Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker CGM Filter problem

Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest FrameMaker CGM filter installed on my machine (downloaded from the PTC website (formerly ITEDO). However, when I convert an SGML file that has CGM images referenced in it, FrameMaker returns errors that there is insufficient memory to import the image and as a result of this it omits the graphics element and invalidates the structure. The images itself are <1kB, so the size should not be a problem. However, I noticed a problem a while ago that the CGM filter doesn't handle CGM files that have a transparent background very well. Are there any plans between Adobe and PTC to update the filter?
TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 06, 2008 Jun 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of FM are you using, and which O/S?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2008 Jun 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using WinXP SP2 and I tested it in FM6.0+SGML, FM7.0, FM7.1 and FM7.2. I have seen this problem before with larger files. The problem is that the imported files always respond differently. Sometimes, you only get the error and the file comes in OK; sometimes they are omitted altogether and sometimes (especially with files >500k in size) they appear with a grey field over them (as if the file name cannot be found).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM do you have on your system? In the bad old days I recall there being inconsistent results with importing graphics, but once I'd upgraded to a couple of gigs of RAM I've never had the problem again. Often it was temporarily resolved by rebooting -- and I recall that one of the key bad actors was having (or having had open but then closed) MS Office apps open, Word in particular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheila,

I have 1GB of RAM on my machine. However, one of our clients has the same problem (which I'm investigating). I'm not sure about their setup.

A similar problem was simply resolved by turning the Transparency of the CGM off. That doesn't work this time. When I replace the filename in the entity of the SGML, no problems at all. There seems to be something in the files themselves that causes the problem. It seems to be trial and error (sometimes the same file shows errors, sometimes it is omitted altogether and sometimes it is brought in OK).

Other files from the same company come in OK without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my perspective just one gig of RAM is barely minimal -- with RAM being fairly cheap these days it would definitely be worth seeing if you can add more to your system (if, of course, the gods of the IT dept. are in your corner <g>) <br /><br />The seeming inconsistency of the problem occurring is one indication that "something" isn't right with the system, either because there's not enough RAM to start with, or there's a memory leak on the system, or that you don't have enough free disk space for Windows / FM to properly render the graphic display. I don't know what the specifics are for CGM, but many graphics formats need an inordinately huge amount of swap space on the system in order to display correctly because they're a compressed format. <br /><br />Better results when you're replacing one graphic for another doesn't really work as a conclusive test, there could be something ideosyncratically intensive in the first file that is avoided in the second one. <br /><br />I don't have any specific references for this, but it seems to me that rendering transparency is a fairly "processor intensive" graphic operation, so by turning off transparency you may be avoiding the issue in some graphics but not in others. <br /><br />Another slight possibility might be something to do with your graphics card drivers (have they been updated recently?). <br /><br />here's some interesting reading: http://www.itedo.de/E/119_133.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
My PC definately need upgrading in every sense of the word. Thanks for your help so far.

I will also suggest the upgrading/updating to our client.

I will have a look at the itedo (or PTC) website.

Regards,

Ferry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines