Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A "Hide Illustrator" keyboard shortcut

May 2, 2008 6:06 AM

Such as Apple-H or Ctrl-Apple-H. Why on earth should such a basic feature be overlooked?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2008 1:02 PM   in reply to (Steven_Kirby)
    Lack of competition.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2008 1:22 AM   in reply to (Steven_Kirby)
    aha, a "boss-key" - what would you need that for?

try alt-space and then n on windows. Or use a tool external to Illy to manage this, such as AutoHotkey (on windows).

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 6:02 PM   in reply to (Steven_Kirby)
    Option click the desktop.
    Anyway, I use Command + H for hiding edges and that is far more important to my workflow.
    Jason

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2008 7:37 AM   in reply to (Steven_Kirby)
    Edit>Edit Keyboard shortcuts

Menu commands>Illustrator

Assign the keyboard shortcut you wish to use for "hide Illustrator".

(you can even use command+h but you will lose that shortcut to hide edges)

Since Illustrator has long used command+h as a shortcut, people would be more annoyed if they lost the shortcut for hiding edges.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2008 12:26 PM   in reply to (Steven_Kirby)
    Why would they be annoyed if they can "simply change the shortcut?" It wouldn't be near the travesty that changing the new folder command in OS X was.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2008 1:55 PM   in reply to (Steven_Kirby)
    BBEdit has a nice solution to the same problem: they used cmd-H for something before Mac OS X came along.

They give you a preference with two choices:
    * use cmd-H the old way and some weird key combination to Hide BBEdit
    * use cmd-H to Hide BBEdit and that weird key combination for the other thing.

Illustrator and Photoshop should do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2014 1:59 AM   in reply to (Steven_Kirby)

Photoshop gives you Cmd-Ctrl-H as the keyboard shortcut for Hide Photoshop, but when I try to do the same in Illustrator, it says "The key pressed cannot be used as a shortcut."

Consistency across the same suite of apps anyone? .... Anyone...?   Adobe ??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 10:11 AM   in reply to Jadobe

On a Mac, with AI active and Option-click on the desktop Hides AI.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 4:07 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

That's just inherent OS X behaviour. Every application on a Mac will do that by default. What we want is a keyboard shortcut that makes sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 6:17 PM   in reply to Jadobe

Photoshop gives you Cmd-Ctrl-H as the keyboard shortcut for Hide Photoshop...

Wasn’t that Cmd/Ctrl+H? Cmd on a Mac or Ctrl on Windows.

You can make your own keyboard shortcut in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Menu Commands (on a Mac the Control key is not allowed for shortcuts).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2014 1:21 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

It asks you on first usage if you want to use it for Hide Photoshop or Hide Selection. If you choose Hide Selection then I think it automatically assigns Hide Photoshop to Cmd+Ctrl+H. In Photoshop Elephants, this is the default.

Since Apple introduced the Cmd-H systemwide shortcut after many popular applications had established their own use for it, the fallback shortcut is usually Cmd-Ctrl-H. But not Illustrator. For some reason you're not allowed to create any shortcuts that use the Ctrl key.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2014 4:31 AM   in reply to Jadobe

Just try combinations of keys until you hit on something that doesn’t interfere with other commonly used key commands.

The letter I (for Illie) doesn’t seem to be used much except for showing/hiding hidden characters (Cmd+Option+I)

Add Shift and you’re probably in the clear.

I have altered many of my keyboard shortcuts to suit my own purposes (Cmd+U for Ungroup and so on), keeping 2-key shortcuts for the most commonly used commands and 3-keys for those more seldom used. Some of the default shortcuts for common commands are  unnecessarily complicated.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)