Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS2 and XP 64 bit issues

Jul 22, 2008 5:33 PM

This is a strange problem I encountered the other day:

I decided to switch from running 32 bit Windows XP to 64 bit so I could run 4GB of RAM...because I could ;) and all of my programs and drivers installed fine but the only program that has given me trouble is my CS2 Premium(Student Licensing version)

The program installs fine, goes out and installs updates fine and it activates fine. But, when I try to open it, I get the "Serial number not found" in Acrobat 7 and "Name, Company or Serial Number missing or incorrect" in Photoshop. The serial number is correct of course. I did notice that when trying to install CS2, it says that it can not install into the C:\Program Files (x86)\ directory because it contains invalid characters. So, I choose to install to the regular Program Files directory and it installs fine, but it installs into the Program Files (x86) directory when I just told it to install to Program Files because it didn't like the characters :argh:

I had looked around and noticed a thread about the registry values being located in the HKLM/Software/Adobe and Adobe Systems section. My computer did not have those for some reason. To try to remedy this, I went as far as loading Virtual PC 2007, installing XP 32 bit and installing CS2 onto that and pulled the registry from that and imported it into my 64 bit Windows XP. Still no dice. The Program Files/Common Files/Adobe and Adobe Systems directories were missing as well, so I copied those over as well. Still nothing.

Is there some kind of stupid trick to get this CS2 to install correctly onto 64 bit Windows or am I screwed here? I've reinstalled CS2 3 times onto my 64 bit machine and I end up with the same problem every time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2008 5:44 PM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    It's unsupported so all bets are off. The only real success stories I've
    seen with CS2 and 64 bit have been with Vista.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 7:01 PM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    CS3 is not supported on XP 64.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2008 4:43 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow
    But it does have quasi-support under Vista 64. And I can tell you that
    with very few exceptions it does indeed run beautifully.

http://www.adobe.com/education/products/creativesuite/faq.html

Do Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications run on 64-bit versions of Windows
    Vista?
    While Adobe Creative Suite 3 software is natively 32 bit, these
    applications will run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista. For an
    in-depth overview of 64-bit computing and its value, see this blog from
    Scott Byer, Adobe Photoshop software architect.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2008 5:04 AM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    Out of interest, when did you go over to XP 64? XP 64 is an experimental version of Xp in many respects. It has some software and driver support but as you've found ot to your peril, some software and driver issues too.

Vista 64 has the necessary support (both soft and ardware wise) to make it a viable long term prpopsition. I run CS3 on Vista 64 Business. After a couple of installation hiccups, everything runs fine, just as Bob says. I'd consider moving to Vista 64 (make sure your drivers are up to date) or going back to XP 32 bit if I were you Daniel.

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2008 5:03 AM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    I just purchased a HP computer with Windows Vista 64 Home Premium version with sp1.
    I'm experiencing the same problem with the installation of Adobe CS2. The programs install without a glitch but when I bring them up I'm imformed that the serial number is incorrect and the application will shut down . . . and it does just that.
    Microsoft has a download that addresses problems asssociated with Vista 64 and CS2 but this only applies to pre-service pack 1 versions of Vista 64.
    I purchased the new computer to boost productivity . . . this message is the most productive thing I've managed so far.
    Any help out there?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2008 5:21 AM   in reply to (Mark_Lawhorn)
    What folder are the applications installed in? They must be in the
    Program Files (x86) folder.

If they're in the Program Files folder they won't work.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2008 4:45 AM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    Since you have an obvious bias against Vista I'm not going to even
    bother commenting on this anymore.

You've gotten about all the advice you're going to be able to find in a
    U2U forum. Let us know how you make out.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2008 7:08 PM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    Hello, guys:
    I wonder what is the difference between Program Folder and Program Folder(x86)? Isn't Program Folder(x86) inside the Program Folder?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2008 12:55 AM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    Program files x86 is for 32bit applications. So that includes most of CS3. Program files is for 64bit (I think)...

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2008 4:47 AM   in reply to Ian C. Matthew
    Correct.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2008 12:29 PM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    After many struggles I got a successful install. I recommend the following...

1) Activate the Vista Administrator account, and log in as the actual administrator. (instructions can be found all over the web)
    2) Create a Vista Restore Point
    3) Copy the CS2 discs to the desktop. Create a folder called CS2 on the desktop. copy the first disc into that folder, then copy the subsequent disks to the "Adobe Creative Suite 2.0" directory in the CS2 directory on your desktop.
    4) Right click on the Setup file in the "CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\" directory and choose Properties, Compatibility, Run in Compatibility Mode for XP SP2.
    5) Double Click on Setup.
    6) This is important - Install to "c:\programs\adobe" Do NOT install to "progra~2" or "Program Files" or this will cause you much grief later on.
    7) Right click on the Vista Start Button and choose "Explore all Users" Brouse to the various Adobe Program Shortcuts then choose "Properties, Compatibility, Run in Compatibility Mode for XP SP2" for each program shortcut.

Installing the Macromedia programs was a similar process - especially the need to switch to compatibility mode for the setup file.
    After far too many battles, this seems to be the best way to get the job done... I will update this posting if I find anything more to report.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2008 6:22 AM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    I forgot to add a Very Important item...

1) Install ALL Service Packs and updates for Microsoft Vista. If you read the details of those upgrades, many of them mention fixing compatibility issues with Adobe CS2 and other Adobe products.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2008 6:13 AM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    I can't thank you enough for all the work you must have done to figure this out. You'd think Adobe would have done it and posted it--instead I got routed to two different "support" desks and was told they'd charge me $39 up front with no guarantee they'd make it work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2008 3:27 PM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    If you want to istall to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder use the MS Windows shortcut name of "c:\progra~2\".
    That will install it without any errors. I did have problems later if I tried to install additonal modules though...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 6:35 AM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    I know this thread is for 64 Xp problems. However, I was hoping maybe someone here would know the answers to my questions.

I bought an HP Pavillion with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with service pack 1. I cannot get my CS2 software to download. Adobe wants me to upgrade to CS 3.3 for $599.

Obviously, I feel like I am getting it put to me. Does anyone have any solutions on how to get this sofware to work?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 6:41 AM   in reply to (Lisa_McClenthan)
    Nobody's putting anything to you. CS2 is simply not supported under
    Vista 64. CS3, while not certified does have quasi-support. You cannot
    buy a new computer in a vacuum these days and expect everything else to
    work. The same is true on the Mac side where on CS3 is supported under
    Leopard.

That said, I do know of quite a few folks that have CS2 running on Vista
    64 so, perhaps some full details about what the problem is, might help.

As for upgrading, keep your eyes and ears open, CS4 will be announced on
    Sept 23.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2008 12:57 PM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)
    Bob,

Thanks.

Lisa :)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2009 11:59 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Can you please elaborate how you successfully installed CS2 on a 64-bit machine with Vista?

That is what I have, but I am getting the same "invalid serial number" errors in acrobat and photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2009 6:33 PM   in reply to K2GRP

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 1:11 PM   in reply to (W84Wind)

Still didn't work for me... it is looking for the AdobePDF.dll file.  Please help...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 1:14 PM   in reply to Carrie8976

You're in such totally unsupported territory all I could do is guess and it would likely be a waste of time. Roll back to XP 32 bit or upgrade to CS4 and Vista 64 (or wait a bit and upgrade to Win 7 as well).

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 1:30 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Just downloaded Foxit reader... and be done with it.

But thank you for trying...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2009 11:47 PM   in reply to (Daniel_Cooley)

Re: [Where can I find Adobe for 64it XP] (CS2 and XP 64 bit issues)-

-

Where can I find Adobe for 64it XP ?

mark.callens@yahoo.com

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2009 5:46 AM   in reply to MarkCallens

There are no Adobe products supported under XP64.

Move to Windows 7 and CS4 which is fully supported.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thank you -

I have already migrated to CS4 and am in process of upgrading to windows 7 because of many issues with vista.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2009 9:43 AM   in reply to K2GRP

Please note that moving to Win 7 should be via a clean install, not an in place upgrade.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2009 11:18 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, you can't do an in place upgrade from XP to Win7, just Vista.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2009 11:27 AM   in reply to Rick Moore, AIA

I'm well aware of that. The last poster mentioned moving from Vista.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2009 3:44 PM   in reply to (W84Wind)

I had the exact same issues with CS2 and the 64-bit version of Windows 7.  Your fix still works, W84Wind, thanks!  So easy after being on the phone with Adobe Tech Support for half an hour and getting nowhere.  And thanks, Daniel, for your original post.  I'd be stuck doing a premature upgrade otherwise.  (I can smell CS5 in the oven...  mmmmmm...)

The bonus:  Carriage return appears to work just fine in InDesign CS2 on Windows 7.  That was a fairly annoying incompatibility with Vista.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)