Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

An internal error occurred while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved

May 16, 2008 5:00 AM

An internal error occurred while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved, but has lost some image data. Please report this error to Adobe Technical Support.

How do i fix this, there are no images in the document

thanks

emma

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2008 6:06 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    It would be really helpful if you provided your FM version and system info...

Does it happens consistently with all files, or a particular file?
    Are there any graphics on Master or Reference pages?

Art

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 6:28 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Also you have to report this to Adobe yourself. This forum is for non-Adobe employees. Although the most likely join from time to time.

What do you mean by "writing imported graphics"? Do you import graphics as By Reference or Copy into Document?

You should choose the first, since this means a reference to an external image/graphic meaning this file cannot be deleted if your FM doc gets scrambled. Of course you can delete the image directly from the Explorer, but that is entirely up to you.

Image imported as Copy into Document becomes part of the document. This means that the doc grows in size, and as with any other piece of software I have encountered the past 25 years, this will eventually lead to disaster. Often referred to as Murphy's Law :-)

keep smiling
    thomas

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 7:04 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Given what you said about the location of the files, it sounds as if it's a network permissions problem (you, or the FM process, may not have write permissions to the source directory). It's also possible that a virus-protection program is preventing the write.

Art

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 8:18 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Emma,

One other thing, which may or may not be related.

I've had a couple of these same warnings pop up the last couple of days, but I just shrugged them off. But after your email, another one came up and I got to thinking that XP SP3 was automatically installed a couple of days ago, and that's the only change that has occurred since these started popping on my system.

Do you know if your system received that update?

Art

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 10:37 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I am seeing this same error on my system: Framemaker 7.2P158, Windows XP. Service Pack 3 was recently installed on my system. Any word on how to fix this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 11:20 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    FYI - I just uninstalled XP Service Pack 3. Works Great Now!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 11:35 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Thanks for reporting back, Brandon -- one more nail in the coffin for SP3 ....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 12:04 PM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Brandon, are you importing anything as an OLE object?
    That's been the reported cause of the problem; replacing whatever with an imported graphic also fixes it.

Art

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 5:28 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    The documents I an editing are a collaboartive project, point being that many graphics have been imported into the documents and not by me. We are supposed to be importing everything by reference but I'm not sure what others have done. Is there an easy way I can search a document or book for OLE objects?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 7:16 AM   in reply to (Brandon_Jacobs)
    Unfortunately the FM find/change doesn't allow you to look for<br />graphics objects directly. However, you can search MIF files and look<br />for: <ImportObUpdater `OLE2'> to see if there are any OLE objects<br />embedded in your files.<br /><br />If you need to quickly convert your book to MIFs, try Omni Systems<br />mif2go demo version available from http://www.omsys.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2008 6:03 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    We use 7.0 and we have hundreds of OLE objects in our FM files - e.g. MS Visio files or tiny symbols we inserted via copy+paste ...
    Please tell me that there is a fix, because we have to deliver approx. 50 PDFs from FM files in two weeks time - quite a few of them books with about 10 files in average ... there is absolutely no way to find and repair all those OLE occurencies and include all the changes that have to be in there in TWO WEEKS!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2008 6:14 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Uninstall SP3.

Art

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2008 6:54 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Does FM plans to resolve this? I need to have both working, XP SP3 with my latest FM 7.2 patch. Can we expect this to be resolved soon?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2008 7:15 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Kessey,

I'm curious about why would you expect Adobe to fix a new bug in a non-current, not-supported program that is caused by a change to the Microsoft operating system?

Why aren't you asking Microsoft to fix it?

Or just back out of SP3 and go on with life?

Art

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 6:07 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    We are running FM version 7.2b144 on MS Win xp Pro (32 bit), and I did not notice this until service pack 3 was installed. I believe I have found a work around to the situation and another contributing cause. If graphic files are placed directly in an anchored frame instead of importing by reference, the file somehow becomes misplaced. If you right click the graphic and open the Object Properties dialog box, and see the phrase "no referenced file" below Main Editor: Referenced File: in the lower left hand corner, this has happened. I found if I removed all graphics files without references and imported them by reference, the source file may then be properly saved. I am also using a program called CCleaner, which removes cookies, temp files, browsing history and the like from a system. If the program settings are chosen too aggressively, and the application runs when FM has a file open, this same error will occur, even if all files are referenced properly. I don't know if SP3 has some similar application which is now running in the background and causing this.

To summarize, if you want to retain SP3, I have eliminated this error by confirming the links to referenced graphics files and avoiding using 3rd party "cleaners" while FM is open.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 7:31 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Ralph,

No disagreement on your third party cleaner assessment, but Microsoft has released a hotfix for this bug; it's discussed in several other topics and the Adobe FM product manager's blog.

Applying the hotfix seems to be the way to go...

Art

[Host edit: the Microsoft "fix" is for the PDF drop-out issue, NOT the OLE issue. AFAIK, this (OLE)is still unresolved and one has to rollback SP3 if OLE linked graphics are wanted in FM. OLE and FM continue to have a strained relationship and IMHO should be avoided.]

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 7:35 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Thanks for posting your solution, Ralph -- I don't recall anybody ever mentioning using apps such as CCleaner and moreover realizing that they were having an effect on FM files, so that's very useful to know.

fwiw, is there any reason you haven't updated to the latest version of 7.2 (p158)? There were several significant problems in b144 that were fixed in p158 -- here's a small list: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3332

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 8:05 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Actually, there was a reason (no longer valid). I had been running b144 on Win xp Pro 64 bit system, which occasionally presented unique challenges of its own with other applications. I was loathe to routinely update and perhaps go from workable to unworkable. Now that I am on a 32 bit system, I will update FM 7.2 to p158.

I am also interested in the hotfix to SP3 referenced above. If there is a link to a posting that contains it, or if a direct MS link can be posted, that would be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 8:31 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    If you're in a hurry, do a search in the forum messages for the hotfix, or visit the product manager's blog -- should pop in google too, although I will poke around for old messages, the info is already available here in the forum and on the Adobe site.

Art

[Host edit: the hotfix is for the PDF drop-out issue only - not the OLE problem.]

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 10:02 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/

Categories:
    FrameMaker
    RoboHelp
    TechnicalCommunication

The hotfix that Art is referring to is listed on the "FrameMaker" category.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2008 9:57 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Hi All,
    I am running Windows XP with SP3. Using FrameMaker 7.2p158. I get the error as described in the post: An internal error occurred while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved....

I am unable to back out of Windows XP SP3 (IT does not recommend it because it breaks other things). So I have to stay with it... I went to the hotfix that Art referenced from the Adobe Blogs. The Hot fix it references doesn't seem to match with the above described error message. The hotfix seems to fix: Save as PDF leading to a crash and
    Text dropping out of PDF created from FrameMaker.

Does anyone have any other bright ideas? I am stuck!!! I can't save my changes, I can't do anything. Help please.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2008 10:15 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Mariana,

I posted the earlier link early one morning before I was fully caffinated. It does indeed reference another bug related to missing text in PDFs, not the SP3 graphics problem. (Arnis, can you kill, it?)

As far as I know, there hasn't been a hotfix from Microsoft to fix the SP3-OLE problem. The workarounds that most people are using are backing out of SP3, which doesn't seem to be an option for you or converting the imported objects to graphic files and importing those.

Art

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2008 2:52 PM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Art,

I've edited the messages to clarify. Deleting them would have made things disjoint in this thread.

Let me know if there is another link that you posted on this that also needs to be edited.

Arnis

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 4:41 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Hello,

I am running Framemaker 7.0 from a windows 2003 server. When i try to insert an object into the fm file and save, i get the error below:

An internal error occurred while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved, but has lost some image data. Please report this error to Adobe Technical Support.

The second thing i also noticed is that I have some files created in FM that contain objects (Excel Worksheets). These files where not created on that server. When i open these FM files i can actually see the objects, but if i try to import these files into another FM file then the text is imported but the objects do not show. I am not sure if both issues are related.

Does anyone have any idea of what is wrong here??

Any help is really appreciated.

Rania

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 6:12 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Getting the same error that many of you have noticed. Our shop runs FM 7.0. p579.

Our IT folks will not roll back SP3 under any circumstances.

Instead, they are talking about ugrading us to 8.0.

I have done a cursory check through the several threads on this topic and don't see the error mentioned for folks using 8.0 Does upgrading to 8.0 solve the problem or am I just missing the instances noted?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2008 2:45 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I'm also having great problems with this error. I have a lot of Word and Excel OLEs that will take a very long time to replace. Time I don't have. SP3 removal is not allowed in the company unfortunately, but buying software to fix the problem is very definitely allowed.

So will an update to FM8 fix this problem? Need to know pretty quickly as I have a deadline looming.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2008 4:21 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I believe the problem is that Microsoft changed the way OLEs are handled. I don't think it has anything to do with Adobe FM... the OLEs that I had don't work in either version.

Art

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2008 4:31 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Thanks for that Art. I shan't go badgering Purchasing for the £300 required to "fix" the problem then.

Time to persuade I.T. that I HAVE to live without SP3.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2008 4:05 PM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I've also gotten this message. We're still on FM 6.0p405 (ancient, I know). In the first file, I was able to find the OLE graphic and get rid of it. In the second one (today), I checked all graphics, and all are imported by reference or were originally drawn in FM. Is there anything else besides OLEs that cause this error?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 11:47 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I think I found a way around this problem when you get the error in FrameMaker, it does actually save the document with a number after the file extension, such as chapter3.fm.387. If you open that file it has all your latest changes. Then you can save it as chapter3.fm and its fine from that point on. You can edit it and resave, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2008 9:12 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Thank you Bindy Card. It worked like a charm.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2008 9:28 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Awesome! My name is actually Robin :)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2008 7:32 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    Hey Robin,

the same problem occurred when I tried to import excel-charts into a framemaker file some days ago. I never had problems with this import till now.
    So I tried your trick (opening that file created when the error occurs), but it didn't work: I could only see a grey area where the chart should have been. Any ideas???

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2008 7:55 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I found that same thing with graphics that were pasted rather than imported into the document. Could you try saving the charts in a format that can be imported, such as PDF, and then importing the file rather than pasting it?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2008 8:16 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I'll try that now - although I'm afraid that the charts won't look the same once they are imported as a graphic and not a chart. The strange thing is that the error happens whenever any "connection" to excel is made. It occurs when I import a chart already created in excel, when I create an excel-chart in framemaker (using file>import>object>create new object), or even when I change already existing excel-charts in older framemaker-files...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2008 11:06 AM   in reply to (Emma_Clarke)
    I am getting the same internal error message trying to save a document with a reference to an imported visio object.

This is happening using my trusty FM 5.5.6p145 on Vista Home Premium which I was forced to move to. Prior to this I was running on Win2k Server without any problems. I never migrated to XP so this is a new problem for me after moving to Vista. (I didn't bother upgrading to newer FMs over the years as there always seemed to be significant problems in each new version - FM 5.5.6 just chugs along without a problem UNTIL now.)

The fact that this problem has been reported with various versions of FM starting with Windows XP points to something Microsoft changed starting in XP and it has continued with Vista.

The workaround of opening the error recovery file (*.fm.xxx) didn't work in my case. The imported visio drawing is just a gray box as someone else noted earlier.

Any other suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)