Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Revert to 8.1.0 wildly unsuccessful - what next?

Apr 28, 2008 9:52 AM

I upgraded to Acrobat version 8.2 when the reminder came up (big mistake) - this version contains a bug that adds a pair of characters in front of the odd page footer. (The bug has not been fixed by Adobe, and you can read the sad story of it here: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/?128@@.3bc2775c in the topic titled Acrobat 8 adds extra characters to the running header.)

I looked at my previously very successful PDFs and see they were made with Acrobat PDFMaker 8.1 for Word, Acrobat Distiller 8.1.0, PDF Version 1.4. These PDFs had bookmarks, working links, TOC, and index, and some of these documents were huge! I was very happy with them.

I want to revert to that same version so I got the IS guy to reinstall my 8.0 Acrobat, and then I updated to 8.1 (Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional and Standard update English, French, German, and Japanese). I wasnt sure if that was the correct update, but the update with the same title but for multiple languages would not load.

Now my PDFs (made with the PDFMaker plug-in) have non-working bookmarks, corrupted links, and those extra characters in the footers are still there. I tried Help>Repair Acrobat installation, but get the same results. Now what should I do?

I am running Windows XP (SP2) with Word 2003, Acrobat 8.1 Professional (I think).

Thanks very much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2008 12:36 PM   in reply to (T._Bacigalupi)
    I won't debate the issue you are having, but simply the install issues. Once you uninstall Acrobat, you may need to run the MS registry clean-up utility (I would have to hunt for it on the forum where it has been mentioned before) and delete the folders that Acrobat is installed in. These extra steps are often needed to get a good install back and avoid the problems. That may be your issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2008 1:22 PM   in reply to (T._Bacigalupi)
    Good luck. I wish I could point you to the clean-up utility, but don't have it at hand.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)