Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat 9.1.0 crashes

Mar 28, 2009 8:40 AM

Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:16:37 AM PDT
I got the 'updates available' message this morning. I updated AcroRead 9.0 and Acrobat 9.0 standard. After the reboot to finish the
Acrobat 9.1.0 update I got the following error message:
AcroDist.exe - The application or DLL c:\Program Files\adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\AGM.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check
this against your installation diskette.

Having not installation diskette (for 9.1.1 - I have my 9.0 cd) to check against... I went to add/remove programs, selected Acrobat, Change, Repair. After about 20
+ minutes it finished... I rebooted my workstation. I did not get the previous error and started Acrobat 9.1.0 - when I tried to ope
n a .pdf I created with Acrobat 9.0 I got the following message:

Adobe Acrobat 9.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The file previews in the 'File/Open' dialogue, but 9.1 crashes on any .pdf!
If I create a new file the editor loads, but as soon as I try to save 9.1 crashes! I have searched Acrobat Forums and the Web and ha
ve found MANY other people with the same issue! What is going on? and when can I expect a fix to be able to use my $300 program again?
Operating System: Windows XP
Has it ever worked?: 9.1.0 - NO... 9.0 - Yes
Same results with different file?: Yes
Same results with different computer?: Yes
Recent System Hardware or Software change?: Yes

Adobe tech is closed (nice - wish I could take weekends off)... So has anyone found a fix, other than just going back to V9.0 - if that is even possible. From what I have read the un-install doesn't work and doing a system restore does not give me any good vibes...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2009 8:47 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    Adobe strongly recommends that you DO NOT have both Acrobat and Reader on the same system. When you remove one of them, you should repair the other (Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove programs.

Ken F.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2009 11:12 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    No. At this point you probably need to remove both and install only one.
    One of the reasons Adobe only recommends one is that they use files in
    common. If you remove or change one you can break the other.

Remove both if possible. Run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool then
    install one and only one of them.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2009 6:54 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    As a last resort before ginving up on Acrobat, I suggest that you try to remove Acrobat using Microsoft's Windows Clean Install Cleanup. You might have some junk in your registry that Add/Remove did not remove. Then you can try reinstalling Acrobat.

I had similar problems as you have had. They went away after i started with a clean slate.

Good luck to you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 5:50 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    I still cant get my update working Grrrr.

http://iphone-sim-unlock.com http://www.iphone-sim-unlock.com/3g-sim-unlock/ http://www.iphone-sim-unlock.com/t-mobile-unlimited/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 8:45 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    You should NOT reinstall Reader after installing Acrobat. You will not need it.

1. Uninstall Reader using the Windows Install Cleanup utility.
    2. Repair Acrobat, or uninstall Acrobat using the Windows Install Cleanup utility. Then, install Acrobat.

Ken F.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 5:12 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    I have the same version of the Windows Install Cleanup Utility and file name as you. The file size is 357,424 (349 KB) or 360,448 (352 KB) on disk. My file system is NTFS. I downloaded it October 2005. The last modification date was in November 2006 due to auto updates. It has always done what I asked of it.

I cannot say what the effect will be, if any, having two copies of the "same" utility installed.

Ken F.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 10:24 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    I have the same problem after upgrading to Acrobat Pro 9.1. I have both Reader and Acrobat Pro on my system because I sometimes prefer using Reader to Acrobat because it opens quicker, and I can double check security settings on pdf files I've created.

A conflict between these two programs seems like weak programing to me, and advice to remove one of them sounds like Adobe wants to take the easy way out.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 7:55 AM   in reply to (Moot)
    When I had both Reader and Acrobat on the same system, I had many problems with Acrobat. When I deleted Reader and kept Acrobat, the problems disappeared. Since that time, I have had no problems with Acrobat (updated to version 9.1) whatsoever. If this wounds "weak," I apologize. [grin]

You do not need and should not have both installed since Reader's functions are a subset of Acrobat's.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2009 5:13 PM   in reply to (Moot)

I guess I am not the only one when it comes to crashed after update to Acrobat 9.1.0.

Major bug so far that i see is I cannot copy simple text from any PDF file after the update. It immediately crashed Acrobat with this:

AppName: acrobat.exe     AppVer: 9.1.0.163     ModName: saveasrtf.api
    ModVer: 9.1.0.163     Offset: 0000237a

I first noticed it when I tried to copy something from inside Firefox - my browser would just close and ask me to restart...

Repair didn't do any good, just a waste of about 30 minutes of my time. I had to fully uninstall and reinstall 9.0 to figure out what went wrong.

Everything works fine in 9.0 - Nothing works fine in 9.1. Strangely there were no problems in Reader 9.1...

People stay away from upgrading to 9.1!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)