Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Document Restrictions of Security Policies

Dec 15, 2006 4:25 AM

Hello,
I've been hunting around but can't find it. Is there a concise reference for how to use Adobe Acrobat8 Security features with the Adobe Document Center? Is it so new that there's no book (Quick Start, etc.) on it?

I send PDFs to people. But I only want them to be able to print the PDF, not copy any of its content. I also want the PDF to deny access after a 3 month period. I was going to use Pinion Software's AutoShred product, but then I stumbled upon Adobe8 and the Document Center, which seemed like a perfect fit. So I immediately upgraded to Adobe8 and signed up for the trial at the Document Center.

I have created security policies and everything seems to work as its supposed to. However, when I look at any security policy, there is nothing allowing me to make the kind of detailed modifications permitted in Acrobat8 - Secure / Show Security Properties / SecurityTab / and the list for Document Restrictions Summary.

For some reason, when I set up a security policy - most restrictive to only permit printing and eliminate file access after 3 months - the "page extraction: allowed" phrase shows up when I examine Show Security Properties / Security Tab / Document Restrictions Summary, even though for everything else it is "Not allowed" which is what I want.

I thought maybe its a bug, because when I close the file and then reopen it, the page extraction is grayed out. But I don't know if people I send the file to will be able to extract the pages, thus getting around my objective of not allowing them to copy/paste any of my proprietary content onto some other file format.

Anybody else have this same problem. Is there a way for me to prevent page extraction and have it show up in the Document Restrictions Summary as "Page Extraction: Not Allowed"?

Thanks,
Robert

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2006 10:08 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Hi Robert

I have a question for you.

Can you provide some details of the policy that you have created?

Like what permissions are checked, who's authorized to access etc.

I am trying to reproduce your issue.

Thanks for your time.
    Sarabjit Singh
    Adobe Document Center Team

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2006 10:37 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Robert - thanks for the description above. I'm one of the engineers for Adobe Document Center. I just tested the scenario you describe and here's what I saw:

1) I opened a non-secure PDF document and used Secure->Manage Security Policies ... to bring up the Policies dialog
    2) I selected "New" to create a new policy
    3) Inside Adobe Document Center I created a new policy where only "Print" under access-rights was checked and I also set the policy to expire after 90 days
    4) Back in Acrobat-8 I selected the newly created policy and assigned it to the document.
    5) I reopened the document on two different systems and verified that the security settings were reflected properly: both systems showed "Allowed" only next to "Print" and on both systems "Extract Pages ..." in the Document menu was grayed out.

I wonder if you looked at the security settings of the *envelope* when you saw that "Extract Pages ..." was not grayed out? The envelope does not have any security settings applied to it and is always readable by anybody (unless you secure the envelope as well).

Is that possible? If you can recreate this problem and can send me the steps on how to reproduce it, I'd be more than happy to take a closer look.

Thanks

Tobias Hoellrich
    Adobe Systems Inc.
    thoellri@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2006 4:10 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I have been fighting the same problem most of the day...except I WANT my users to only be able to extract pages and print. No matter what I do, Extract pages is always grayed out.

Cindy

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2007 7:01 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I, need to fill out a hardship form.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2007 11:32 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I'm new to Acrobat 8 Standard - can anyone tell me how to allow my viewers to print the PDF file but not allow them to make any changes to the text please? Many thanks!

Holly

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2007 5:09 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Robert, thank you so much for your response but it just goes to show how new I am at this. I failed to mention that I don't want to use a password. I'll have 113 of these PDF files accessed within a Help system that will be on many client workstations and/or intranet sites. I want the user to be able to print directly from Acrobat Reader (it displays in the Reader within the Help system) rather than from the Help system (I don't want the usual HTML header/footer info on the pages) which I've tested and works, but I don't want them to be able to edit the PDF file. Am I asking for too much?

Holly

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2007 7:30 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Question--I dont know if this is possible with Adobe but I have a PDF that I need certain parts of the data masked and locked (ex: social security numbers) is there a way I can do this with Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    10. ,
    Feb 9, 2007 4:18 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Hi Holly,

I am not sure I completely understand your question. The PDF files will not be editable by your users. If you want to prevent your users from being able to copy out of the files you can use the Adobe Document Center to apply a policy to the PDF files which does not allow the users accessing the file to copy from the file but still be able to print the files.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Adobe Document Center Team.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2007 2:36 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I have download a Study guide from Internet. But i am unable to print it. The print option is disable.

Can anyone help me so that i can take the print of this PDF file.

I wana go for the exam and i wana take it in hard form which will be easy for me for study purposes.

waiting for reply

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2007 12:24 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I am not a PDF expert. I have a book that is self-published. I want to make it available on my web site for reading only. I have gone into Adobe and restricted it to:
    1. Not printing
    2. Not copying
    However, it can be saved. My questions are:
    1. Is this the best security that I can do? Can I prevent saving also?
    2. How secure is the non-printing and non-copying options? Can someone clever open it someone and print it an violate my copyright?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2007 2:58 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    can anyone tell me how to allow my viewers to print if print option is disable the PDF file but not allow them to make any changes to the text please?

waiting for reply

Regards,
    Manoj Kr P r A s A d
    TCE Consulting Engineers Limited
    System Administrator
    Jamshedpur, India

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2007 2:25 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    no ---np sead to off com---see noan one t-you frank umpierre

|
    Mark as:
    15. ,
    Jun 12, 2007 10:21 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    > Reply to Question from rmeldahl

Hi,
    You can use the Adobe Document Center and define a policy which will prevent the users from printing and copying from your book. If your customers download the book from your website to their desktop and try to open it, the download file will also not allow the user to print and copy from the PDF file.
    Thanks
    Adobe Document Center Team

|
    Mark as:
    16. ,
    Jun 12, 2007 10:24 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Hi Manoj,

If the print option is disabled for the PDF file you will not be able to print it. You have to contact the original author of the PDF and ask him/her to allow printing of the PDF file.

The PDF file format does not enable making changes to the content.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    17. ,
    Jun 12, 2007 10:44 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Reply to Question from wasiim

Hi,

If the print option is disabled you need to contact the author of the document to enable you to print the document.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2007 9:49 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Help please. I want to email a document for viewing only. How can I restrict the reader from copying the page with "screen print" or "one note" or "snag'it" or something similar?
    Thanks,
    Anne

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2007 12:29 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    hi

i have a pdf document in which the document protection summary says -> "docment change: not allowed & document extraction: not allowed". The author of the document is not traceable. so can this be resolved. The document does not have any other restrictions and also is not password protected.

Ashu

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2007 7:10 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    We have just installed Ver. 8 Pro and are unable to restrict page extraction. We have tried both security settings and security policy but page extraction remains "allowed" whatever we do. Please advise. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 12:06 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I have the exact same problem. I simply am trying to restrict everything. I choose password security, and set everything to NONE. Then just like others, page extraction is ALLOWED. I can find nothing to stop this with full restriction. Please someone help as obviously others have the same issue.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2007 7:11 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Hello Everyone,
    The document will be restricted for extraction. When you apply the security setting, the following message is provided (if you haven't already cleared it from appearing by checking the box: Do no show this message again.)

"Security settings will not be applied to the document until you save the document. You will be able to continue to change security settings until you close the document."

That last setting of page extraction is not altered until the document is closed. Upon re-opening the file you will see the setting has indeed taken effect.

If you have cleared the warnings - and would like to turn them back on:
    Edit->Preferences (ctrl k)
    General Category
    "Reset All Warnings"

Cheers.
    Angie Okamoto
    www.techedsolutions.com

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2007 12:22 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    If the document author does not want you to print, use pdf2ps to turn the document into postscript, and then print that instead. Better yet, most versions of xpdf do not follow the optional PDF security flags and will allow for printing, copying of text, etc.

Cheers,
    Joe Smith

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2008 5:03 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    We are trying to do the same thing as Cindy. We need our users to be able to extract pages but not make changes to the document (we have had problems with users accidentally selecting the "delete pages after extraction" option"

Any way to do this?

Thanks,

Charlie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2008 5:32 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    When I apply the security setting, the following message is provided (if you haven't already cleared it from appearing by checking the box: Do no show this message again.) Why this is hapening?Can I use pdf2ps to turn the document into postscript, and then print that instead. Better yet, most versions of xpdf do not follow the optional PDF security flags and will allow for printing, copying of text, etc.
    Martin Fowl
    | inkjet
    cartridge
    | data recovery
    | data recovery |

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2008 7:39 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    sorry I never went through this problem, but I think most versions of xpdf do not follow the optional PDF security flags and will allow for printing, copying of text, etc.
    Martin Fowl
    | inkjet
    cartridge
    | data recovery
    | data recovery |

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2008 9:46 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I am also trying to allow users to extract pages from documents but not make any other changes. I have tried all the existing security settings and this option doesn't seem to be available in Adobe Professional version 7.0.

The only thing I can come up with is to allow them to copy the file into a TIF format which creates a separate file for each page. It doesn't allow you to specify the pages you want to copy so for a large file it is very cumbersome.

I have also used SnagIt to capture several pages but again that isn't truly the most efficient. Anyone have any other ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2008 6:26 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    HOW DO YOU PREVENT PDF FILES ON THE WEB FROM BEING SAVED?
    I saw the previous post from rmehldahl, but don't see a "true" answer about how to prevent SAVING a fully "secured" PDF when it is available on a website. All you have to do is File, Save As and you can save. We don't want copying, printing, or saving. Password and security settings theoretically take care of copying and printing, but I see nothing to stop users from saving a file off of the website. HELP!? Thank you.

RMEHDAHL:
    I am not a PDF expert. I have a book that is self-published. I want to make it available on my web site for reading only. I have gone into Adobe and restricted it to:
    1. Not printing
    2. Not copying
    However, it can be saved. My questions are:
    1. Is this the best security that I can do? Can I prevent saving also?
    2. How secure is the non-printing and non-copying options? Can someone clever open it someone and print it an violate my copyright?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2008 4:39 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I'm in way over my head as a new newbie. I have been assigned the task of creating a simple webpage that will allow the viewing party to click an image of a ticket (a link to a .pdf document) and thus print a ticket to a meeting. I am clueless, and after searching, now even more clueless.

I need to:
    Print only, prohibit saving or editing
    Print todays date on the document (updating to todays date, and titling it an expiration date, making the ticket valid today only)
    Preferably print without actually opening acrobat, or at least automatically closing it when the printing is complete.

Anyone who can help give me some direction would be my friend for life.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2008 9:59 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    I am trying to do more or less the same as Jill, Charlie, and Cindy. I want users to be able to do everything except modify text (i.e. extract pages, copy text, etc.).

The four settings options in the drop-down box on the security tab provide everything but this option.

Any ideas???

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2009 6:32 AM   in reply to (Rwilson7)
    Robert I have this same problem, any solution yet? Hom e pa g e

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2009 9:03 AM   in reply to Guest

Hi, i saw this post

"> Reply to Question from rmeldahl

Hi,
    You can use the Adobe Document Center and define a policy which will prevent the users from printing and copying from your book. If your customers download the book from your website to their desktop and try to open it, the download file will also not allow the user to print and copy from the PDF file.
    Thanks
    Adobe Document Center Team "

that sounds perfect for what i need. how do i do this? can i send it to others in an email?

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 3:54 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)

Hello Robert,

Im trying to acomplish the same thing Holly was but i have the Adobe Reader 9 and I cannot find the Select Secure / Password Encrypt / Permissions you mentioned... Could you please tell me on how to get there; if at all possible since I have a different version.

Thank you,

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 12:57 PM   in reply to (Rwilson7)

I have been using Adobe 6 Standard for probably four or five years now. My principle use of it was to put together a written report, maybe attach some addendum pages, and then secure it all to send off with only printing allowed. I just bought Adobe 9 Pro Extended and see that I can allow/disallow page extractions, possibly something that I had in 6 but wasn't aware of.

I am also having the same problem as some of the other users of now trying to creat a policy that disallows page extraction. I know its probably one step that I'm not doing but I followed the instructiopns in the comments below and "page extraction allowed" still shows up after I've tried to create that limitation in my policy. What am I not doing or doing wrong?

Suggestion, would it be possible for Adobe to allow users to highlight that permission and change it simply by highlighting it from "Allow" to "Disallow". That would probably make a lot of users real happy

sunshinecoastguy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)