Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot open NEF files from D200 in Camera Raw 4.1

Jul 15, 2007 11:40 PM

I am using Photoshop CS3 with Windows XP. I have downloaded the latest Camera Raw update (4.1) and installed as directed.
I am able to open Raw files from Nikon D70 in camera raw but unable to open files from D200 - I am getting the message that it is an invalid file.
When I revert back the the previous version of camera raw I can open these files with no problem.

Can amyone advise please.

Thanks

J

Replies
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 15, 2007 11:47 PM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    You probably need to Purge the cache for the offending folder(s) through the Tools menu. DO NOT do it through Preferences, though, as (at least on the Mac), the purge command in Bridge preferences is broken, and using it results in corrupted caches when Bridge rebuilds them.

Use the Tools menu > Cache > Purge Cache for 'foldername', on a folder by folder basis. A pain, I know.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2007 11:42 AM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    I am having the same problem. My D70 images open in RAW format perfectly (I am still using Photoshop 6) but when I try from my new D200, the files transfer OK from my card reader but when I try to open them in Photoshop, I get a disc error message and nothing shows. I am able to view the raw files in my Nikon Coolwalker so te files are OK but would appreciate suggestions as to how to view them in Photoshop 6.

Trevor

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2007 12:03 PM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    Hold on a minute! Something is not right here. First of all, there is no version of Camera Raw that will work with Photoshop 6. Photoshop 6 would be able to open JPEG images from your camera, but there is no provision for raw files in Photoshop 6. So either you have misspoken, or there is something else you are not telling us.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 30, 2007 5:03 PM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    He's probably using a Nikon plug-in without knowing it, or his files are being converted elsewhere beforehand.

There's no way to open RAW files in Photoshop 6. No way, no how.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 31, 2007 12:00 AM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    Janet,
    > I am not using Photoshop 6, where did you get that from?

We are referring to Trevor in post #2, not you.

As to your issue, just a general comment, as I don't do Windows:

Even though it sounds too obvious, make sure you have properly uncompressed (unzipped) the downloaded ACR 4.1 and that you have installed it according to the instructions.

>I have downloaded the latest Camera Raw update (4.1) and installed as directed.

Note that you didn't say "unzipped", so forgive me for bringing it up.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 31, 2007 12:20 AM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    Don't discard the possibility that you may have a bad download of ACR 4.1. Try downloading it againor even updating through the Adobe auto updater in the file menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2007 1:21 PM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    I have downloaded and installed the camera raw update 2.2 for my CS 1 version and did the correct replacement to allow me to open .NEF files. It worked for 1 day, then the next time I opened PhotoShop I wasn't able to open .NEF files anymore.

I also have CS2 on another computer and it didn't need an update, but I need to be able to open .NEF files on this computer.

Does anybody have any idea of what I may be doing wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2007 1:29 PM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    As far as I know, the only version of ACR available for download for Photoshop CS version 2.4. You don't want to be using 2.2. If your camera is not supported by 2.4, download the latest DNG converter (currently 4.1) and use it to create Digital negative copies of your raw images. Those DNG files can be opened with ACR 2.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2007 5:11 PM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    I have cs2 and cs3 on my computer . On opening up raw files I can load up to 400 on Cs2 and only 200 on Cs3 and with Cs3 seems to run out of memory very quickly. I then transfer to Cs2 and it processes no problem . Does anybody know how to in cress number of files for processing.I have check preferences can not find anything there .

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2007 5:47 PM   in reply to (Janet_Burdon)
    Use Camera Raw hosted in Bridge instead of Photoshop. All the options are there (you can do exactly the same set of functions) but Photoshop CS3 was intentionally limited in how many images it can load because of the EXACT thing you mention-out of memory errors...Camera Raw 4 takes a lot more resources to run. Bridge can still handle more images loaded but even then you may still have issues if you don't have a lot of free ram on your system.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)