Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't change default setting in Acrobat

Jan 29, 2009 3:46 AM

When I try to change the Acrobat PDF Settings it always reverts back to the Deafult Setting "Standard". For example, I need to set the CMYK color profile to FOGRA 39 and then create the PDF. I've tried to hit OK and create PDF and I've also tried to save the settings... but it does not work. When I Save As I end up saving a file containing my settings but it does not show up as an option in the scroll bar under Adobe PDF Document Properties. Also clicking on it does nothing.

To put it simply: What must I do to create a PDF document from Word using the settings that I want, eg. my own settings for page size, color profile, etc.

Operating system: Windows Vista SP1 32 bit
Acrobat Standard vr 8.1.3
Office 2007

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2009 8:18 AM   in reply to (Andy_Cars)
    We're having this problem as well on 2 machines with InDesign installed. On my machine, without InDesign installed this is not an issue. We're trying to Print to a PDF out of Quark and cannot change the "Default PDF Settings" without manually doing it in the Adobe PDF Printer itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 10:12 AM   in reply to (Andy_Cars)
    Try making the changes in Distiller. Then set the default setting file and paper options in your printer settings (in the START>Printers menu, not in the application). Any changes made to the printer in the application will only hold for that application run. I think the only way to change the settings file is in Distiller itself, but I am not sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 10:30 AM   in reply to (Andy_Cars)
    Bill, the problem is they're not changing/holding in the application anymore. If I change it in quark, press OK, then re-open the same dialog it will have already reverted. It doesn't do this on my machine where indesign isn't installed, but it does on the other two - with the same version of quark, and acrobat (8.1.3).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 2:47 PM   in reply to (Andy_Cars)
    Not sure. It always has worked for me. Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2009 6:01 AM   in reply to (Andy_Cars)
    >We're having this problem as well on 2 machines with InDesign installed. On my machine, without InDesign installed this is not an issue. We're trying to Print to a PDF out of Quark and cannot change the "Default PDF Settings" without manually doing it in the Adobe PDF Printer itself. >

If you have InDesign on your system, some of the PDF settings are not available until you move from the Extras folder (where they are installed by default) to the Settings folder. Typically, the Extras and Settings folders are found in (Windows Vista) ProgramData\Adobe\AdobePDF, (Windows XP) Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 10:03 AM   in reply to (Andy_Cars)

I had the same problem on Vista and Acrobat 8. The problem caused probably be wrong installation. Acrobat tries to look for templates in a wrong directory. That’s why you can’t add any new template and change current .

Solution

1)     1) Execute Regedit

2)     2) Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\PDF Settings.

3    3) Change value from

C:\Users\[Administrator]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings\ 

to

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings\

4)      4) Copy templates from

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Settings

To

C:\Users\i030915\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings

5) That's it 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This