PDF 1.5), and the version of the Reader plug-in I use doesn't seem to make a difference (though I have updated to 8.0 just to be safe!). I've used named destinations instead of page numbers because the documentation I've seen online indicates that destinations are better supported across versions and browsers.

http://www.childaction.org/prototypes/test.html

If I choose any chapter in the menu frame to start out with, the destination works. If I then choose another chapter, nothing happens. To make something happen, I have to back up to the start page and then choose another link. Each destination works by itself, but not one after another. IE and Firefox both have this same behavior.

If I can confirm FOR SURE that upgrading to 8.0 Pro for creating the PDF will fix it, I'm sure I can get management to approve a license for me. Can you confirm this is the functionality I'm missing?

Thanks again!
    Jennifer

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 8:26 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    I just want to add a note to this discussion: I had a problem linking from HTML to a named destination in PDF. I was using the following general syntax:

http://localhost:8080/folder/book.pdf#nameddest=M5.8.newlink.somename

where "M5.8.newlink.somename" is the text of the named destination. These names are generated by FrameMaker PDF export, hence the "Mn.8.newlink" prefix.

The above syntax was recommended by several sources I found on the web, and it works in Firefox but not in IE. (IE simply goes to the last page of the document. Not good.) However, the following syntax DOES work in both Firefox and IE:

http://localhost:8080/folder/book.pdf#M5.8.newlink.somename

In other words, leave off the "nameddest" property, and just place the destination name immediately after the # sign. I believe this is what Adobe's official propaganda actually advises, but there is so much contrary information out there, I thought adding this note might help someone out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2007 5:26 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    I want to link to a specific bookmark or named destination within a PDF on the web from another word file on the web. Is there a way to do this? Also, How can I determine the name s of the bookmarks or named destinations that are contained within a PDF?

Donald

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2007 2:03 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Hi Donald. I don't know anything about Word in particular, but I would guess the method is just what I wrote above. With regard to viewing named destinations in a PDF, you will need Acrobat Standard or Professional. There is a menu option somewhere that will display the named destinations. (I don't believe Adobe Reader has this feature. I don't believe Adobe Reader has ANY features.) Good luck. -- Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 9:22 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Gloria--thanks for your sleuthing on this! I'm on Acro Pro 7.0.9 and going to try David's suggestion. If it's nogo there, upgrade to 8.0.

David--Do you happen to know of any way to specify custom named destinations in Frame 7.1 source files--for example, attaching to headings? I'd like to eliminate the step of adding them manually to a finished PDF.

Thanks,
    Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 9:57 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Yes, you can add named destinations to the Frame source. Just use the 'Secial' > 'Hypertext...' marker with the command "Specify Named Destination". (If adding the marker to body text, remember to apply some character formatting to define the extent of the linked text. Blue-color formatting might be advisable to get the traditional hyperlink look, although any other formatting will work. See the Frame docs.)

Frame will convert this marker to a named destination when exported to PDF. Just be aware of the funny prefix that Frame adds. If you enter "somename" as the destination text, the actual named destination in the PDF will be "Mn.8.newlink.somename", where "n" is the number of the Frame file in the book. (Not sure what happens of you're just saving a solitary .fm file. Google it.) Also, I think spaces in the destination text are converted to periods, and there is the 32 character limit mentioned above. Very important.

Now, if you are linking between Frame-generated PDFs, then it would be best to just use Frame's built in cross-refs. They will work fine. Note that if you are working with books, there may be some subtleties: If you are linking between books, and you want the links preserved in the book-PDFs, I think you need to have *just* the book files open when you "Save as" PDF. That tells Frame to target the book PDFs, not chapter PDFs. Something like that. Also, the Frame book and PDF directory structures must match, I think.

That may be more information than you were looking for. Let me know if you run into problems. -- Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 10:53 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    David--My main problem may be solved with your advice to eliminate "nameddest=". If not I'll upgrade Acro. That problem is critical path and involves making named dest link from help file to PDF work in the PDF.

The matter of inserting named dests in Frame source rather than PDF is tertiary priority or less--nice to have. It doesn't involve inserting a hypertext command or jump into Frame. It involves inserting the custom *destination* of a jump from a help file into Frame so that I won't have to insert it manually later in the PDF. I've never found a way to do this and the Frame help is no help.

But thanks anyway,
    Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 11:10 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    I don't really understand what you're trying to do. I may have confused you, because of my remark about character formatting, which only applies to hyperlinks, not destinations.

What I explained before is how to put a "destination" into the Frame source. If you want to insert an actual hyperlink to a web page, then use the "Go to URL" command in a Hypertext marker.

You must either want to jump IN or jump OUT, right? I think we've covered both, no?

-- Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 4:05 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    I'm creating a TOC with hyperlinks to named destinations. If I create a destination (a document subheading) close to the bottom of page 10 (for example), the destination is defined on page 11 and the link display the top of page 11 not the subheading. The page layout is set to continuous. I want each link to display the destination text the same distance from the top of the window/page. Any suggestions how I can achieve that?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2007 10:48 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    David--Your tip about using just # instead of #nameddest= works well. Thanks.

David & Gloria--I did a quick test of putting a hyperlink for named dest in a FM file. I see what you mean now. At least I see the result in the PDF destinations. I probably won't have time to test further until next year. Thanks a bunch!

I don't know why I continue to be surprised at how poorly the user info for FM and Acrobat is integrated. Just a sentence or two in the help of both would've saved me a few hours on this, back when. I wonder if their product managers ever meet.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2007 11:10 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    I see Adobe as being very similar to Microsoft. They have a dominant product like Frame or Acrobat, and they just sit on it. Bugs persist for years and years. Requested features are never implemented. I doubt Frame 8 is much different than Frame 5. Over the past 10 years, has Frame evolved at all? The version I used in 1997 was essentially identical to the version I am using right now. If FrameMaker was produced by a two-person company (two people who cared about their product), it would be vastly better than it is. With one week of work, they could make it vastly better than it is. Alas. Corporate software.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2007 10:06 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Gloria

Thanks for the reply. I was creating the destinations and hyperlinks in Acrobat. As you explain in the second to last para the problem is that the page number jumps to the next page when the view is about 3/4 of the way down the previous page. This is a bug. I have worked around it as you describe but this does mean the hyperlink jumps to different positions on different pages - an annoying inconsistency.

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2008 3:28 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Richard

To define the named destinations at the correct place you first need to set the page layout to 'single page', 'continuous' works for displaying but not for defining.

Then you resize the height of the window displaying your pdf inside Acrobat (not the Acrobat main window) so that it can display the place near the bottom of the page where you want the destination to be without jumping to the next page.

Make sure you didn't scroll to that view, but navigated there via keyboard keys or scroll bar. Otherwise Acrobat won't catch the right position. If you did scroll there, click into the page once.

Now create a named destination and link to it. The link should now point to the correct position in continuous page layout, too.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem entirely, since text positioning and scroll raster don't allow for exactly the same distance from the top of the window to a given text. You can work around this too by toying with the window size, but that is a very annoying task.

Stefan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2008 6:18 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    How do I create a named destination in Word?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2008 7:07 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    You can only create a named destination an Acrobat. But you can creat links to document strtuctures within Word.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2008 10:49 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Is it possible to use both a nameddest and a search term? specifically I want to be able to have a link point to the nameddest and from there start the search term highlighting..
    the syntax i'm using is #nameddest=heading&search=term
    it works but it seems to goto the nameddest then the search starts from the top, so if the term is found higher up, it doesn't work right, -any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2008 1:05 PM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Just solved this issue for my wife's company. The problem with her files was that there were extra spaces at the end of the destination names. I just deleted these extra spaces within the Destinations section of the PDF and they appear to be working now.

Pantagrool

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2008 7:11 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Has anybody solved the issue of named destinations 'sticking'? I am working on an internal web application with help links that open up a PDF file in a separate browser window. Each page of the application links to a different named destination within the PDF. The named destinations work perfectly the first time the user clicks on the help link. The problem we are having is if the user scrolls the PDF, then closes the help popup, and then clicks the same help link again, the PDF will popup to the last position the user was looking at.

We have found that if the user clicks on a different help link (different named dest) and then goes back to the first one, the first one will then open up at the right spot.

I am assuming this is some kind of browser caching issue. I have recreated it in both IE6 and Firefox2.

Does anybody have any solutions?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2008 7:57 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Hi everybody,

the point with the Print Field Gloria mentioned sounds very interesting. But I want to add destination names in an automatic way, when the word document is transformed into the pdf file.
    I need the headlines and section names to be transformed into destination names. Currently that works good for the creation of bookmarks, but I want to address these headlines using an URL like: testDoc.pdf#Headline1

Does anybody has an idea how that could be realised?

thx,
    Matthias

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2008 3:06 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    Gloria,

thank you very much for this hint. I have searched for days now to find exactly that kind of tool.
    I tried the Trail Version and what it does is: It creates named destinations out of bookmarks. And because the sections are bookmarked when converting a word document into a pdf file that works fine for me.

Thx again,
    Matthias

P.S. Small literal error in Gloria's link. Here is the correct one: http://www.evermap.com/autobookmark.asp

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2008 4:10 AM   in reply to (Gloria_Mc)
    One problem I notices when addressing the generated destination names using a URL was the following.

Destination Names in URLs are not allowed to contain space characters (" "). That's a problem when addressing to headlines that contain them. But the AutoBookmark plug-in provides a feature to rename the bookmarks before generating the destination names.
    (Just as a hint.)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)