Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Slash Breaking

Aug 3, 2007 10:44 AM

This came up in a thread in the main FrameMaker forum: I'd like to be able to allow line breaks at slashes in some instances and suppress them in other instances within the same document. This could be by including a nonbreaking slash special character, similar to nonbreaking hyphens and spaces, or perhaps a simpler and more comprehensive solutiion would be a tool to suppress line breaks within a selected string, regardless of what characters it includes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2008 12:26 PM   in reply to (Bill_Dauphin)
    can you define the instances of each...I think this is possible by post-processing the file...to 'fix' the slashes - if the cases are element or paragraph style related. It is a simple case of MIF manipulation.
    Let me know more details on exactly what you want and perhaps I can provide a solution
    David@mifmasaters.com - www.mifmasters.com

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2008 12:54 PM   in reply to (Bill_Dauphin)
    I notice that this is old thread, but I, too, would find a non-breaking slash character handy, along with a non-breaking period/full-stop/dot/whatever you want to call it.

These would be very helpful when including code samples, as well as in other instances. I often find I have to spend a lot of time reformatting code just to avoid awkward line breaks. Being able to update some of it with non-breaking slashes and dots would really help with this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 9:52 AM   in reply to (Linda_McMahon)

I notice that this is old thread, but I, too, would find a non-breaking  slash character handy, along with a non-breaking  period/full-stop/dot/whatever you want to call it.

The non-breaking period seems to be an easier case. If the problem is a leading and/or trailing space, use non-breaking spaces (Ctrl-Space).

Slash is tougher, and I solved my one instance of it by using a completely different presentation, requiring no slashes.

But in experimenting, I found that an italicized or oblqued "|" would not break, nor would a math "fraction" (\xda). If I were using either hack, I'd be tempted to put the whole mess in a variable, say char.sym.slash.NB.

Another approach might be to find a comparable glyph in some non-Latin region of Unicode space. I need to stay 7.1-compatible, and didn't explore this.

It appears that the normal slash character is being special-cased for line breaks, and is always used if needed for line breaks, even if surrounded by non-breaking stuff, and even if Hyphenation is turned off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 12:09 PM   in reply to Error7103

One has always been able to turn off the line-breaking at a slash character by removing it from the Text Options panel "Allow Line Breaks After" item.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 1:26 PM   in reply to Arnis Gubins

One has always been able to turn off the line-breaking at a slash  character by removing it from the Text Options panel "Allow Line Breaks  After" item.

A feature I'd totally forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder.

However, that TO setting turns it off for the entire document, and the basenote did say "I'd like to be able to allow line breaks at slashes in some instances and suppress them in other instances".

It would be nice to have the equivalent of the non-breaking space and non-breaking hyphen, or more generically, a non-breaking tag that could be applied to any run of text.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)