Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ocr  error This page contains renderable text

Apr 25, 2008 10:28 AM

First time caller,first time user: acrobat 8.0 pro, i purchased acrobat to begin to ocr a lot of pdf's i've made. this first one i've tried to ocr gave me the error message: Acrobat cannot ocr this page, This page contains renderable text. what does this mean and is there a workaround to allow the page to be ocr'd.

I'm not trying to turn it into a word document, I just want to have searchable text, so i believe i choose searchable image, english and 600 dpi, but no dice.

Roxylee

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2008 2:40 PM   in reply to (roxylee113)
    How was the PDf created?

Is it a scan?

If not, then you can't OCR it. At least not with Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2008 9:46 PM   in reply to (roxylee113)
    Basically, Acrobat can only OCR pure graphics. If a page has had any text or other items added, it can no longer be converted. The only work around is to save it to TIFF files, open them in Acrobat to create a new PDF, OCR the new document.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2008 6:45 AM   in reply to (roxylee113)
    I keep coming across this renderable text issue in documents I am processing for the web, and frankly, the TIFF work-around is not adequate. We pay a lot for Adobe Professional, and expect more than such a lame work-around which hinders the output quality. In addition, this is a tedious solution for large documents as well.

I have found several other posts on the web about this, with some references to Adobe updates fixing this problem. I have tried them all and none work. Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2008 6:39 AM   in reply to (roxylee113)
    Step one: How was it created?
    Step two: Is anything currently searchable in the PDF before you try to OCR?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)