Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

CS3, camera raw 4.4 & vista: CR2 files

Mar 29, 2008 5:09 AM

When I try to open CR2 files from Canon 40D I am getting "cannot complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." I use windows vista. I have downloaded the latest updates to CS3 and camera raw. I had this problem with CS2, read the forums, downloaded a trial version of CS3, updated everything and it worked fine. So I went ahead and purchased CS3. only to find that I can no longer access my CR2 files. Any suggestions. please?
thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2008 7:12 AM   in reply to (punter)
    I don't have Vista. But others have reported similar problems. The first thing I would check would be to open Photoshop and go to Help/About Plug-ins. Click on Camera Raw. What version does it indicate that you have?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2008 8:44 AM   in reply to (punter)
    I have the same problem, except Photoshop recognizes the CR2 file (using ACR 4.4.1), but then the images are severely distorted. I am using CS3 with ACR4.4.1 and Vista Ultimate 64bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sreenshot of what I am referring to is here:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2090/2436965420_7467b64b54_b_d.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2008 12:12 PM   in reply to (punter)
    I have just bought adobe cs3 photoshop, wooooo, costly, and I cant read raw files from my new nikon d300, ahgg. Can someone please please tell me what plug -in I need to download, and from where I get it, and how to step by step, install it on my computer which runs windows vista home premium. Many many thanks.
    Regards, Hicki.

|
    Mark as:
  • John_Cornicello_home
    787 posts
    Mar 31, 2003
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2008 12:32 PM   in reply to (punter)
    Shane, you should be able to run Photoshop, click on Help > Updates and let it handle the download and install for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2008 12:41 PM   in reply to (punter)
    Shane,

The Camera Raw plug-in is updated approximately 4 times each year, and has been updated a number of times since CS3 was released. The latest officially released version is available here:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Additionally, there is a beta version of Camera Raw 4.6 available here:
    http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php?title=Camera_Raw_4.6

Both of these versions support your camera. The latest release, which is in beta, works well. I think it is primarily in beta form so that Adobe can get feedback on the newly supported cameras. I have not found any problems with it.

On either one of those referenced webpages there are complete instructions on how to install the new plug-in. It would be senseless to repeat those instructions here. Just be advised that you need to follow those instructions precisely and REPLACE the existing plug-in in order for it to work properly. Do not rename the old version, do not put it in a subfolder, or camera raw will cease to function.

Also, when Camera Raw 4.6 is finally released, that will probably be the last version of Camera Raw that will work with CS3. Photoshop CS4 has been announced, and will probably begin shipping within the next few weeks. The Camera Raw plug-in for the new version of Photoshop will not be compatible with Photoshop CS3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)