Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Windows Clipboard won't paste in Photoshop CS3

Jul 16, 2007 8:59 AM

The subject pretty much covers it. If I do a print screen and then do a paste into Photoshop CS3 it doesn't paste the image from the clipboard. I can paste it into Windows Paint, just fine, but if I try to copy from that and into Photoshop it also doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem? I do screen grabs all the time, so this could be serious.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2007 7:51 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Works just fine for me.

Without meaning to insult you in any way, can we verify the steps you are using to attempt to do this in Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2007 9:21 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Mine is doing the same thing, but only since I upgraded to Vista - it was working fine before that!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 6:45 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    This happens on my machine sometimes too. Both screen shots no longer can be captured to Photoshop (other programs are fine).

Further, Copying from AI to Photoshop will stop functioning sometimes too. Somewhat frequently. Restarting works sometimes, but Reboot necessary occasionally.
    edit: OS is Vista x64

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2007 8:26 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I am having the same exact problem as Dennis. Anyone know of a solution or what is causing the problem?

Dennis... what screen resolution are you running?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2007 10:15 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I was having the same problem, but in CS2 on my new PC. It took a bit of research but I found a solution. Are you people using a special desktop theme, or a skin other than the default windows skin? I was using an Alienware theme which basically replaces all Windows icons and menu bars, but it also seemed to disable photoshop's access to the windows clipboard. If anyone having that problem is running an alternate Windows theme I suggest resetting back to the original Windows theme. Then find your installed theme program files and search for any .WB4 files and delete them. I'm not sure exactly what they do, but I deleted them and it seemed to reset the theme's functionality. Then you can reload your desktop theme, fire up Photohop and see if clipboard works. Hope that helps someone, -Zach

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2007 1:49 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I also found turning off any other memory intensive programs (besides photoshop) then restarting photoshop seems to work sometimes. On my PC I cannot do a screen grab of a Windows Media Player file and paste into photoshop, looks like a bug of sometype? Or this problem could be caused by a video card issue? Or possibly Adobe just messed another thing up?

If you want to access your clipboard directly there is a small application located in your root drive, typically here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\clipbrd.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2007 1:31 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Same problem for me (only since I bought a Vista PC). Nightmare.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2007 10:05 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Just installed CS3. Seriously, this needs a fix! I am always doing screen shots. They had better not have disabled this function on purpose. There are substantial non-infringing uses for screen shots, so it is an important function I need. Yet it seems like too important a bug to have left untested.

Fix it now or roll me back to CS2. I had no problems in CS2. I am using no skins. I'm using Windows XP SP2. My computer is fairly pristine with plenty of memory and a modern graphics card.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2007 10:21 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    This is NOT a problem inherent in CS3. I have no trouble at all doing screen captures or other paste operations into Photoshop CS3 with XP pro SP2.

>Fix it now or roll me back to CS2.

Until you can identify what particular thing on your system is the culprit, there is not much anyone can do, unfortunately, to help. Have you replaced your Photshop Preferences? As far as rolling back, only you have that ability.

This is the kind of comment that wins little sympathy from the other users who might be able to help you (this is a USER forum, not Adobe Tech Support). If you want help, be polite and provide as much detail as you can about your system configuration and any problems you might have experienced during installation.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2007 10:50 AM   in reply to (Eric_Yang)
    I'm not seeing this in Photoshop CS3. I'm pasting screens without any
    issues. How are you pasting your screen shots?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2007 2:08 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Same issues here. I get one screen grab to function per clean boot.

I have had this error in AE7, PS cs2 & 3

Screen cap using windows key + PrtScn and alt + PrtScn.

I open up the clipboard viewer only to find no thumbnails only a blank box and 1 item on the clipboard. Once I remove the item, I still can't get another back.

Clueless here, to what is going on. I am guessing it is more of a Windows issue than Adobe.

Win XP64 sp2
    Dual 5650 intel xeon
    8 gb ram
    quadro 4500 - 91.58

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2007 11:55 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Peter, I regret that my post was deemed offensive.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2007 7:44 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I have the same problem with CS2 and Windows XP Pro.
    After a certain (random?) amount of time, Photoshop doesn't accept clipboard content anymore. Every time I have to close and reopen it to be able to paste clipboad content (any graphical content, not only screenshots).

I make intensive use of clipboard, and this is quite frustrating, also considering how much money CS2 costs.
    I have installed no themes, nor strange plugins.

Another bug I have is this: try to open for example 10 images, minimize them to the bottom and try to close them. Many of those images won't close until restored to previous dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2007 6:14 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I have the same problem about pasting into Photoshop. I can copy and paste within Photoshop, and I can copy from Photoshop into other programs, but I cannot paste into Photoshop from another program, even Illustrator, or from a print screen.

This is a new occurance, no new software has been installed, I am running XP, fully updated, and CS3, also with updates applied. 3gig of ram, Core2, 2.75tb storage.

On a fresh reboot I can paste into Photoshop once, but after that it is kaput until the next reboot, which I don't need to do often.

I am sure this is a bug or compatibility issue, but I know this machine has stayed clean.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2007 6:41 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    >This is a new occurrence, no new software has been installed

Do you mean you used to be able to paste normally in CS3?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2007 5:58 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Hi,

I have both Photoshop CS and CS3 installed on my machine.
    Doing Print Screen -> Paste in Photoshop only works in CS.
    I'm surprised to find out that it doesn't work on CS3.
    I really hope they provide a fix for this soon..

I'm on PC, Windows XP SP2.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2007 6:39 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    >I really hope they provide a fix for this soon..

As I think I said earlier, this doesn't seem to be a bug in CS3, but rather some sort of configuration issue, which means there really is nothing that Adobe CAN fix unless a common configuration is identified and a workaround discovered.

I recognize that you are having an issue, but most users are not.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2007 7:06 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I am using CS2 on WinXP Pro and this happens to me frequently. I have no idea why, but Photoshop will just suddenly stop recording any clipboard information. I can copy something WITHIN photoshop, (ie: text), and it will paste it fine. But screenshots, copying text from a word processor, or images from illustrator are not recognized.

This is infuriating when you have 5+ documents open in various states of progress and are forced to save everything and close/restart Photoshop just to get the software to recognize the clipboard data again.

I'm very surprised that this isn't a regular issue. It's plagued me ever since I started using PS2.

I however, have not experienced this on the Mac. Only on the PC and I've experienced it on multiple computers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2007 9:32 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Lucky for the users that are not having this problem, Peter. :)

Thanks, Zack, for your input.
    I'm using your method of drilling down to the clipbrd.exe and grabbing screenshots from there. I can't say it's convenient when I have 50 screen grabs to do, but at least it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2007 9:47 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Believe me, I feel your pain. It's just that there may not be anything to "fix" beyond some driver or software conflict.

It might be worthwhile for those of you with the problem to try to document your systems and file a bug report here:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

There may be some Adobe engineers lurking in the background, but it's also possible that they don't even know some people are having trouble. The forum is a great place to get help from other users, but official bug reports and responses don't happen here.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2007 1:54 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I've had this same problem since CS2 (I'm on CS3 now.) Things go fine, but after a little while Photoshop stops accepting clipboard pastes. With CS2 I would just restart Photoshop and it worked again, but with CS3 I need to restart my computer for it to work again.

It's definitely a problem with Photoshop. Other applications can accept the pasted image just fine. Photoshop actually still keeps whatever I had on my clipboard before the problem started, even though I've copied something else, which makes me think it's a problem with Photoshop's internal clipboard manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2007 8:14 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I've been having this identical problem...think I solved it! PrintScreen -> open NEW in CS3 -> name and select image size -> Edit -> paste. The image will appear in the new panel. The problem is that the paste option does not appear when you right click which is the usual way. You have to go up to the EDIT command, open the drop-down menu and you will find the paste command there. This had been driving me NUTS! This solution works every time for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2007 6:43 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I'll throw mine in as well, I'm having this same problem printscreening anything from ie, programs or the XP interface using CS2... John, your method doesn't seem to work for me. After a while i'll be screenprint pasting as well as copy-pasting within PS and all of a sudden the PS clipboard locks in, PS will not paste anything else but what copied within itself. I would expect purging the Photoshop clipboard would refresh everything but it only empties it and stays locked, restarting will reset it... Theres no way I'll b getting CS3 if this problem is getting worse for users!

I'm running Dual Xeon 3.00GHz with 2GB ram and quadro FX 1300 Graphics.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2007 7:06 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Hey This is FRESH!

http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/09/05/how-to-fix-th e-photoshop-clipboard/

Fully works for me! Thank you Nathan Weinberg, i can start working again!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2007 5:00 AM   in reply to (Matt_Ratcliffe)
    Matt,

Thanks for posting. Here.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2007 1:36 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Hi guys - came across this
    http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/09/05/how-to-fix-th e-photoshop-clipboard/

I was having the same issue with WinXP and CS - all working now :)

Cheers,
    Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2007 1:44 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    ... forgot to mention that you need to restart your computer after applying the registry update in the article above....

Richard :)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2007 1:46 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    he he! see Matt Ratcliffe has already posted this solution - my apologies for missing this! (see poost 7:06pm Sep 6, 07 PST (#26 of 29) )

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2007 2:05 PM   in reply to (Super_Fab_fab)
    Thank you SO much for posting this. I thought I was going crazy with this <br />bug!<br /><br /><Super_Fab_fab@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc47764.27@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi guys - came across this<br />> <a href=http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/09/05/how-to- fix-the-photoshop-clipboard/><br />><br />> I was having the same issue with WinXP and CS - all working now :)<br />><br />> Cheers,<br />> Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2007 8:06 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Hi!

Would you believe it!! After my earlier postings (and thinking I had found the solution), I discovered that the problem re-appeared...

After a lot of searhing on Google, I came across a post that mentioned turning off all superflous startup items http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=40f396fd0d45 5439876c59b5dd13e48e&t=17177&page=2
    (via MSconfig http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560) might solve the issue...

After turning off all startup items (except by virus protection)I can vouch that the PrtScrn button is now working as it should and I can now paste directly into Photoshop again!! Hurrah :)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 4:29 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    And what have you now disabled that should be running?

Did you re-check the registry to be sure that the key was still there, and with the correct value? Updates or a system restore could have made a change.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2007 7:20 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Hi Peter :)

I spoke too soon - the problem has re-emerged... drat it...

My aging PC is having physical RAM/motherboard issues at the moment (amongst a few others) and is heading to the scrap heap in the next week or so, so am going to let this issue rest now...

Am sure a fresh installation on the new PC will fix everything up nicely...

Cheers,
    Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2007 3:24 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    This has to be a Windows Vista related issue, I do not believe this has to do with Adobe.

Just to give you some background, my machine has 4GB 800MHz Dual Channel RAM and 2 AMD Dual Core CPUs, as well as a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT on PCIexpress.

I had no problems until I installed Vista (Ultimate 32-bit). It seems that this problem is not just related to Photoshop and Adobe apps, but to any program running. If you have to many windows open (regardless of the amount of physical memory actually consumed (the problem usually starts occuring at about 60% consumption [please remember that I have 4GB super fast RAM...]) the programs will freeze and certain elements of the interface will disappear. Happens to me all the time in Internet Explorer - I'll lose half or all of my tabs.

Basically the OS starts acting like ALL memory (both physical and virtual) is consumed and starts shutting stuff down. This is when I just go "Arghh!!! Not again!"

I'm also a programmer and to me this looks like shoddy work on Microsoft's part - it's a memory leak.

Hopefully this will be fixed in Vista SP1 which will come out in early 2008. Until then I guess we're all going to have to live with it as there is nothing Adobe can do about it. :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2007 5:12 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Hi Jared,

I had the same problem for a while which prompted me to get a new machine. I have an almost identical spec and was running Windows Vista 32-bit Business with 2GB Dual channel RAM. I was getting exactly the symptoms you describe. Prior to this problem I had tried to upgrade my RAM and ended up damaging one of the RAM sockets (the ram wasn't seated correctly when I restarted the PC!).

Anyway after this the PC seeme dto start up OK but I then started getting the memory issues you describe. I swapped out the motherboard and increased the memory to 4GB and things have returned to the way I expected them.

By the way 32-bit Windows Vista only addresses just over 3GB of your 4GB of installed RAM. You would need to be running Windows Vista 64-bit to take advantage of the whole 4GB.

Cheers,

Nigel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2008 10:47 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    Ugh! I have been dealing with this problem for the past 6 months or so. After reviewing several of the responses on this forum, I am comforted by the fact that I am not alone in dealing with this issue.

I am running CS3 on a Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz system with 2 GB of Ram. I have Windows XP service pack 2. I am pretty good about getting both the latest windows and adobe updates. With respect to screen resolutions, I have 2 22inch lcd monitors both running at 1200x1600. My previous version of Photoshop was version 7 plus I had the Macromedias Dreamweaver Suite version 8.

For me the print screen problem has been totally random. I can grab a number of different screen shots (using <alt><prtScn>) and paste them into photoshop without a problem. Then, the process just seems to stop working and then I am only able to paste the last item I was successfully able to grab. And like others on this forum, other apps like Microsoft Word, paint, etc. would let me paste the same image in even though Photoshop would not.

Now, when this problem would come up, for me, it was just a simple mater of recycling Photoshop and then I would be back in business.

I just tried to add the registry key suggested by Nathan (see http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/09/05/how-to-fix-t he-photoshop-clipboard/) I opened regedit, navigated to the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\10.0] folder and added a new dword key. The name of the key is AlwaysImportClipboard and the value is 1. Right now, I seem to be in business.

PS Finally, I feel sorry for those who take offense by any accusations posted on this forum that this issue may be a Photoshop bug. It really does not matter whether this is a windows configuration issue or a Photoshop bug. I just want this feature to work. I think Adobe has done a great job producing an extremely powerful product with more features than I will ever use. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a bug or two.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2008 6:05 AM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I have also had problems, pasting (text/images) from the clipboard into Photoshop CS3. Quitting Photoshop CS3 and starting it up again fixes the problem. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2008 3:10 PM   in reply to (dennis_summers)
    I have tried the fix suggested and it does not fix the problem. Running XP Pro.

I was following the Adobe Photoshop for Wedding Photographers DVD by Scott Kelby and it worked for a while, then stopped working. That is when I went looking for a fix.

I am going to remove the registry fix, restart and see if that has any effect.

If anyone has any good ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)