Skip navigation

CS4 Installation Problems

Apr 28, 2009 9:02 PM

Latest reply: Nick_U, Jan 20, 2011 4:29 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2009 4:43 AM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)
    BJBBJB,

People who DON'T have trouble installing generally don't post here. What you see is a small minority of the users who have tried to install CS4.

My advice is to turn off antivirus (which you should do with any install) and any software firewalls, messengers, browser toolbars, scanner drivers, etc, then run the installer and make sure you install to the progra~2 folder (that's the 32-bit program files folder).

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2009 4:52 AM   in reply to Peter Spier
    Just pop in the DVD and install it. With Vista 64 it's highly advised to
    accept the default installation location to make sure that 64 and 32 bit
    programs are installed properly.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2009 7:53 AM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)
    Thanks. As one of those that has had problems with Adobe installations before, I guess I typically am one of the minority! :)

I guess based on the comments my impression that all the components of production premium took advanatage of a 64 bit OS are not entirely accurate.

BJBBJB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)
    I have just started my Illustrator CS4 install. Why does CS4 insist on installing to "C:\program files\adobe"? There is no way for me to install it to another directory! I can select WHAT to install, but not where.

Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 12:34 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)
    You should have had a "Change directory" or similar option somewhere on that screen. As I recall, it wasn't the most obvious thing to find.

Even selecting another location will not keep everything off the C: drive. Common files, of which there are many, even if installing only one application, will be put in the Program Files\Common Files\Adobe folder regardless.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 12:50 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)
    I found the one for Photoshop when I installed that one, but the Illustrator install does not have one.

I copied the installation to the HD and found the deployment.xml file with the supplied "c:\Program Files\Adobe" string in it. I replaced it with my own and then restarted the installation, but it still insists on putting the installation in "c:\Program Files\Adobe".

I don't have a problem with space on C:\, so Adobe can put common files there (ARRGH!! makes OS installation drives useless), but I still want to install it in my programs drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 1:18 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)
    I've never really understood why people are reluctant to put programs on the system drive.

I keep data on a separate drive, that gets backed up nightly, but OS and all programs are on C:, and get backed up weekly and they seldom change more often than that. If your C: drive fails, having programs on another drive won't help you a bit unless you are restoring from an image, in which case it's not a lot bigger job to keep the program files on the OS drive and image the whole thing. If you are forced to install Windows from scratch you'll need to reinstall all your applications again, too.

Many programs, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular here, run better (or only run) when installed in their default directories because some bit of internal code was written with an absolute path instead of taking it from the installation location.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 3:09 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

I haven't found this particular issue covered before, apologies if I have missed it.  I am using a Windows PC running XP Pro SP2. My attempted installation of CS4 Web Premium (as an upgrade from CS3) failed early on when the installer said that I needed to install XP SP3. However, the results of running Windows Update does not list SP3 as an available update option (nor can I see it in my Update History).  Before I search through the Microsoft Update pages looking for SP3, can anyone confirm whether SP3 is actually necessary? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2009 7:18 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

After paying the big bucks for this CS4 master collection software, I can't get it to install. I have 1.5 gig of ram, all slots full. Will it not install with that? The install won't let me install on a drive with 123 gig of free space, the install pop-up says there's not enough room please change location. I change it to another drive with 197 gig of open space and it won't install. Customer service is closed until Monday...I'll be back in class and don't get out until 8pm every frickin weekday.

I'm working on a sony the runs 3.20 ghz with the 1.5 gig of RAM running windows XP. I just reformated the harddrive but windows takes up the C: partition but the extention is 123 gig, and I have several other drives (with hundreds of gigs open) I've tried to put it on anyone of them....it says they're too small.

I've tried to install the trial version and it does the same thing. I'm at my wits end with this!

If there's only one out there willing to help me I would really appreciate, because Adobe doesn't seem to give a fig about helping me. I'm so thrilled that my purchasing this Master suite. Since I can't return it, I am throwing myself on the mercy of anyone who can help me with this

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 6:46 AM   in reply to robinfoley

Answered in your other post, but the answers are here, too. You need more room on the c:drive.

This is a Windows issue, not an Adobe issue.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 9:01 AM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium CS4 - upgrade from CS2

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 - 32 bit OS

HP Pavilion dv9720us Notebook PC - 2 gb ram

Installation Issues

Application Disk 1: The installation proceeded till there was about 1/4 left on the progress bar. It was in the process of installing Adobe Acrobat Pro. All the icons on my desktop disappeared, the install froze. I was unable to exit using the task manager. Finally had to use my on/off switch to get out of the freeze.

Attempted the install again a few hours later. The installer seemed to hang at the same point but this time the icons did not disappear. I gave it some time and eventually the program installed. It appears to be ok.

New Issues

Now I have new things happening that weren't happening before.

• I have some programs that I right click and "run as administrator". Now, if I right click on any desktop icon the installer for Acrobat Pro comes up. Why is this happening and can I make it stop?

• My Adobe Flash player is now totally broken. I have always had issues with it but I had a workaround for it that seemed to work. I have the following icons on my desktop:

-- the Adobe uninstaller (downloaded from the Adobe site)

-- the executable Flash Player with Active X installer

If I right click on the uninstaller and run as administrator, then do the same with the installer at start up I am able to have Flash in IE7. This has worked for me until yesterday. Now when I try to install (using the above methods) the install fails and directs me to tech note 19166. I really need a functioning flash player.

I would like to open a web support ticket but I have been through the support pages and can't find how to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 3:53 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

Can someone please help me.  I've tried to install CS4 and every time it's checking the setup, it stalls at 90%.  I don't get any error messages or BSOD like a lot of you are talking about.  It just simply hangs there.  We've gone out and purchased additional RAM, turned off the virus program, ran registry cleanup, ran the Adobe script, etc... we've tried everything.  It still just stops at 90%.  I am not  a technical person, but I have been installing software programs for 20 years, this is the first time I can't install a program.  Can someone please tell me what the problem is?  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 4:12 PM   in reply to Mrs. S. Braun

If you've tried all of that, it's time to call Adobe. Installation issues are handled free of charge.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2009 5:23 AM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

For those getting BSODs (Blue Screen of Death) during installation on Windows 7 or Vista, the issue is probably related to the installation DVDs. Maybe some DVD drives don't play well under Windows 7 with those installation DVDs, or whatever else the issue may be, there is definitely a problem with the installation discs, as those numerous complaints about them indicate.

I've had problems installing Production Premium CS4 on Windows 7 RC (beta went fine) using the installation discs. Win 7 RC just didn't play well with the Adobe installation DVDs so I installed the suite directly from a hard drive. Worked perfectly. Here are the steps again in case you can't find Adobe's document about it: http://kroycom.com/blog/2009/bsod-install-adobe-cs4-on-windows-7-or-vi sta/

Again this is not a solution if you're low on disk space, or if you clogged your system with antivirus or other junk software. See my notes on that at the end.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2009 1:19 AM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm installing Design premium CS4 on 32bit Windows Vista. The installation goes through seemingly alright but then when i try to open Dreamweaver, Flash or Fireworks it brings up an error message saying

"The application failed to initialilze properly (0xc0150004)" with these details

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    Flash.exe
      Application Version:    10.0.0.544
      Application Timestamp:    48c73089
      Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
      Fault Module Version:    6.0.6002.18005
      Fault Module Timestamp:    49e03821
      Exception Code:    c0150004
      Exception Offset:    00009eed
      OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    2057
      Additional Information 1:    9d13
      Additional Information 2:    1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
      Additional Information 3:    9d13
      Additional Information 4:    1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

All the other programs work fine, its just those ones that won't even open. I've tried reinstalling in every different way i can think of, without AV, with MS SQL and IIS switched off, from desktop with selective startup, you name it and it still has the same problem.

Can anyone help with what might be causing the problem?

Also, when i look in install logs it brings up this error

ERROR

Log of: object

isRunning {string}: 0

percentComplete {string}: 100

message {object}: [object Object]

Log of: object

code {string}: 0

args {object}: [object Object]

which i think refers to the installer freezing when checking the system profile on install but it seems to go through install alright. It also has the following errors.

ERROR

The payload with AdobeCode: {35304775-CB5F-101B-A142-83B5468C225C} has required dependency on:

Family: InDesign

ProductName: Adobe InDesign CS4 Icon Handler x64

MinVersion:

This dependency is not satisfied, because this payload is x64 and is not supported on this machine.

Removing this dependency from list. Product may function improperly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 12:50 PM   in reply to Tom Glen

My problem is simply this:

1.I bought this Production Premium from Gradware.

2. I turn everything off as said previously, however when it says checking system profile (Which is the first thing it does) it says:

=Setup Error=

-Setup has encountered an error and cannot continue.

3. I called Adobe and they were absoultely no help.

4. When I opened the box, the CD case was already halfway opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 11:20 PM   in reply to Mrs. S. Braun

Hi.  I tried virtually everything in the forums when my Web Design Premium CS4 install froze at the 80-90% and never proceeded.  Finally, by deleting one phrase (windows.external.) from the Containerproxy.js file, CS4 installed like a dream -- no glitches, stumbles, or "issues."  Here's the link where I found this "solution":

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407428.html

Good hunting!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2009 2:30 PM   in reply to wujabear

I deleted the window.external. but when I run the setup.exe from the original media, it will override the ContainerProxy.js file with the default version. So I have to install from Add Or Remove Programs or Programs And Features the Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection! but the not finished installation doesn't react! what can I do? or are there other possibilities to run it?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2009 12:14 PM   in reply to Steve_Molon

I have encoutered the same problem. I bought CS4 Design standard, student edition from a norwegian company. The case was open when I got the DVD and it will not install no matter what I do. Can the disks be currupted?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 11:55 AM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

I admit it -- I've posted the same message elsewhere -- don't know what else to do to get help!!

I just spend thousands of dollars purchasing CS4 Master Collection to install in Windows 7 Professional. I figured a new operating system with a clean install along with a newly purchased Adobe Software Suite -- no problem... 

Boy was I wrong. Installer quits with error 1603 everytime I run it. I've searched all over for solutions and tried everything I could. Finally called Adobe Technical Support (worthless)...they registered my program's serial number through support before they would help, even though it doesn't install. Said I need new disks -- the disks must be bad, so I should try an ftp download through Customer Support. Then they passed me on to Customer Support, for an ftp download -- only Customer Support tells me an ftp download for CS4 doesn't exist. You'd think the Technical Support people would know if that's the case (Another example of Adobe's inept practices) Customer Service then proceeds to tell me there is nothing they can do. Thy WILL NOT REPLACE MY DISKS, because I purchsed the software through a vendor. They then told me to go back to the vendor and ask them for replacement disks.

When I checked my Adobe account online, my "support" case was then listed as CLOSED!! The problem has not been solved, but Adobe wants to write me off. Go Figure....typical Adobe. 

So now I'm stuck -- days of frustration later, Adobe won't stand behind their product. I'm now left fighting with a vendor for replacement disks which may or may not work, or for a refund, which they tell me may not be possible because I have already registered the product with Adobe through Technical Support. Catch 22 --

ONCE AGAIN ADOBE SCREWS THE LITTLE GUY -- I don't even know where to go from here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 11:58 AM   in reply to Enchanted in New Mexico

I answered you in the other thread. Spamming the forum will not get you any help at all.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 12:28 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

Bob,

Thanks for answering my forum posts -- I wasn't trying to spam -- just get someone's attention.

I already copied the first installation disk to my hard drive and tried installing from there. The disk copied over just fine, and the installation process did exactly the same thing. I've not only turned off all firewalls, virus protection, etc. -- I uninstalled them just in case they were the problem.

Other than wiping the disk clean, reinstalling Windows 7 Professional, and trying to install CS4 again, I don't know what to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 12:33 PM   in reply to Enchanted in New Mexico

Did you run the CS4 clean script before trying again?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403995.html

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 12:58 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion (which technical support never mentioned). However, I ran that even before I called them -- it made no difference.

As to system info: I'm running an Intel Core 2 T7200 processor with 2 gig of RAM on a 32-bit Installation of Windows 7 Professional, with a 300 gig hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 1:47 PM   in reply to Enchanted in New Mexico

Run it again and then create a new user account and try that.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 2:22 PM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

Bob,

It's not the disks -- I went to a coworkers computer and tried the install there. He's runnin xp sp3, and installation (trial version) went fine. I tried it again under trial version (thinking there may be a difference) on my computer same error stops the installation. So I'm down to Windows 7 issue, or a hardware issue.

I followed your suggestion, ran the CS4 cleanup, restarted the computer, created a new user, restarted again, logged on under the new user account, and ran the installation again. The installation failed at the same spot.

I am now in the process of stipping my hard ware down to the bare essentials -- I'll tackle the possible hardware issuses first.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 2:53 PM   in reply to Enchanted in New Mexico

I'd be inclined to start with the video card.

All I can say is that I installed on three Win 7 machines (Ultimate 64 desktop, Home premium 32 MacBook via Boot Camp, and Ultimate 64 RC) without so much as a hiccup.

What are you full system specs?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 8:49 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

hey i've seen your good whit adobe so i though i could ask you about my problem.

I've tried to download adobe after effects cs4 from internet (the trail) but when im installing the first part goes okay but then its somthing 2nd part installing that always stops when its almost done!!

i'll attach a picture

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 8:57 AM   in reply to hoobamage

Please post in the After Effects forum.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 9:01 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

okay thx

u replyd fast =)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2009 6:38 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I decided to go from trial to CS4, when I tried to install the new purchase I received the Vista Service Pack 1 Required error, but I already have SP2 for Vista. Long story short I've gone so far as to completely format this PC so the only thing on it is IE, and my CS4 download, and I'm still getting the same error.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2009 8:13 PM   in reply to krclark

Having difficulty installing CS4 Web Premium Student Edition on XP SP3 laptop and Vista laptop. Software freezes at "Preparing to Install" after about 25 seconds or so, then gives the option to select "Install" or "Back."

Contacted Adobe support about 4 times. Followed all of their suggestions, including copying software to hard drive and creating new user. Unsuccessful with original purchase Student Edition software, replacement software from Adobe, 30-day trial software purchased in summer, and new student edition software purchased two days ago. Downloaded and ran Windows Installer; downloaded and ran Adobe Clean.

My XP has 500 MB and 1.8 GHz. The Vista laptop has 1.5 GB and 1.6 GHz. Adobe recommends minimum of 1.0 GB and 2.0 GHz. However, was successful in loading the software on another XP SP3 laptop with 750 GB and 1.3 GHz.

Frustration building. Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 5:03 AM   in reply to Vonsk

Neither of those machines comes close to being able to run this software. Nowhere near enough free disk space.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 6:40 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thank you for your response. However, the numbers that I was providing were not the amount of disk space. They represented the amount of RAM and the processor speed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 6:46 PM   in reply to Vonsk

You've got 750 gigs of RAM?

You need at least 1 gig of RAM so let's out the 512 (if you have used accurate numbers we could have avoided this) meg machine. You also haven't said which version of Vista you have. Home Basic is unsupported.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 6:47 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I reread my post and realized that I put 750 GB for the machine on which I successfully loaded the software. That should have been 750 MB.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 7:02 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thank you again for your response.

I just checked and my wife's Vista is Home Basic. She recently downloaded a trial version of Dreamweaver. Is it possible that one or two parts of the suite could be supported?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 7:24 PM   in reply to Vonsk

No.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2009 11:21 AM   in reply to (Jerry_Reynolds)

Currently having the same problem. 3 days ago I was running my Fire Works program that is part of Premium 4; I went into the properties of Fireworks because sometimes it crawls aka slow compared to the other Adobe programs on the software. I changed the settings from Windows 7 to Vista later service pack, never had any issue when I had done this in the past, suddenly my Adobe programs wouldn't open up; a user acceptance agreement window kept popping up. I'd click yes to accept it and nothing happened. I uninstalled and then reinstalled it, from there things went down hill, all of my other programs would install minus Photoshop, Indesign, Ilustrator, Flash etc.; the primary programs.

I called a tech. this Sat. with no progress, they suggest that I call them on the busines days, but I got a feeling that they will no figure it out, because the Tech. service just blows. I'm not likng this at all, because I see a lot of bugs in this software that are also posted on their website. This is too much money paid to have these kind of issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2009 11:26 AM   in reply to (Dave_Miyares)

Going through the exact same issues myself and even went the downloading the media on my desktop.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)