Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF Fillable Form -data in fields disappear

Feb 28, 2009 2:12 PM

We have a fillable savable form created with Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. Sometimes the form emailed back to our office and opened in Reader Version 9 appears initially to have blank fields unless you click into the field - you can then see the data. However, you can't print the form with the data displayed and the data seems to disappear when you click to the next field. If using Reader version 8, and if you click the highlight button it acts like a toggle switch to view the data in the fields; however you still can't print.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how we can fix it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2009 2:20 PM   in reply to (Tricia_Tate)
    To print the data select document & markup in the print box.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 1:15 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2009 4:49 PM   in reply to (Tricia_Tate)

Can you post a sample? It may be that printing is not allowed. There was also a problem with viewing the fields in some versions of Acrobat. That was taken care of with updates I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2010 7:55 AM   in reply to (Tricia_Tate)

I found a fix for printing the data in the fields.  Using Acrobat 8 Professional I went to the field editing and selected all the fields and made them no fill. Some were white, some were none, but doing this made all of them visible and printable without losing the data.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 8:18 AM   in reply to (Tricia_Tate)

It is possible that this is related to an issue with Acrobat Forms that are filled out on Mac OSX.  Apparently Mac OSX's Preview.app isn't writing any appearance into the form fields nor  it is setting the "needs appearance" flag within the PDF. Here is a link to a fix for the issue from Joel Geraci's blog at Script to Fix Mac OSX  Preview.app Form Fill and Save.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2010 7:00 PM   in reply to (Tricia_Tate)

I am having the same problem.  A form created in Acrobat 9 Pro and posted on our website for people to download, complete and email back.  Sometimes they are fine.  Others come back looking blank, with the boxes 'blued out'.  If you click on a field, the data appears in that field only.  When you click on another field, the data in the first diappears, and the clicked one appears.

Because this seems to work in some cases and not others, I wonder if it might have anything to do with the version of Acrobat the user has.

Having bought Acrobat 9 Pro just so that I could do this, I would love to find a solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,676 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2010 7:59 PM   in reply to blampyre

The most likely cause was mentioned by Lori. For a recent topic with more information, see: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/750334?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 8:24 PM   in reply to LoriAUC

Thanks Lori. The link you posted doesn't work but I was able to Google for Joel's blog and download the script. For other it's at http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/2009/11/script_to_fix_mac_osx_prev iewa.html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2011 10:57 AM   in reply to chrispjd

thanks for the help chrispjd, solved my problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)