Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0

Aug 26, 2008 2:04 PM

ReInstall Adobe Acrobat 5.0
I had to reinstall windows and now I have to reinstall acrobat 5.0 (I know all the other versions are newer, bigger, badder etc. but I only use this about twice a year for completing forms and so it is quite satisfactory.)I have my disk and my codes, but I cant find the manual. Online searches provide information about the newer versions
Now my problem is I cant get it to install. Apparently, there is no auto install. Exploring the CD fails to find any obvious instructions that I can access Thanks to Microsoft office refuses to open that early version of word documents, and the HTML instructions are really great They consist of:
- Make sure you have at least 120 MB of available disk space for a Typical installation of Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.
- Make sure you have turned off all anti-virus software before beginning the installation.
- Install Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.
Duh!
HOW DO I INSTALL MY ACROBAT 5.0?
(and lets use the installation for dummies version)
(Ive got the hard drive space and the anti-virus is turned off)
I have the CD in my drive, and using explore I find the Acrobat 5.0 folder
Looking inside I find setup.exe but clicking on it produces nothing it doesnt run
Likewise the only other exe program in the folder ISDel.exe- same result
Clearly something else has to be done, but when your installation instructions consist of:
- Install Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.
Adobe makes it tough and their manual isnt even written in Japlish.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2008 3:27 PM   in reply to (Steve_Burrage)
    Same version of Windows? Which one(s)?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2008 5:50 PM   in reply to (Steve_Burrage)
    Select the Acrobat 5 folder on the CD and start "setup". When you are done, you can go to the Adobe site and select the downloads>updates and Windows Acrobat. There are several updates there to download and install. Generally you install them in order unless it says otherwise. Of course you don't need to do the other languages and such. You will note the plugins for saving as XML (including HTML), Capture, etc. If you do not have those after installation, then you know where to find them. Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2008 6:21 PM   in reply to (Steve_Burrage)
    I just tried the Acrobat 5>setup.exe on VISTA (I did not do the install, just brought it up to the splash and continue button). That worked fine and then I canceled the install. It seems you did not get that far. My CD is for AA5.0, not AA5.0.5. The later I got on this machine (and XP) with the updates.

Of course, on VISTA I got a compatibility warning as I would expect. But continuing got me to the splash screen I mentioned. Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2008 10:52 AM   in reply to (Steve_Burrage)
    My Acrobat 5.0 installed fine (original disk) but I get an error from Vista - "Acrobat 5.0 is incompatible with (Vista). I can't find any patch or any references to 5.0 and Vista in the Knowledgebase. Is there a patch? Should I just ignore the Vist alert? It appears to open files ok so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2008 1:31 PM   in reply to timtro
    >- "Acrobat 5.0 is incompatible with (Vista). I can't find any patch

That's right. You would want 8.1 or later.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2008 12:50 PM   in reply to (Steve_Burrage)
    I have the same problem as described by Steve Burrage above. Except that nothing seems to resolve this issue. I am just unable to run the Setup.exe file to install Acrobat 5.0.5 on Microsoft XP. I am able to install the CD on other XP machines but not on mine.
    It is a new laptop which I got with Vista on it. AA 5.0.5 couldnt be installed on Vista and after I converted the machine to XP it is still not working.
    I tried after removing Adobe Reader and shutting off the Anti virus program. It just doesn't work.
    I hope someone can suggest a solution.
    Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)