Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hotkeys Stop Working (?)

Aug 19, 2008 8:51 AM

When using Framemaker v7.1 all hotkeys stop working randomly during use. This includes things such as ctrl-c, ctrl-v, ctrl-b, etc. The hotkeys continue to work in any other program outside of Framemaker.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for about 2 months now with no luck.

The only fix I've discovered is closing down the entire program and reopening it.

Anyone have any experience with this issue or any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2008 9:07 AM   in reply to (Craig_Manzi)
    Craig, what version of FM7.1, the "pxxx" numbers from Help About. What platform?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 10:19 AM   in reply to (Craig_Manzi)
    Craig:

This is a FrameMaker behavior I've observed for several years.

For me, the causative event is usually that of double-clicking on an imported-by-reference graphic so as to open it in a separate graphics-editing program. After doing so, CTRL keys stop working in FrameMaker.

The circumventions I've discovered to this problem, in order of disruption to my workflow are:

* Exit then restart FrameMaker (seldom works)

* Log off Windows then log back in (almost always works)

* Reboot (always works but seldom necessary)

The mental construct I've developed to explain FrameMaker's behavior in this regard is that the program was originally created for a much earlier generation of Windows, and so represents one of several of FrameMaker's age-related "crotchets"...

Cheers & hope this helps,
    Riley

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 10:49 AM   in reply to (Craig_Manzi)
    Craig,

The only time this happened to me, it finally dawned on me that other programs were intercepting the keystrokes before they got to Frame.

In my particular case, some SnagIt defaults and some ClipMate defaults were grabbing 'em at the OS level before they penetrated to the application level where Frame can get them. I change the other program's key assignments, and everything started working in Frame again.

Art

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 7:54 PM   in reply to R. VanDyke
    Gee, for me it happens when I accidentally have the caps lock on. :-)

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 10:36 PM   in reply to (Craig_Manzi)
    fwiw, strange things can also happen to keyboard shortcuts if the mouse pointer is over the toolbar ...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to (Craig_Manzi)

I came across this thread yesterday searching for answers to this very problem. I have discovered that pressing Ctrl+Alt+1 fixes the problem and restores use of the Ctrl keys.

Hopefully, this will help!

Alan.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)