Skip navigation
billdaul
Currently Being Moderated

can ya...draw a sphere  ...  with lat. and long.  lines

Jun 28, 2006 4:06 AM

Is there a way to draw a sphere with it's wire frame?

Can I create such a sphere and map a texture underneath the wire frame?

thanks, --guy without a clue on this

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2006 5:34 AM   in reply to billdaul
    There was a post here recently about how to recreate the disco ball from Madonna's latest album. I think the same technique would work just fine. Search the forums for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 6:05 AM   in reply to billdaul
    Sure. Make sure the wireframe - latitude and longitude lines - is a rectangular shape in the form of a Mercator projection. Put the texture behind it, in a same size rectangle. Select both the texture and the wirefrme and make them a new Symbol. Use the 3D Effect to revolve a half-circle into a sphere, and map the symbol onto its surface.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 7:24 AM   in reply to billdaul
    Bill - Are you using Illustrator CS? You'll need it to make a 3D sphere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 8:49 AM   in reply to billdaul
    This .zip archive...:

http://www.IllustrationETC.com/AIBuds/PathScripts/PathScripts.zip

...contains, among others, a Javascript for AICS called JETSphereAICS.js. To use it:

Download the .zip archive. Decompress it. In the resulting folder you'll find the script. Drag it into Illustrator's Presents/Scripts folder. Then launch Illustrator. The script will appear in the File>Scripts menu.

When you select the script, you will receive three prompts, asking you for:

The desired number of latitude lines.
    The desired number of longitude lines.
    The desired degree of axis tilt.

The script then draws a 1" diameter wireframe sphere at the center of the page. You can then scale it and style it as desired.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 1:09 PM   in reply to billdaul
    Actually though I am positive this is really useful I do not see such a script in the un zipped folder.

However I noticed and remember downloading it before and the proper name of the folder James is JETPathScripts

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 1:53 PM   in reply to billdaul
    Try this instead. Create your texture with a rectangular area then use the grid tool to make a grid the same size of the as the textured rectangle and and make that art work a symbol. Then create a sphere with a half circle using the 3D effect. and than while still in the 3D effect dialog choose map art and map the textured grid symbol to it.

This should work the way you want it to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 2:51 PM   in reply to billdaul
    Sorry. The batch of scripts I meant to direct to is here:

http://www.IllustrationETC.com/AIbuds/JETPathScriptsShared.zip

Bill,
    Assuming you are using AICS or CS2, the 3D Effect with Symbol mapping as Gary suggested is fine. I sometimes use both; using the 3D image mapping for the sphere surface, but overlaying it with the grid made by the script. (It so happened I was working on such a thing right when you posted this thread.) Reasons are: It's easy to do "stroke things" (Art Brushes, dashes, etc.) with the grid made by the script, because the paths are all simple ellipses with 4 points...:

...; whereas the 3D mapping route tapers the lat/long lines, and when expanded all the strokes are outlined, even if the Symbol contained simple strokes.

Also, the script results in ellipses spaced as if they were mechanically constructed in an axonometric projection (isometric, dimetric, trimetric), which makes them useful to me for other things, such as sperical "protractors".

For those using AI10, a version of the script without the prompts is here:

http://www.IllustrationETC.com/AIbuds/LatLongSphere/JETSphereAI10.js

A PDF explaining how to edit the number of lines in AI10 and showing some other experiments with it is here:

http://www.IllustrationETC.com/AIbuds/LatLongSphere/JETSphereNotes.pdf

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 6:40 PM   in reply to billdaul
    James I think he needs the globe to be opaque with a texture mapped tot he surface as well as the latitudinal and longitudinal lines over the texture.

Sure you can place a colored background but you will one hell of a time making this art look a solid globe with your script.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 9:01 PM   in reply to billdaul
    Here's tutorial for artwork mapping on a 3D sphere in Illustrator CS2.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2006 10:26 PM   in reply to billdaul
    I think Gary's method is the most practical way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)