Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Camera Raw caches location

Feb 2, 2009 4:44 PM

Hi.

I just read somewhere that the default adobe camera raw cache location should be kept as default !

I ask because i have moved the Camera Raw Cache folder location from its default "user/library/caches/Adobe camera raw" to another place.
I made a Raw cache folder on a second harddrive (internal) and then chanced the preferences in Bridge CS4 under cache settings.
There are 2 places in Bridge CS4 you have to set the location.
Camera Raw-preferences & preferences/cache.

I did that and everything is working right on my Macbook pro 2.5Ghz Penryn early 08, OS X 10.5.6 Danish.

Should i be worried ? does it need to be at default place, and why would there be a settings if it coulden be safely moved to another location ?

Erik S

Replies
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 2, 2009 6:10 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    Erik,

My experience is that bad things happen if you change the default location of anything related to Adobe, especially starting with CS3 and now in CS4.

Why Adobe gives the user a choice is simply incomprehensible. Even when initially installing CS4, you are presented with a choice to change the location of the installation. However, installing it anywhere other than the default application creates havoc with CS4.

Again, I can't explain why Adobe provides the means to do damage to your software when they at the same time tell you to respect the default installation locations. It's a puzzlement, indeed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 3, 2009 6:26 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    As long as you use the preferences for changing location you might be OK, if you start to drag and drop folders you are certainly not.

That said, I think that the info Ramón gave you is plenty enough reason to not change the original settings

Also I don't see the benefit of changing location other then to a separate HD for saving disk space but then there is communication between two disks needed to read or write the info and that is to my knowledge not faster then operating on the same disk. Therefor a bigger disk and a separate disk to assign as scratch would be a better option :-)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 3, 2009 2:16 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    I would say that you use the preferences for that again. The default path is user/library/cache and then Adobe Camera Raw for ACR cache files and Adobe/BridgeCS4/cache for Bridge cache.

If you keep in trouble you might want to use the Adobe Uninstaller and re install the application from scratch. There should be no need for deactivating PS first because you stay on the same computer but to be sure you better first deactivate and after re install activate again.

Be also sure to make a back up from your actions and other preferences settings for templates and brushes etc.

Maybe Ramón can help you with his boilerplate of the locations where to find these settings :-)

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 3, 2009 2:57 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    > I have a folder called "Photo-applications" on my drive. So i told Adobe CS4 installer to install it there. Not the default place !

That will definitely, absolutely and inevitably cause you grief.

The application itself will have trouble finding certain files, like filters, the updater will not find the files to updates, third-party plug-ins will also fail to update or won't be found at all, and to top it all off, the Adobe Uninstaller will not be able to find it.

That is a very, very bad move.

If someone gave me a machine with your file structure, I would first try the uninstaller, if it doesn't work properly (and it will definitely not work correctly), I would then uninstall things manually, search for the CS4Clean Script (hope it has been released by now) and run it. Then Repair Permissions, re-install CS4 from scratch in the default location, and Repair Permissions once more.

Creating folders and subfolders (such as your Photo applications) in a misguided attempt to "organize things" is a disastrous move and a terrible idea.

Use aliases to organize things in folders, that's what aliases are there for, and leave the default installation structure alone.

You are in for a long struggle to undo the damage you have done. :/

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 3, 2009 4:48 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    Erik,

I won't even read your whole post.

It's irrelevant what your experience has been in the past. Starting with CS3, you must respect the default install location. No ifs or buts.

I'll skip your posts from now on, as I am unable to offer any assistance to you in this situation.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 3, 2009 10:04 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    Erik,
    >Can you tell me why the installer have the option to install the Suite another place than the default application folder ?

No. I already said that in post #1.

Why Adobe gives the user a choice is simply incomprehensible. Even when initially installing CS4, you are presented with a choice to change the location of the installation.

It was downright stupid of Adobe to offer a choice, especially when Adobe's own installers, uninstallers, updaters and filters cannot find the application if you choose a different install location.

We are not Adobe. I am not here to explain why Adobe does anything, nor to apologize for Adobe.

The one thing I can tell you is that you will have problems, and the problems will only increase down the road. I fully expect you to keep coming back to the forums for help in the future, but I won't be able to offer any assistance given your broken installation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 3, 2009 10:06 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    >I was just wondering why my system was running smoothly when all this you say i did wrong.

If everything is running smoothly, how come you have made so many posts in these two forums?

(Do a forum search on your name)

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 3, 2009 10:21 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    Maybe this piece of information will help bring things into perspective:

The people that develop the installer applications for Adobe have nothing to do with the Photoshop team.

In fact the Principal Adobe Photoshop Program Manager has publicly admitted on his blog that "the installer is a huge embarrassment for us", and in private communications he has had some choice words for the guys responsible for the installer and the updaters and what he would like to do to them.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 4, 2009 11:59 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ
    > I mean it even that you think i disrespect your opinion.

Never gave that a thought. It's Adobe's fault ultimately.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)