Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 Install Problem

Mar 11, 2009 6:14 PM

I've read through many of the CS4 install problems already posted, but none seem to match the problem I'm having. I'm hoping someone can help.

My System:
HP m8100n
Vista Home Premium (32 bit OS) w/ Service Pack 1
AMD Athlon 2.8 GHz
3GB RAM

Program I currently have/use:
Adobe CS2 (I didn't have any problem with that install)

I have purchased CS4 Design Premium (OEM version). When I try to install the program I keep getting the following error message immediately (before the install actually begins):

"Server Busy
This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'switch to' to activate the busy program and correct the problem."

My options from this error box are: Switch To, Retry, Cancel - however cancel is greyed out so I can only click Switch To or Retry. If I click Switch To my start menu opens up waiting for me to select something (I have no idea what). If I click retry the error box just comes back up. I can't canel (greyed out) and I can't "X" down the error box. I have to bring up the Task Manager and cancel the "Adobe Setup" process to get rid of the error box. There is no error number or any other message/warning.

I have scanned for viruses and spyware - system clean.

I don't have any other programs running and I have removed all unnecessary start-up programs. I don't have any anti-virus, firewall or spyware killer programs running.

I have tried installing using autoplay, as well as trying the "setup" within the Disc 1 CS4 folder - both as Administrator - same error

I have uninstalled Adobe Player, but I haven't yet uninstalled my CS2 (because I can't risk being left without at least that one).

I have copied the Adobe CS4 folder from Disc 1 to my desktop and tried running the install from there (as administrator)...same error.

I have two DVD drives with this computer and have tried the install from both - same error

The problem isn't with OEM registration. I've done the OEM registration (done BEFORE install) and that went fine.

I'm pulling my hair out and beginning to think I wasted my money buying this version. I don't know what else to do or try. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Be warned, I'm not experienced at tinkering with the registry.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2009 7:36 PM   in reply to (manley1534)
    Exactly what do you mean by the OEM version of the Creative Suite 4 Design Premium? Exactly where did you purchase software advertised as an OEM version and what OEM registration are you referring to?

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2009 4:44 AM   in reply to (manley1534)
    That's a big difference from OEM. There are no OEM versions of Creative
    Suite.

Installation issues are handled free of charge by Adobe. Give them a call.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2009 7:09 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Bob,

When you buy Adobe, doesn't it come with the Suite. I guess you only get
    the suite with a full purchase of Adobe, a few thousand shares probably
    won't cut it.

...Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2009 7:11 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow
    When you buy Adobe you get a software company.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 6:16 AM   in reply to (manley1534)
    I've not installed a student version, but I'd guess the installer is trying to check back with a server to be sure the key is valid. Do you have an internet connection available during the install?

You might want to try running task manager to see if you can figure out what the "other" process might be. Look in the process tab and terminate suspects, like internet explorer, which others have reported was running when it shouldn't be.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 6:17 AM   in reply to (manley1534)
    Mike,

I'm pretty sure you were being cute, but a couple of thousand shares won't even get you a discount. ;)

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2009 7:25 PM   in reply to (manley1534)
    I'm having the same issue with installation. Have you found a solution? Thanks!

David

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2009 9:34 PM   in reply to (manley1534)
    I too am having the same problem. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit). I just ordered the trial disk of CS4 Web Premium and same occurs. At first the Server Busy error would pop up as soon as I started trying to install. After looking at some online posts, I disabled my NvCplDaemon and NvMediaCenter programs running in the background. Once done, the installation started working, but just after beginning, I got the dreaded "Server Busy" error again. I finally disabled all of the Startup programs and I still get the error. I am at a loss as to what to do. I am really frustrated, please help

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2009 9:52 PM   in reply to (manley1534)
    Correction on my post: I am running a 32 bit system rather than 64.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2009 2:56 AM   in reply to (manley1534)
    When you turn off startup programs, you should also go into the services tab and hide all Microsoft services, then disable anything that isn't essential for the machine to run, which is probably going to be everything that's left. If you don't know what a service does, Google is your friend.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2009 5:39 AM   in reply to (manley1534)
    After posting last night, I did a few more searches and found the solution that worked for me. I disabled the Windows Search and Superfetch services (64-bit Vista); that alone didn't work for me. I also uninstalled Flash and Reader -- still no luck.

Then I eliminated the Windows paging file. After rebooting, I was able to install CS4. After installation, I re-enabled the services and the paging file.

I hope this helps!
    David

P.S. I had previously tried shutting down practically every service that I could shut down. That didn't work for me.

|
    Mark as:
    13. ,
    Mar 19, 2009 5:08 PM   in reply to (manley1534)
    u use laptop or desktop

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 6:16 PM   in reply to (manley1534)
    Desktop

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 11:59 AM   in reply to DUThomas

I've been moaning and complaining about my inability to get Photoshop CS2 to load an image in an thread.

I may try to temporarily delete the Windows Page File and see if this help.

Thanks for the suggestion!  (Even though it wasn't directed at me. LOL)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2009 2:37 PM   in reply to Erik_Jorgy

Same problem - did you ever get if figured out.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2009 2:57 PM   in reply to countryboy007

No.

I finally just wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything including my original CS2.  It works fine now.

I really liked some of the features that came with CS4, but am a little hesitant in plucking down the 199.99 for the upgrade until a few more patches come out.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 9:21 AM   in reply to randbo3

I also have this same problem!! I dont understand what I ahve to do though.. I have my virus turned off and how do I turn everything else off?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 9:23 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

How do you turn off all the start up programs?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 7:12 PM   in reply to eminem_lover02

I was using Zone Alarm virus detection.  Disabling the program was not

enough.  After I completely uninstalled the program I was able to install

CS4.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)