Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Raw update for CS2

Dec 3, 2007 7:59 PM

Will Adobe be supporting camera raw for CS2 any more? I got CS2 last year and I can't afford to update to CS3. CS2 camera raw 3.7 does not read Canon D40 raw file.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2007 8:05 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Unfortunately, there will not be any more Camera Raw updates for Photoshop CS2. However, you can always download and use the very latest DNG converter to create digital negative copies of your raw images. Those DNG files, which still contain all of the raw image data, can be opened with Camera Raw 3.7.

The DNG converter is usually packaged along with the latest Camera Raw plug-in. Just extract the DNG converter and ignore the Camera Raw plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 3, 2007 8:28 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Use the Adobe DNG Converter 4.3. It's a free stand-alone application.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2007 2:39 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Adobe has been good about upgrading if you had purchased CS2 within a specified amount of time of the release of CS3 -- for example, CS3 would be free if CS2 was purchased within 60days. I cannot speak as to whether the offer is retroactive.

Why did you purchase CS2 when CS3 was distributed in beta this time last year??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2007 8:02 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    I'm shooting with a Nikon D300 and running PhotoShop CS2. I've had no trouble in the past processing RAW files from my Nikon D100 in CS2, but CS2 won't open my D300 RAW files. There's an Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw 3.7 update, but it doesn't include the D300 as a supported camera. The D300 IS listed as a supported camera in the DNG Converter and Camera Raw 4.0 and higher updates, but those are only for CS3, which I don't have.

Will there be a CS2 Converter and Camera Raw update that will include the Nikon D300 as a supported camera, or is my only option to upgrade to PhotoShop CS3?

And one more question: Is the DNG conversion process always a manual process, or does any version of Photoshop handle that automatically? In the past I've always just uploaded my RAW files and opened them in PhotoShop. Period. The thought of having to add the additional time-consuming extra step of converting everything I shoot to DNG is not a welcome one. Please help me out with understanding this. Was my D100 already shooting DNG files?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2007 9:19 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter to create digital negative files that can be opened by any version of ACR clear back to Photoshop CS and ACR 2.4. You are not limited to using the DNG converter 3.7. The DNG files are not Photoshop version specific. Your Nikon D100 was supported natively by ACR 3.7. Your new camera was not. If you are unable to upgrade to Photoshop CS3 then your alternative is to use the latest version of the DNG converter to create digital negative copies of those raw images, and they will open in the version that you have installed.

I have seen comments from several people here on this website who actually prefer converting to DNG so that all of the metadata is stored within the image file rather than in a sidecar file. Yes, it is an extra step. But all I do is insert the card into my card reader, drop the images onto the DNG converter icon, and convert them as they are downloaded to my hard drive. That's just one little extra step. After that my Photoshop or Lightroom workflow it is exactly the same. As far as additional updates to ACR for Photoshop CS2 are concerned, the answer is no.

If you are resisting upgrading just because you don't want to, I must say that the additional functionality in ACR 4.1 and higher is more than enough reason to justify the upgrade. I think you would be astounded to discover how limiting ACR 3.7 is after using the current version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2007 4:30 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Thanks jim - I have a knowledge gap here, honestly, and probably started out with a backwards way of doing things that I'm now having trouble overcoming because I never did have a complete understanding of the whole process. Anyway, you were right...I had the wrong converter...I needed 4.2. Everything's working fine now just like you said it would and I agree, it's hardly even an extra step. Plus I understand the whole process a lot better now, so thanks for the explanation.

As for CS3, I guess you're saying that it will work with my D300 much like CS2 worked with my D100....with all the conversion work etc done automatically? I don't think too many of us CHOOSE not to upgrade to the latest greatest versions because we "don't want to " Jim! It's more like limited income + 3 kids sucking pretty much even that down the drain...you know! Hopefully sooner than later tho. Thanks again for your help...you saved me a lot of time and aggravation during this very busy time of the year.

-- darlene

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2007 7:24 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Believe me, I fully understand your situation about not being able to upgrade at this point. It is sometimes difficult to tell from the writing why someone chooses not to upgrade. There are a few people who don't want to upgrade just because they feel that Adobe is being unfair. But Adobe has their marketing strategies and other reasons why ACR 4.x will not work with older versions of Photoshop.

One of the main reasons people look forward to a new version of ACR is that the new version always supports additional cameras. There are sometimes other undocumented changes and bug fixes, but the new cameras are the main reason people want to get the new version. Your new camera is supported in the newest version of ACR. That means that it would work as seamlessly as ACR 3.7 works with your older camera. Whenever a new version of ACR is released there is also a new version of the DNG converter that supports all the same cameras as the new ACR. It is always in your best interest to try to have the latest version of the DNG converter as well as the latest version of ACR that is compatible with your version of Photoshop. Photoshop CS2 is no longer being maintained/supported by Adobe. That means that there will be no more updates to the program itself nor for any of the plug-ins. So until you are in a position to upgrade to a new version of Photoshop the DNG converter is your only alternative for working on the raw files from your camera using Photoshop and ACR. Incidentally, the most of current version of ACR and the DNG converter is 4.3.1, not 4.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2007 8:04 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    yep, that's the one I got...4.3.1. -- thanks again jim.
    -- darlene

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2008 11:20 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Hello,
    I do not know what happened but week ago my Photoshop CS2 stopped recognizing all photos (from last four years) from my Canon Rebel 300D (files with CRW_XXXX.CRW). Means that I can not open any off them, so they are as good as trash.
    Did I do something wrong, or some new updates messed up my Photoshop, or I need a new RAW updates?
    I am helpless! Help!

Cze Sornat
    czesornat@yahoo.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 18, 2008 12:21 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Try to open them with an other converter (Canon DPP came on the CD with your camera), otherwise search canon for download.

If the are good in this software then delete the preferences in PSCS 2 and Bridge and ACR to refresh them with a restart

If they won't open in another RAW converter the files might be corrupt but it sounds strange that this will go with 4 years at once unless you have them on a corrupt drive??

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2008 2:42 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Hello, than you for advise. My Photoshop PS2 still works without any problem on my MacBook Pro 15 (2GHz Intel Core Duo). I still can open RAW on my laptop, transfer TIFF to my G5. etc.
    But it is pain is my back to do so.

I tried to convert my photos using Adobe DNG Converter 3.7 and 4.2. Still NADA!

Up to I was MASTER OS9.2, with OX10 and Linux I am BABY with all those hocus-pocus "manipulations."

I've noticed that I have Camera RAW folder and and Camera RAW 2_1 with Camera Raw plug-in inside. Where I should place that plug-in?
    Wow, I have another Camera Raw.plugin in new installed "DNG_Camera_Raw_4_2" folder. I put this plugin into PS Plug-ins folder but my Photoshop started to crash like crazy. I had to remove it quickly.

I am still in square ONE.

Thank you for help and beg for more help.

Czeslaw

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jan 21, 2008 5:07 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    You have the wrong version of everything.

ACR 2.1 is an old version that does NOT open DNG files and only works in Photoshop CS anyway. For Photoshop CS2 you need the ACR 3.7 plug-in.

ACR 4.x and later do not work with Photoshop CS2. They MUST be used with Photoshop CS3 only.

Therefore, if you are using Photoshop 9.0.2 (CS2) you need to correctly install the ACR 3.7 plug-in. Detailed instructions are on the download page and in the FAQs of this forum.

To convert your files to DNG raw files, use the stand-alone DNG Converter 4.3.1, which does not need any version of Photoshop to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2008 12:45 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Hello Ramón,
    I have PS CS2 (9.0.2). I downloaded "ACR 3.7 plug-in" and "camera_raw_3_7_readme.pdf" I followed instruction :
    -"Mac:
    1. Exit Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge.
    2. Open the Finder.
    3. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the users home folder).
    4. Navigate to Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS2/File Formats.
    5. Move the existing plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure
    you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
    6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4.
    7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge".

Still NADA!!! - I get message that my PS does not recognize that plugin. During search I found another "Camera Raw.plugin (2.1)" in my "Users/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw" folder. I replaced it with ACR3.7, but still nothing happened. I wonder in how many places I have hidden those ... great!!! plugins. Why, because when I try to open any photo, in dialog box in addition to usuall opening options (from Photoshop, JPGS, TIFFs,etc.) i see THREE "Camera Raw" and one Photoshop Raw options. So they are somewhere. But where?

Two weeks ago I did not change anything when my CS2 on MacG5 stopped recognizing any RAW files. My PowerBook Pro works without problems.

DNG Converter 4.3.1 converts but Photoshop still can not open these files. I am in square one again.

Probably I need to reinstall CS2. I will let you know if it works.

Czeslaw

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 23, 2008 1:53 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Remove the one you have in users/library. Search your hard drive for other copies.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2008 10:10 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    WOW it works!
    Thanks a lot!
    Czeslaw

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2008 5:25 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    It would have sure been a good deed to offer a plug-in for ACR so that the new D300 will work with CS2.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 3, 2008 11:09 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    > It would have sure been a good deed to offer a plug-in for ACR so that the new D300 will work with CS2.

It's not realistic to expect a software company to spend tens of thousands of dollars developing a plug-in for a version that is no longer sold.

If you can afford a D300 you can afford to upgrade to CS3.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 3, 2008 11:58 PM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Hey Ramón, it's bin a while ago! good to see you back.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 4, 2008 2:07 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    Barely two weeks, Omke, but thanks. I unplugged all my computer cables to rearrange part of my office and just procrastinated as far as putting it back together.

How sweet life was without Internet and without computers! I ought it try it more often. :)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 4, 2008 4:12 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    >How sweet life was without Internet and without computers!

That must have been a while ago in your case (...), amazing how everyone always like to remember the sweet memories from the past and try to forget about the downsides that where also there... :-)

But it is always a joy to start in a fresh workaround, I have to agree!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Feb 4, 2008 4:31 AM   in reply to (Ed_Ruppert)
    No, I'm referring to the last two weeks. I didn't go anywhere near a computer in two weeksand loved it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)