• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Read-Out-Loud Problem

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2008 Oct 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an ebook in PDF format and the read-out-loud function will only work on the first two chapters and a few pages of the third chapter. After that the reader just says "Blank" for every page. The text is clear and able to be read with other screen reader programs, but I would like to use the read-out-loud. I tried running the OCR on the chapters again but yielded the same results. Why would the reader stop working part way through a chapter?
TOPICS
ACSM files

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2008 Oct 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A probable cause of this problem is that the document was originally poorly tagged, since at least some pages needed to be OCR-ed. After those pages are OCR-ed, the tag structure is not automatically updated. So I would suggest the following:
1. Open the document after all pages have been OCR-ed in Acrobat Pro.
2. Select View -> Navigation Panels -> Tags.
3. Right click (shift F10) in the root tag of the structure tree.
4. Choose Delete Tag.
5. Re-tag the entire document by choosing Advanced -> Accessibility -> Add Tags to Document.
6. Save and Read Out Loud.
--Andres.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just had this issue, and this fix still applied.  2015.017.2053.  Thanks for the comment @(Andres_G)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2008 Oct 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and I still have the same problem. The first half of the document will read but the other half just says "blank." Is there something else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to copy and paste text from one of the problem pages?

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, sorry, that's me out of ideas.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can troubleshoot by using Touch Up Reading Order on the Advanced > Accessibility menu. If you go to one of the errant pages, is there something suspicious looking such as the entire page being marked "Figure" or having no highlighted regions (implying no text). You can select a rectangular region and click "Text" to mark it is text. If the problem is tagging, that may correct it.

The other possible problem is that there is a different or bad font used. Since you mention that other screen readers can read the text, it doesn't sound like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2009 Nov 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed adobe reader 9.0 how do I get the read out loud features to work which options should I go to does anybody know how to enable its do I have to downloaded separately it was working fine with adobe reader 8.0 i wish i did't installed 9.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines