• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solved the Illustrator CS3 Crash Error upon saving file on my OS.

New Here ,
May 09, 2007 May 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to save any Illustrator file. Upon saving a file Illustrator CS3 crashed and an error message would pop up and windows error reporting service would be launched to report the error and close Illustrator.exe.

Until i found out that i had the "Print Spooler Service" set to manual. I always start this service manually when need to print things. So, when i started this service and did a print from MS Word, and latter on thought to give Adobe Illustrator another try, i created an illustration and click on save and WOW it saved my file without any crashes.

To test this worked fully, i opened an older version .ai file and did some changes and used the save and save as command, both worked.

I am relieved now.

Espart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip...what OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TimHall, I am using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2007 May 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! You're really saving me out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2007 Aug 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this fix relates to a wider problem, and others can benefit as well. Illustrator has a crash bug that occurs when the default printer is not ready (ie, not turned on or not accessible via the network). You can get around this by changing your default printer to Adobe PDF.

However, I've noticed now that this can also happen if the last printer you printed to is not available. That particular printer, since it was used last for the current document, has become the default for that document. My printer was turned off and I got crashes on save and print. Turning it on solved that.

To summarize: until there is a patch to fix this, your printer has to be available, and Illustrator is then happy. This explains why, for Espart, turning on the print spooler service did the trick. For others, it may be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2007 Aug 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow....thanks everyone! I have had CS3 for months now, and haven't been able to save anything illustrator. Who would have ever thought a spooler would have anything to do with it?? I'm on a laptop, and don't even have a printer connected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2007 Aug 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very annoy by this problem. It is a frustrating that I need to stop "Print Spooler Service" or change my default printer to "PDF". CS3 has been out long enough that this issue should be fixed.

Come on Adobe!!! GET IT FIXED!!! I am tired of losing work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2007 Sep 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having saving related problem with my version too.
i am using cs2 (English)version in a p4 , windowsxp pro , sp2 os.
i am getting unknown error occured msg on saving a particular document.
can anybody troubleshoot this?

use to get this error on saving to ai and pdf formats.no error on saving to eps format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2007 Sep 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, I had this problem and had no idea this would solve it. Thanks! Now, if only adobe would fix it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2007 Sep 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey!

probably a really silly question here, but how do i stop the print service spooler?? there arent even any printers attached to this laptop!!

thanks alot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2007 Sep 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

Double-click on the Print Spooler and set startup type to disabled. -
But if you're not printing anything, doing so isn't go to save you anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2007 Oct 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble getting CS3 file to reopen into corel draw. My file is a drawing (trace) and a number of dots. Even if I have saved in an old version of illustrator AND export as DFX, opening in corel either shows a blank, doesn't recognise the dots, and produces stars.... I seem to loose quite a bit of the original work.

If anyone can suggest anything, it would make me happy. Perhaps, then I can do some engraving...

(Please make the answers as simple as you can. Still working on techno speak.)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2008 Mar 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a pc with XP and illustrator CS3 freezes everything except the task manager --so far(which is the only way I am able to get out of the FROZEN illustrator) when opting to save your work --that has cost me several hours before I first discovered that there is no way that I should expect to be able to save my work. First, usually, a popup flashes up so fast I don't know what it is and/or what it says. I assumed it was a 'save' screen (but I don't know for sure), but after flashing and disappearing, in the status line, it says that this document has never been saved.

These programs cost so much to not work any better than this and to have to pay to talk with the ones that created the poor product for help? . . .Is this ethically right?
(but after reading on this problem, doesn't seem to be much help. . .Do you Find that out after you pay them for the 'help'???) . . .Is this ethically right? --another way for them to make more money on a costly(for me) and faulty product!!!??.....How are we expect to be able to use the product after buying it? --if you can't save anything!!!!

The above mention 'solution' doesn't seem to be my problem (although it got me excited for a moment)
What does saving have to do with printing anyway??? You should be able to save even if you don't even own a printer.

Isn't that deception or fraud to sell a product (especially for hundreds of dollar$$$$$$) that the user can't use????

Can you tell I am frustrated . . .--for me having to save up to even be able to buy this product, then find out I won't be able to use it AND to get help I will have to PAY MORE on top of the insult of spending hunderds of dollar$$$ on a defective product.
Put themselves (the programmers and the ones who decide to charge for help) in my place and would they be any happier or would they be at least as frustrated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2008 Apr 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as the above person. I've reinstalled multiple times to no avail. It's affecting Photoshop, Illustrator, and even InDesign. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2008 Apr 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this solution doesn't seem to help me...
illustrator keeps crashing. the error details are:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 30/04/2008

Faulting application illustrator.exe, version 13.0.128.0, faulting module agm.dll, version 4.17.27.1, fault address 0x002d3ff0.

i tried reading through the forums and followed these steps:

-my print spooler is set to 'automatic' and the printer is always active and available
-the fonts have no license problem since my co-workers here work with the same license and don't experience this error
- tried deleting the AIprefs file and let illustrator create a new one
- unchecked the 'enable version cue'

none of these helped. anyone has ideas or insights? maybe i did one of the above steps wrong?
p.s.
this problem only popped at a certain point. in the beginning the illustrator worked fine.
photoshop also gave me saving problems but following an advice in the forums helped fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2008 May 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone found a solution to the above problem (illustrator cs3 freezes when 'save as' option is selected?

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is for all of you who couldn't get the above to work:

I have Windows XP and CS3 Illustrator.

This same problem happened to me in Photoshop. To fix it, I stopped Version Cue from grabbing the "Save As" window before I could save. Here's how:

In Photoshop:
Edit > Preferences > File Handling...

In the last box, uncheck "Enable Version Cue." Problem solved. (I believe this may be turned on during Adobe update, but I am unsure. What I do know is the problem stems entirely from Version Cue.)

----------

The fix for Illustrator is a bit more complex. The same thing happened to me in Illustrator (and it used to save just fine without any changes on my part) but Version Cue was already unchecked. That is why I wound up on this thread.

1) In Illustrator:
Edit > Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard

2) Uncheck "Enable Version Cue" (if it is already unchecked, this is okay, that is how mine was)

3) Go into Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer)
Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator CS3 > Support Files > Contents > Windows

4) In this folder is a sub folder called "Version Cue." Rename "Version Cue" to something else like "OLD Version Cue".

5) You can now save files in Illustrator (may require relaunch of Illustrator).

----------

***NOTE***
From one of the above posts I found that to keep from having to kill Illustrator every time it freezes on save (pre-fix) hold down "Alt+F4" to close the invisible "Save as" window that is locking things up.

----------

If the above does not work, try some of the other things I did which I do not believe made a difference, but just in case:

1) Choose a valid, online printer
2) Close other programs
3) Restart your computer
4) Trash the old Illustrator preferences (Documents and Settings > (your login) > Application Data > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings)
5) When Illustrator freezes, hit "alt" then after hit "enter" then select "Move" from the drop down menu at the top left. Drag a whole bunch without lifting the left click button. Restart Illustrator. Repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2008 May 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eb110americana - you're a genious :)
the changes only took place after a reboot and for a minute there i was sure it'll be yet another failing attempt but HOORAY!

thanks a lot :)
as for adobe updates - after it screwed my photoshop and illustrator i think i'll stop updating ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank u , i have a problem with my pc that i wanna make print out from illustrator (cs2) but when i was click print its says (can't print illustration) how can i solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very helpful - it worked. Thanks so much for posting this solution!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this issue still after trying everthing but

"If the above does not work, try some of the other things I did which I do not believe made a difference, but just in case:

1) Choose a valid, online printer
2) Close other programs
3) Restart your computer
4) Trash the old Illustrator preferences (Documents and Settings > (your login) > Application Data > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings)
5) When Illustrator freezes, hit "alt" then after hit "enter" then select "Move" from the drop down menu at the top left. Drag a whole bunch without lifting the left click button. Restart Illustrator. Repeat."

Do the above steps work. Last thing I want to do is keep bugging my user to get off his computer b/c I have to keep sprinkling fairy dust on his computer. This is very frustrating issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2008 Sep 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say thank you to all who have contributed to my solution! My particular problem happened to have been the printer problem originally mentioned by Nathan Tyler.

When I first started having this problem, my very first step was to go to Illustrator support and read all their suggested resolutions. I spent days and days and days... I uninstalled and reinstalled, I rebooted in selective start-up mode, I shut off my virus protection, I reinstalled from the desktop, I uninstalled fonts, etc, etc... The only thing I didn't do that they recommended was to re-format. My heart just clutched thinking about that!

Does Illustrator support even know about these resolutions? Do they even care? After this experience, I would like to never buy an Adobe product ever again, but unfortunately, I use PS and DW for work and don't have that option.

I did notice that they resolved the problem for MAC users with a downloadable patch for the version cue problem... Why are windows users always left out in the cold?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as *everybody else* on here... and I've tried everything suggested, all to no avail;

I have no printer connected to my computer (as I'm on a laptop) but I checked my Print Spooler anyway- it was set to Disabled- so that wasn't the problem.

I can't choose a valid online printer since I'm not connected to one. And therefore I've deduced that printers probably aren't the problem. (Though I won't rule it out.. computers are finicky little bastards).

I've closed other programs. I've restarted. I've trashed my old preferences. I've disabled and renamed Version Cue...

"I believe this fix relates to a wider problem, and others can benefit as well. Illustrator has a crash bug that occurs when the default printer is not ready (ie, not turned on or not accessible via the network). You can get around this by changing your default printer to Adobe PDF."

I tried that as well- while in Illustrator I went to File>Print... and nothing happened. I tried it a couple more times, still nothing. I can't access the print dialog box from Illustrator (most likely because I have no printer installed on my laptop?). So I can't go in and change to AdobePDF.

-----------------

In short, is there anything else I can try?
Just for the record, in case it helps: I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1) 32-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I can't access the print dialog box from Illustrator (most likely because I have no printer installed on my laptop?). So I can't go in and change to AdobePDF.

Change your Windows default printer to Adobe PDF. In XP and earlier, this is done via Control Panel | Printers and Faxes. I don't know how it's done in Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

um.. is this some kind of joke? I shall change my default printer so that I have to select it manually every time I am printing just that Illustrator does not crash upon quitting?!

Instead I would suggest that Adobe fixs this asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines