• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat v9 Pro and Standard Runtime Error!

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2008 Jul 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company recently got in the CD's from Adobe for Acrobat 9 Professional and Acrobat 9 Standard.

I installed Acrobat 9 Pro on one of our systems. The system got a runtime error every time Adobe Acrobat started citing "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Initially, I thought it was an issue with that system. So, I installed Acrobat Standard on two other systems. Both units get the same error.

Of the 3 units 2 are identical IBM workstations with some different software installed. 1 is an HP system. The OS is a fairly clean Windows XP SP2 otherwise very stable installation.

I searched Adobe forums and here but haven't come across much version 9 questions/comments.

Initially, I was going to fully uninstall Acrobat and try the installation again. However, now that 2 other systems are getting the same error, I feel it would be a waste of time.

Any ideas on what to look for to resolve this issue?

Previous version was the latest v8 which 9 uninstalled.

Thanks in advance!

-Dean

EDIT: I did come across this for version 8 and tried the same fix with 9, but to no effect:
================================================================================
C++ Runtime error after launching Acrobat or Adobe Reader 8 on Windows
Issue
When you launch Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard, Professional, or Adobe Reader 8 on Windows, an error occurs:

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Solution
Disable the Updater.api plug-in.

Navigate to where Acrobat or Adobe Reader is installed, usually
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins
or C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\plug_ins
Rename the Updater.api plug-in to Updater.api.old
Relaunch Acrobat or Reader.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make a new admin domain account and then open acrobat in the new account then try it in the old. you might have to install on the new account but creating the new admin account should work for you. plus make sure 8 is totally off. let me know how this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Since posting the original message I have tried completely uninstalling Adobe 8. Then I installed just the Acrobat 9 Reader.

I got the same runtime error with the reader executable.

I tried disabling NAV Corporate services and the results are the same.

I have installed Acrobat 9 Pro using a different user account. It made no difference.

Open to any ideas. I have a post on experts-exchange as well.

The runtime error- is it a general conflict between the adobe executable and *some* piece of software on our systems?

-Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean,

Did you try Eric's suggestion?

Sabian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes- the results were identical.

-Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2008 Jul 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am seeing the same issues here on a fully patched XP SP2 system that had Acrobat 7 Pro on. I did a full uninstall, reboot, then installed Acrobat 9. Installation went fine, but pretty much nothing is working properly, giving the runtime errors. I tried the suggestions posted here to no avail, as well.

I installed the application on drive D:, not C:-- I may try to uninstall and put it on C: as I've noticed at times Adobe's apps seem very unhappy not in their absolute default locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2008 Jul 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

I am SO glad someone else has this issue. Well, not glad you have issues- but glad to see it's not all that unique.

I suspect you won't have any success installing on C: as I installed on C:.

That problem is that Acrobat 9 takes quite a while to install and time is money.

I spoke with Adobe tech support and it took 30 minutes of the women reading her script and me saying "I did that but will try again."

I told my Manager I thought we were better off sticking with v8 until some patch is released for v9.

I am simply not confident that I will get a resolution with level 2 tech support at adobe. But I am confident it WILL take over 1hr of my time at least.

These systems are fairly vanilla IBM workstations with updated BIOS and not too many apps installed.

Too much of an uphill battle IMO to make v9 work.

But I may attempt to call Adobe again if I have downtime.

-Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the culprit...

Acrobat 9 (reader and pro) do not play well with Redirected Folders in an Active Directory environment. More specifically... a redirected "Application Data" folder.

Any of my users which do NOT have roaming profiles (aka redirected folders) have no problems running acrobat 9. In other words, users who have their "Application Data" folder in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data" are fully functional and do not receive the C++ Runtime error.

Perhaps the Acrobat developers will have a fix for users of the new millenium who use UNC paths...

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. We also have roaming profiles, but I'm the only one who ever actually "roams".

~I was starting to think that may have something to do with it, but have no control over user accounts.

-Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to talk to your IT Department.

Sabian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to get with the program, as folder redirection is becoming increasingly common and there's no reason they should have such issues with it. We had issues with Acrobat 8 not looking in its own installation directory for files there, that it expected in the user's (roamed) "Application Data" folder. (on installation, the files were put both in the Acrobat folder, and the user folder-- instead of copying them over if missing, or looking in Program Files\Acrobat it crashed) Thankfully it was only on specific functions that not many of our users ever used, but I had to copy files manually for those users who did need it.

I run a computer lab with about 40 machines for 300 students-- we have to use roaming profiles, so if this bug is tied to that, well.. I guess we don't use Acrobat 9 until it's fixed.

Thanks for finding that out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want Adobe to get with the program you have to let them know.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2008 Jul 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi
i had the same problem. the trick is: if you have reader 9 and acro 9 instolled on the same machine you've got plenty of problems. Try to destroy reader, this helped on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2008 Jul 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is the flaw... Since i dont see many people saying WHAT the flaw is.

==== THIS IS WITH ROAMING PROFILE CRASHES! ====

Adobe's program iterates the network path from left to right, skipping the first word: \\Server\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\APPLICATION DATA as it searches a user's profile for the APPLICATION DATA folder.

So starting at FOLDER1 it checks to see if it can "create" a folder. It doesnt do it, but it tries to check its access. If your not in the users profile at this point, the program MOST LIKELY cannot because its a directory NOT owned by the user. THe previous folders is something you wouldn't give NORMAL users access to.

After the program FAILS to "create" its folder because it cannot -
The program Crashes:
*R6025 - Pure Virtual function call
* The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x2e80f5e3
* C++ runtime error
* WINDOWS NAME Collision error.
=== ITS ALL OF THESE! Same error, different points in the crashing ===

Solution?
I create a network drive DIRECTLY to the profile, then I update the registery to make that the WINDOWS APPDATA path. ALL of this is done on the user logon scripts. So it was just "solved" one day, except for a new drive letter appearing.

(Added to login script)
net use l: \\SERVER\USER PROFILE TREE\USER PROFILE
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v AppData /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "l:\Application Data" /f

For our work we use: \\SERVER\USER PROFILE TREE\%USERNAME%\%COMPUTERNAME% - so each user has SEPERATE data per computer they are on.

ADOBE - PLEASE update your code so it doesnt iterate like this! If it does RESUME on error, to see if its recoverable before the END of the interation. These are simple mistakes...

THIS will also fix the SIMILAR / SAME(?) BUG in ROXIO products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2008 Jul 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the exact same problem. Redirected folders for appdata, as we have users using different PC's almost daily. Is there anyway to exclude certain folders from appdata redirection? PS I am the sys admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2008 Jul 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to let you all know that the fix Daniel Gorman mentions worked for me. Here is the thread title he posted under for easy searching:

Daniel Gorman - 7:00am Jul 22, 08 PST (#13

The issue is indeed with Folder Redirection. Mapping the profile and modifying the registry to point at the new 'Application Data' directory fixes the problem with Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Standard for me.

I have created a batch file that runs on each workstation that must run Adobe applications, and have not had any more crashes. The file executes from the following location on the local machine:
>C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Using this fix avoids having to create unnecessary local admin accounts.

Earlier threads in this forum incorrectly blamed this crash on the Macromedia Activation service:
>C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

-Thomas Ciecka

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2008 Jul 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note to say that I have sent this item as BUG using the Adobe form on their website.

I included both a description of the problem and the workaround.

-Tom Ciecka

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2008 Aug 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error, and Adobe Tech Service was unable to provide a workaround. I had to go back to v8.0 Pro and get a refund for 9.0. Another example of a premature software release.

BM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2008 Aug 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem within our establishment, though it works on PC's and laptops that are not connected to the network.

Has this problem been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2008 Sep 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel appears to have the fix if you're using XP, but this doesn't work in Vista. Vista wants a UNC and gives an error message "Invalid drive: I:\" when you try to run 9.0 after setting up the batch file.

I have two workstations on which I have to use folder redirection. Come on Adobe!

Anyone know of a way to make it work in Vista?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

If you want to contact Adobe either use their official tech support or
file a bug/feature request.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike. I posted a bug report last night. Based on some of the other posts here, I didn't have much enthusiasm for contacting Adobe's official support. If I can't get a workaround by Monday, I'll probably contact Adobe Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've got it figured for Vista. You have to map the drive on each individual machine first (using the same drive letter you've used in Daniel's script addition, of course), then set up the login script as Daniel posted. The drive mapping should point to \\SERVER\USER PROFILE TREE\USER PROFILE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE on the workaround: Although the workaround works for Acrobat, it hoses Nuance PaperPort's settings in the way they interact with the OneTouch scanner software provided by Xerox for the Xerox Documate 252. Here's a link to the fix for that problem:

http://support.visioneer.com/KnowledgeBase/Articles/VIS1202%20-%20Preview%20Works%20but%20Scan%20is%20not%20Sent%20to%20PaperPort%2010%20or%2011.asp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Thomas Ciecka - there is Harald Loidl - are you able to send me the batch file you created to fix the runtime error problem of Adobe's Acrobat. - my mail-adress is: h.loidl@aon.at
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines