Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Updater hangs, never finishes installing

Nov 15, 2007 3:40 PM

The Adobe Updater (Adobe CS3), will download the necessary files, and then start the installation, but will hang during the PatcherApplication portion of the install. It will literally hang for hours. I just have to quit it, and then it asks if I would like to continue with the other installations, and the same exact thing will happen. It just hangs...

I have:

Repaired permissions
Removed the installer folders
Attempted to use the Adobe Updater in root
Used the uninstaller on the same DVD I used to install the suite (checked remove all application preferences also), restarted, reinstalled, restarted, and then tried to update again.

Same thing..

Activity Monitor will always show two open "Adobe Software Update"s, but one of them is labeled "not responding", which I assume is the patcher application that opens along with the Adobe Updater, which is when the progress bar stops. Console doesn't seem to report any errors.

Adobe Create Suite Standard CS3
Dual 1.8 G5
3 GBsRAM
Has internet, I'm doing this remotely via ARD.
All other machines in the office updated just fine, same network, same OS.

If I just have to manually find them all, download them and install that way, I suppose I can try that. Just seemed pretty darn silly to have this completely be broken without a simple fix.

Thanks in advance.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2007 9:09 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Uninstall CS3. Try the CS3Clean application to help wipe out your
    previous installation and start over.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2007 5:02 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    why not just download the the updates and install them manually?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2007 9:11 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I have the same problem, and have had it since CS2 (maybe before, don't remember) on up to now five machines (two review machines from Apple + 3 of my own, of which one is sold - yes, I did de-activate).

Adobe Updater simply never finishes, and hasn't done so the latest 2 years. Anyone from Adobe who cares to try and figure out this persisting problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2007 3:30 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Question you said the machines are on a network? do you use a Proxy server?

if so the proxy settings on our macs need checking as occasionally the settings go awol on random machines. the adobe updater needs all the settings to be set and a password/username entered or it hangs took me a while to figure this out after our IT department mover to a new server for internet access

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2007 10:07 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Do the manual updaters from adobe/support/downloads work? That would at last get the Adobe Updater app out of the equation entirely.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2007 1:34 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Drat, missed that message in the middle.

The only other things I can think of--verify you're not using Safari 3, verify you have the default Apple system fonts available, and lastly try emptying your caches using something like Onyx.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2007 3:18 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Did you ever figure out what causes the issue or how to workaround it? I have the same identical issue -- clean install of CS3, ran updater, took a couple of hours to download, then hangs periodically during the install procedure. Sucks up a lot of CPU as well.

Really Adobe, you ought to fix these problems with your Cadillac software -- it's running like a Ford! (Or Dodge if you prefer)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2007 7:51 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Come on adobe can we get a fix?? i cant update either. we pay over 1k for this kind of crap?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2007 10:30 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I, too, am having this problem now (recently installing CS3 and then Leopard).

The updater application never seems to finish. Last night, I just put the computer to sleep, went home and let it resume after waking, an hour or so later (after some progress) it seemed to be stalled again, I stopped the updater and rebooted and resumed, maybe did that twice.. It finally finished! Took about 6 hours total.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2007 6:48 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I have the same problem on one Mac, a G4 running 10.4.11 with 2gb RAM.
    I've tried deleting the Adobe Updater folders, repairing permissions, logging in as Root, manually updating, etc., etc., etc. and get the same result.

Every time I restart, Adobe Updater happily announces that updates are available.

There's been other threads on this problem and I've tried the suggested solutions with no luck.

I have two G5's and one Mac Pro that auto-updated fine (although some of the updates took quite a while to complete).

I reported this as a bug to Adobe a month or two ago and have not received a reply.

It's certainly annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2007 4:26 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    The updater log file is available at the following location
    ~/Library/Logs/AdobeSoftwareUpdates

The log file might indicate where is the updates hanging.

Also you can try and manually download the updates from www.adobe.com

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2007 4:49 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Amitoj

Do you want me to send you the log file? I looked at it and haven't got enough smarts to figure out what's going wrong.

Give me information on where to send log file and I'll ship it off to you.

Thanks,

-- Carl

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2007 2:29 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Carl,
    Can you if possible upload on a personal server or send across your email id on the thread. I will send in a mail to you and then you can send across the logs to me. It will be difficult to get your email id from the forum administrator as it is weekend and then new year holiday on Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2007 4:02 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Amitoj

Do you want me to send you the log file? I looked at it and haven't got enough smarts to figure out what's going wrong.

Give me information on where to send log file and I'll ship it off to you.

Thanks,

-- Carl

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2007 4:04 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    My email is cpaquette@mgtl.com

-- Carl

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2008 8:55 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Same problem. Mac G4 Powerbook. Updated to Leopard. Then Photoshop 7 won't work. So updated to CS3. Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator work, but updater freezes on Acrobat update. Forced quit, now just keeps running reading and writing without getting anywhere on the next update in the series. Very discouraging, in light of this thread and lack of response from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2008 10:45 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I have now activated my license on two computers, one iMac running Leopard and one MacBook Pro running Tiger. On the MacBook Pro, the problem persists, the updater invariably hangs. On the iMac, though the installation was copied with Apple's Migration Assistant app and not installed freshly, the updater in mysterious ways has started to work, at least once.

As a technology journalist I will now consider writing a story about this, and try to get Adobe's comment. As this thread clearly indicates, this is a systematic flaw that needs a fix. Adobe cannot ignore this anymore, and if they do, the public should be informed about the flaw and about Adobe's way of (not) handling the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2008 7:20 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Exact same problem here. Leopard on a Mac Mini and CS3.

The Updater runs periodically and the whole system crawls along while the Updater uses 106% CPU (!!). Sometimes after about 15 minutes it crashes, otherwise I can do virtually nothing and have to eventually restart (which in itself can take up to 20 mins since everything is running so slowly). Come on Adobe: don't you read your own forums?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2008 7:38 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    If you are using Leopard all bets are off as it is broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2008 12:56 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Thanks Mike,

Have you tried contacting Adobe support as a registered user? I don't usually bother registering but I might do if I can then get some response out of Adobe. Maybe their support is as bad as their Updater!

Otherwise how do we actually confront Adobe and ask for action?!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2008 1:02 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    >I don't usually bother registering

Seems foolhardy when you pay so much for this software.
    If you don't register and somebody gets your serial number and registers it you are out of luck. You won't have access to your activation anymore.

And yes this has happened before people have come here complaining they lost their software under this very scenario.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2008 4:53 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I was hoping to gain some insight on solving this problem here. I'm experiencing the same issue on my Mac (PowerBook G4 1.5Gh, 2G ram). Did a clean install of Leopard, installed CS3 Design Premium and got the Adobe Updater popup - told it to install the updates and waited and waited. After killing a few times it seems to have made it through some of the updates but I finally gave up.

The strange thing is that I have CS3 on a Windows PC at work and the updater doesn't work on that either.

Submitted a incident to Adobe but still waiting to hear back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2008 8:35 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Manually update. That's what I do.

Leopard is also broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2008 3:02 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I seem to be having a similar problem, though I'm doing a site license installation from a disk. A clean install, not an update. I'm assuming my problem is CPU space, since I have only 15 gb free on my drive. If CS3 needs 4 of those, plus extra room for the installation, this seems likely. Before I take hours and hours pulling more stuff off the machine, though, I'd appreciate someone else confirming that.

When I cancelled (with the progress bar hung at about 90%), I got a message box saying "Installation Completed," with these tiny details:

Successfully installed:
    Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
    Adobe Version Cue CS3 Server
    Shared components

Errors: 4 component(s):
    Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standard
    Adobe Illustrator CS3
    Adobe InDesign CS3
    Adobe Photoshop CS3

(i.e., everything of any use)

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2008 5:20 PM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I got it to work by manually downloading and installing the downloads the old fashioned way. Uncompress, run installer. That worked. I think you can just search the Adobe downloads section for the appropriate files.

OS 10.4 doesn't have this issue. I installed the latest updater to the Extend Toolkit and that went fine. It also went fine on the Leopard machine, so perhaps the problem has been addressed by Adobe now? Can anyone verify that?

I have other issues on Leopard, too, including general slowness, bugginess in all of Microsoft's applications, the list goes on. Adobe is not alone in working with this busted upgrade. If I had a choice, I would avoid going to Leopard until the 2d release. I'm glad I don't have it on my production machine, which is still happly running 10.4.x and CS3 with no issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 10:17 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    I am having the same problem myself. Just chiming in here to hopefully help register with Adobe that the problem is being experienced by a lot of users.

I've just had to reformat my hard drive and do an clean installation of all my software, and my Adobe products were among the very first applications installed, so there's plenty of room on the drive and little to cauase any sort of software conflict.
    My configuration is: Mac G5 with 2GHz dual-processor, 3GB RAM, OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Any solutions to this would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 10:37 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    The problem really is that Adobe doesn't care. The root cause is more likely Apple's issue with Leopard, as the updaters work fine on the older version of OS X. As long as you pay for the software, Adobe doesn't give a rat's *** what you do with it, or even if it's usable on your platform. They have your money and that's all they care about. I doubt they even read these forums, or respond to user concerns.

Disillusioned with both Adobe and Apple. Microsoft sucks too.Let's all go back to smearing crap on the cave walls.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 10:42 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    If you want Adobe to hear you complaining in a User to User forum is not the place. Granted the occasional employee pops in but if you really want Adobe to hear you you need to go here and actually make a report.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=70

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 10:51 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    "The root cause is more likely Apple's issue with Leopard, as the updaters work fine on the older version of OS X. "

That is not the case. I have had the same trouble since Tiger, if not before. And on one machine, the problem suddenly disappeared after installing Leopard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2008 11:14 AM   in reply to (Mike_Shanholtz)
    Works fine on my Tiger machine, but not on Leopard. Your mileage may vary.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)