Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Folders display in reverse alphabetical order

Jul 1, 2008 2:40 PM

Hi, I'm a Windows user with CS3, and when I go to open, save, place, or use any other command that opens up a file browser dialog box, all the folders/files display in reverse alphanumeric order. For some reason, this problem only occurs with Adobe programs. All other appear in normal order.

Is there a way to globally set the folder order to get all the Adobe apps to display in the correct sequence again? (this problem only recently appeared, and I'm not sure what operator error caused it...nevertheless, it's very frustrating.)

Please help!!!

Thanks,
BoB Boyan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2008 1:19 PM   in reply to (Bob_Boyan)
    I am having the exact same issue have you resolved this?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2008 6:48 AM   in reply to (Bob_Boyan)
    Are you using the "Details" display option in the dialogs (check the view icon in the top of the dialog)? Changing to list view (if using the Windows dialog) should put it back into alpha order, or click on a column in details view (in either the Windows or Adobe dialogs) to sort on that column. Click again to reverse the sort order.

In the Adobe dialogs, the other views seem to sort based on the order last selected in the details view.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 2:30 AM   in reply to (Bob_Boyan)
    Are you using the windows dialogs or the Adobe dialogs?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 10:09 AM   in reply to (Bob_Boyan)
    Bob,

I think we may be having a communications problem here. If Version Cue is enabled, you can click a button in in the lower left of the dialogs to switch between the standard Windows dialogs and Adobe's own slightly different dialogs. Of course that may not actually be relevant.

Windows appears to save the dialog settings for each application independently in my experimentation, so it makes sense in an odd way that only your Adobe apps would be behaving differently. Try switching to details view and sort on the name column, putting things into ascending alpha order. Then switch to list view. Are they still in the correct order? If yes, open or save a file as required so you can hit the OK button, and reopen the dialog. Did the settings stick?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 11:28 AM   in reply to (Bob_Boyan)
    Before doing a reinstall I'd try one more thing, replacing preferences, but I don't have a lot of hope it will work since this is happening in all Adobe apps, if I understand you correctly, and that's a pretty big coincidence.

For the moment, I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 12:34 PM   in reply to (Bob_Boyan)
    Hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys down immediately after launching the applications. If you don't see a confirmation dialog asking if you want to replace the prefs, you weren't fast enough.

You can also delete or rename the files in your user profile under the application folders. For InDesign the two files you want to delete are InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData, which is in a different directory. The other apps should have similar files, though I don't know for sure the names or numbers for each of them. I normally suggest this approach rather than the KB shortcut because it allows you to restore them (and the customizations they represent) when they don't solve the problem, so you might want to make a copy of your user profile somewhere so you can copy back these files after a re-install (you have the option of preserving prefs during the reinstall, too, but I think I'd say no to that in your case).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)