Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AMT Subsystem Failure Error is Ridiculous!

Nov 9, 2007 8:24 AM

So, I finally decided to purchase my very own copy of CS3 several months ago (about 6) after using CS2 at work for a number of years. I figured it would be a good time to get it since I am a college student right now so I qualified for the academic version (an old one, having gone back after many years out, but a college student none-the-less...LOL!) It has been nothing but problems since I got it! I never experienced anything like this with Adobe Product before and I have been using them for over 20 year (all the way back to Aldus Pagemaker even!)

It worked great for about 4 months, not a problem at all, then all of the sudden I started getting this stupid AMT failure message:

AMT Subsystem Failure
The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically. You must reinstall or call customer support.

I tried calling support (outsourced support obviously, as they were VERY hard to understand on the phone and I talked to no less than three different people). Removed and reinstalled only to have it creep back up over and over again. I got sick of removing and reinstalling it and since Adobe was no help at all started troubleshooting and logging the problem.

Could this be a RAM issue? My dual core desktop iMac is maxed out, so if it is there is nothing more I can do. :(

Basically, when I start the machine I can open all my CS programs first, before any other programs (AI, ID, PS, DW, and Acrobat). I am pretty much good to go and can then open all my other programs and begin working for the day. But, if one of the CS3 programs stalls on me, which seems to happen daily, causing me to force quit it. It will not longer open and gives me the error message above.

Then I have to restart my blasted machine and start all over, with all programs opening fine after the restart. Anyone else got any theories or has Adobe even addressed this AMT failure which, judging from a Google Search, seems to be a widespread problem across both PC and Mac platforms?

My initial thought is it's a RAM issue because all works fine after a restart and only starts acting up as the day goes on, forcing another restart to begin any kind of work flow again.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2007 5:21 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    >seems to be a widespread problem across both PC and Mac platforms

I don't think so, If it were widespread everyone would be experiencing this.

how much free space do you have on your hard drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2007 9:14 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Did you look through the log file for amt.
    It is in ~/tmp/amt.log and ~/tmp/alm.log

I think the last line should give a Error code of the form X:y. This can help in finding where exactly the error is.

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2007 10:13 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Please try the following:
    1) Open a terminal window
    2) Type "cd /tmp"
    3) Type "open ." in the terminal window
    4) a finder window should open with the contents of /tmp

You should be able to locate the amt.log and alm.log with in the /tmp folder that opened in the Finder window.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2008 8:37 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Recurring and unexplained problems with Adobe's license control software are causing unwarranted aggravation and inconvenience for customers. Dan Margulis, author of several books on Color Management, warned of this likelihood in his newsletter when Adobe first implemented the control in Windows PhotoShop. Since this control is designed and licensed to Adobe by a third party, what will be the implications if that party closes its doors someday?

I, too, have experienced FLEXnet / AMT errors on both personal and work equipment. One apparent handicap of CS3 is the inability to switch between Users on a single machine (fast user switching) and open the same Adobe app. It was possible before.

I'm miffed by Adobe's lax and unapologetic attitude to FLEXnet's buggy behavior. I'll wager that software pirates are still ripping Adobe' products at the same rate and that their "customers" aren't inconvenienced.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2008 5:33 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Hi,
    Its the same with me now. I suddenly started getting this errors on my office laptop.. ouch... Its irritating reinstalling application and still nothing seems to happen..
    This is coupled with stupid javas script errors I am getting everytime I start and stop dreamweaver..

This product is getting me sick.

Mohiuddin Khan Inamdar
    Mohnkhan

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2008 1:08 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I find myself in the same circumstances as the first poster, even down to having returned to college as a mature student, for which I purchased a new Macbook and Adobe Creative Suite. This has now failed in exactly the way described above with the added irony that having followed the instructions given by Adobe to correct it the problem continues even after restarting! I'm in the middle of a design course for which the software is essential - "failed catastrophically" - at least they got that part right...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2008 5:11 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    This message is to let everyone know in the thread that Adobe has been investigating this problem in detail and there are multiple reasons why it occurs.

There's a Technical Note on the support site (on Adobe.com) that explains some of the symptoms that some of you seem to describe here, and provide specific solutions for the problem. The article is available here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402004&sl iceId=2

We do appreciate your patience and encourage all of you to continue providing feedback to Adobe so we can do a better job troubleshooting problems and providing solution for current and future versions of our products.

Amitoj suggested the first user (Nora) to get the error code recorded in the log files. Please try to obtain that code when getting the error as that would help us troubleshooting the issue (sorry in advance due to the techy nature of the log files...)

Mac OS Details
    -----------
    * Log files to obtain (2 files): amt.log and alm.log

To navigate to the log files do the following:
    1) Open a terminal window
    2) Type "cd /tmp"
    3) Type "open ." in the terminal window
    4) a finder window should open with the contents of /tmp

You should be able to locate the amt.log and alm.log with in the /tmp folder that opened in the Finder window. Open each log file and report the error codes included in the logs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2008 8:23 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    If you're running Windows XP, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Make sure that any entries beginning with the words ADOBE, MACROMEDIA, and FLEXNET are all able to run.

I figured this out because I intentionally disabled those very services using MSCONFIG and broke Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2008 2:03 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I have the following tail ends of the log files that might help in
    debugging this issue:
    amt.log
    2008-03-14 13:56:54 [3620] /AMT0252766430/
    2008-03-14 13:56:54 [3620] /AMT0045459022/
    2008-03-14 13:56:54 [3620] /AMT0130722339/ È+¦ ·am Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS3\AMT
    2008-03-14 13:56:54 [3620] /Loc0065396675/
    2008-03-14 13:56:54 [3620] /Loc0129724025/
    2008-03-14 14:10:55 [3620] AMT: END SESSION.
    alm.log
    2008-03-14 13:51:53 [3620] ALM: _info_: ==========================================
    2008-03-14 13:51:53 [3620] ALM: _info_: Start ALM 2.1 Release (build 2.1.2.1082)
    2008-03-14 13:51:53 [3620] ALM: _info_: TYPE = 1
    2008-03-14 13:51:53 [3620] ALM: _info_: GUID = License-GUID-InDesign-5-Win
    2008-03-14 13:51:53 [3620] ALM: _info_: LANG = en_GB
    2008-03-14 13:51:53 [3620] ALM: _info_: Load AdobeConfig (version = 1.3)
    2008-03-14 13:56:53 [3620] ALM: __req_: (func: adobe::alm::ALM_TrustStorage_AccessTS, line: 1139)
    2008-03-14 13:56:53 [3620] ALM: __req_: (func: ALM_Pri_SilentLicenseCheck, line: 1145, value: 38430)
    2008-03-14 13:56:53 [3620] ALM: __req_: (func: ALM_Pri_PrepareToActivate, line: 1237, value: 38430)
    2008-03-14 13:56:53 [3620] ALM: _info_: ALM_License_Check Return Error 150:30
    2008-03-14 14:10:55 [3620] ALM: _info_:
    2008-03-14 14:10:55 [3620] ALM: _info_: End ALM
    2008-03-14 14:10:55 [3620] ALM: _info_: ==========================================
    It looks as if a path name has been overwritten (buffer overflow?) by rubbish, causing AMT to crash.
    Using Windows Vista Home Premium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2008 3:39 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    >If you're running Windows XP

>Using Windows Vista Home Premium

I think you guys missed the fact this is the Mac Forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2008 3:30 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    It seems from the log file that there is a problem in loading the licensing information from the licensing data store. Please contact customer support

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2008 12:17 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Here's what I did that just fixed this issue on a mac 10.5.2

After determining that the permissions on the FLEXnet folder were fine:
    1. Moved the Trusted Storage File (TSF) out of the FLEXnet folder.
    Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet folder (Mac OS).
    2. Renamed the FLEXnet folder.

Tried launching, entered the sn and received activation error:
    Error code 150:30. Re-executed the steps, then rebooted the machine, ran disk permissions repair and tried launching again.

Conclusion: After following the steps in kb401528 rebooted the machine and repaired disk permissions, was then able to activate successfully.
    hope that helps,
    Cindy

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2008 5:30 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    If you're running Windows XP

http://www.kobimedya.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2008 12:29 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I've just come across this problem for the first time and will try the above from Cindy - hope it works - can't work without this software!

Though I have been using the package on my Previous machine G5 Dual 2.7Gb for over a year! without a problem. but now I have changed to the latest iMac duo core, I'm wondering if it's related to the Intel system?

I'm assuming the CS3 package has been optimised for the Intel platform correctly?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2008 6:35 AM   in reply to (Mike_Harwood)
    Did you install from scratch or did you let the Mac import your
    applications and settings from the old Mac. If the latter, that is a
    mistake.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2008 7:18 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Hi Mike,

It was a clean install as I knew I couldn't import from my old system.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2008 6:49 AM   in reply to (Mike_Harwood)
    Mike,

Cindy's fix should work, or you might need to contact Technical Support
    as this is an installation issue.

CS3 is optimized for Intel systems, however, Leopard comptability is
    iffy but getting better.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2008 11:23 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Hi Mike, I followed Cindy's instructions to the letter and it worked a treat! back on track again.

Thanks.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2008 11:25 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    BTW will I see any 'worthwhile improvements by upgrading to CS3.3? or better to hold off until CS4 comes along?

Anyone know of any timing or expected launch date?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2008 11:32 AM   in reply to (Mike_Harwood)
    If you're using CS2 or earlier on an Intel Mac you should see
    significant performance improvements by upgrading to CS3.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2008 11:46 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Have same problem, where i can read how to fix it, i mean Cindys letter :) oh found it, it works for me too :)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2008 12:30 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    My version is CS3 ... on an Intel Duo Core Mac

This was the procedure I followed to get things going again:

Go to: Main HD > Library > Preferences > FLEXnet Publisher > FLEXnet folder (Mac OS) remove the Trusted Storage File (TSF) from the FLEXnet folder and drop it on your desktop.

Restart your Mac > run disk permissions repair (Applications > Utilities > Disk Repair) then launch InDesign - enter serial number - InDesign should now work (fingers crossed)

If all goes well trash the TSF - you won't need it anymore as a new one should have been created.

Good luck

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2008 6:12 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I, too am experiencing this problem and it has brought my entire job to a complete stop until I can solve it as nearly everything I do is using CS3. First of all, in Juan-Carlos' message he refers to kb402004 which tell us (unlike the earlier mentioned by Cindy) that we must DEACTIVATE BEFORE UNINSTALLING everything, from WITHIN one of the apps. Well, a) how can I deactive from within an app if I can't open it, and b) too late now as I already followed the earlier instructions and went through the long, painful uninstall, did a complete reinstall (4 hours in all), repaired permissions twice (the FlexNet file folder was correct to begin with) and still nothing works. On top of that, when I follow the instructions for checking the logs, Terminal gives me a "no such file" message. Great.

This is simply inexcusable. What's the solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 12:57 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Dana, did you remove the TSF file in the FLEXnet folder? you have to remove it, then restart - repair permissions then launch InDesign, you should then be prompted with Serial No request?

If you've followed the above then it should work, if you are still having these problems you will need to contact Adobe Support.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2008 4:02 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I also Did had the Error and, like a true genious I did a System restore (Vista) and now NOTHING works

HELP! I did the Flex > Manual Thing (It was Already On manual) and
    Deactivating the software when I cant access the Help...There has to be a Method of resolution

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2008 6:00 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    >I did a System restore (Vista) and now NOTHING works

should have bought a Mac and you wouldn't have to use Vista.

If you want a windows help ask in the windows forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2008 6:58 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Hi...im not sure where the Vista Posting goes...you seem to know your business though...I am getting the AMT Error as well....I do the Systems > Flex > Manual (Its already on manual) and nothing changes...i did the system restore and now NOTHING in my cs3 works

HELP

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2008 7:00 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I use both there Slick...I dont need your pretentios Remarks...you wanna help I appreciate that...if your gonna be a jerk...Keep it to yourself...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 5:45 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    If you want help with widows stuff go to the Windows forum. I don't do Windows. neither does most everyone else in the Mac forum. I suppose one guy might stop by that has used vista before but if you want more than one Windows person to see your problem asking in the Windows forum is the thing to do.

and don't get snippy or no one will help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 6:16 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    IF i could find the windows Forum...i would be there
    if you dont like the posts, no need to be a jerk...just dont read them

Ok anyone with Windows ever have this error and how did you resolve it

Thanks

MIke

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 7:02 AM   in reply to (THE_Mike)
    Mike,

If you go back to the top of the forums page and click the Creative
    Suites link you should see a page that will allow you to choose the
    Windows forum

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 and XP SP3 here and haven't seen this issue.

As for Buko, he's generally helpful but also painfully blunt. Try not to
    read too much into what anyone writes here. The written word leave much
    to be desired when it comes to reading intent with the message.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2008 7:52 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    FOR ALL MY WINDOWS PEOPLE (and curious Mac friends):

This is what worked for me:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402004&sli ceId=2

Solution 2: Restart and enable the FLEXnet Licensing Service. (Windows Only)

The trick is that you have to stop the service and start it again. It took 5 seconds to do this on my PC running XP Pro SP3.

BTW -- I did a search for the AMT problem in the InDesign Windows forum and what I found is not 100% identical to what people are experiencing here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 6:45 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Bernard,

This is the Macintosh forum. For Windows-specific help, tips, and solutions, please post in the Windows forum where far more Windows users hang out.

Thanks.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 7:24 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    rename flexnet folder to flexnet.old.it worked for me in my mac book pro

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2008 10:58 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I just reinstalled my CS3 Master collection, next day i try to open illistrator or any software I keep getting this message.......

AMT Subsystem Failure
    The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically. You must reinstall or call customer support.

CAN ANYONE HELP???? I dont want to call Adobe-India for the 4th time.... I run on Windows Vista......Please Help ASAP.....

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2008 8:10 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    Renaming the files won't work.

I had this happen to me on a Mac (I posted a similar cry for HELP in the forum) and the answer, after hours online with a bored and somewhat rude customer service person in India was to spend HOURS uninstalling everything Adobe on my machine, then to download the MacCS3Clean utility script and go through a whole series of commands in Terminal to find and erase left-behind license files that came from previous versions of Adobe CS and were apparently tricking CS3 into thinking that I was trying to do something illegal. As I understand it, the issue has to do with the third-party licensing scheme Adobe uses, which has numerous issues. There is a similar script for PC. Since you're posting in the Macintosh forum I assume that you are running Vista on a Mac...

Here is a link to the Adobe page with the CS3Clean scripts : http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402767

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2008 8:48 AM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    >CAN ANYONE HELP???? I dont want to call Adobe-India for the 4th time.... I run on Windows Vista......Please Help ASAP.....

even If you are running Vista on a Mac very few will be able to help you need to ask this on the Windows side.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2009 2:55 PM   in reply to (Nora_Kramer)
    I had this same problem after I had to do a system restore. The only way to fix it was to reinstal/repair.

Frankly I think this licensing system is hurting Adobe... I just kill the FLEXnet process after my product loads because it causes slow downs and crashes. My firewall blocks all the other update features that cause the same problems. Adobe products are far worse than any virus that tries to take root.

I won't be buying another Adobe product until they resolve these issues. IT'S NOT WORKING ADOBE, YOU'RE ALIENATING AND FRUSTRATING YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS!!! You're not a SaaS and we work with large files... we can't have resources being eating up with your leaky bloated licensing/updating code.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)