Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error message aggravation

Oct 27, 2008 4:30 PM

Illustator CS3 XP Pro 4 gig ram

I get this error message when opening Illy CS3:
"The operation cannot continue because of an unknown error. IMP"
Then click OK and a second message appears, "An error occurred while processing the appearance of an object." I click OK again and the message goes away. Then I proceed to work. I select some art to delete with the white selection tool, hit delete and the same error procedure starts all over again. The art finally deletes, but the error messages keep coming on virtually everything I try to do. Then will stop and start all over again.
I have two internal drives besides the program drive selected as scratch disk and secondary scratch disk. All other programs work fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2008 5:49 AM   in reply to camelbreath
    Have you tried deleting preferences?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 4:26 PM   in reply to camelbreath
    Joe:

If you have a lot of work you would like to save from the corrupt file, it might be worth trying the copy and paste the artwork into a brand new blank file trick.

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 9:59 AM   in reply to camelbreath
    Joe,
    Please tell me what you found out, I am having the EXACT issue. I could use a solution. Thanks!
    Teri

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 1:09 PM   in reply to camelbreath
    Joe:
    I actually discovered it was a object that the freelancer had made from a circle - for some reason when he made the circle and cut the path in half, and made it an object, that freaked Illustrator CS3 out. I redrew the two simi circles using the pen tool freehand, and deleted the semi circles and no more ERROR messages! WEIRD, I know.... a funky bug, I guess. I read that this can happen too if there is a path that has been cut or broken and a stroke had been applied to it, however my objects were not stroked. I guess there can be a few instances where the error is prompted, however they seem to have a path in common.
    Hope this helps you.
    Thanks,
    Teri :)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2008 1:49 AM   in reply to camelbreath
    Joe

Another thing you might want to try is to lower the resolution in the "Document raster effects settings" under Effect menu before opening the file. I suspect the file contains some heavy effects or graphic styles applied to large objects which might be hard to render.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2008 2:24 AM   in reply to camelbreath
    Since the document raster effects settings are document level settings, you will need to open the file first before lowering the resolution.
    Although this might not be a solution for opening the file without error but it should help in shooing away the chronic error message "An error occurred while processing the appearance of an object".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2008 5:50 AM   in reply to camelbreath
    Hey Joe

Is it possible for you to share your ai file somehow?
    Maybe i can have a look at it and try to catch the bug.
    I myself have also faced the "An error occurred while processing the appearance of an object." error message.
    But i have never seen the "The operation cannot continue because of an unknown error. IMP" error so i am a little curious [:-)]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 8:03 AM   in reply to camelbreath
    Same problem here. I have found that copying images to a new file will solve the problem however I am having this problem more and more recently. Are you guys using OS X? Maybe its an operating sytem error? I don't know? I would like to permanently resolve this problem. There is no reason a multi hundred dollar program should have any errors. my e-mail is white@reformu.com if anyone finds a solution please keep in contact.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 8:08 AM   in reply to (username770)

Go to your hard drive/Library/Preferences and throw away anything with the name adobe in it -- folders and file names (.plist). This should resolve it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to madi321

I seriously doubt that trashing the Prefs is the correct prognosis for this issue. It's a little naive to suggest trashing prefs as a catch-all for solving every error. But for the record, if you want to trash the prefs, you don't have to do it manually. From the manual:

Resetting preferences can be helpful if you are having problems with the application.

Do one of the following:
    • Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.

• Remove or rename the AIPrefs file (Windows) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs file (Mac OS). New preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

Note: It is safe to remove the entire Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings folder. This folder contains various preferences that can be regenerated.

But in this case resetting the preferences is barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid. The issue is in the file, not the application, so prefs don't come into the equation. You get this for two reasons, it appears:

1. an issue with rasterized artwork in Illustrator (begging the question - what are you doing with rasterized artwork in AI in the first place, but I digress)

or

2. a geometry issue - most often this comes from one or multiple Pathfinder operations, or working with illegal / poorly constructed geometry coming in from another source (a font, or EPS file)

In the current situation I'm experiencing, it's on an outlined font (the letter "L" with no compound path) that I'm trying to cut manually with the Scissors tool. Once I perform the cut, the error dialog appears, saying "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [!IMP]". Following that is a second modal dialog saying "An error occurred while processing the appearance of an object".

Copying and Pasting

Because this is a geometry issue, copying and pasting the artwork into a new, blank document will not do anything toward mitigating the issue, as the erroneous geometry comes along with the artwork that's pasted.

Retracing

Retracing / re-drawing is certainly a workaround, but certainly not the most desirable solution.

Offset Path

The old Offset Path at 0px offset doesn't solve the problem (also tested on larger offsets and that did nothing as well).

Poorly constructed geometry - hidden compound path

Strangely, the Knife tool did not cause the same error. In my specific case, this will allow me to proceed, but now my curiosity is piqued.

Following up on the Knife tool, is it possible it doesn't like the unclosed path? So I cut the opposite side of the path to completely separate the object (same error). This has caused a Compound Path to be created (the object was NOT a compound path prior to this). Release Compound path (still error). Now close the two shapes. No more error.

So there's something in the geometry (quite likely came in with the Font) that had some kind of embedded closed / compound shape that doesn't actually exist and is causing the parser to choke.

I'm out of ideas for how to "clean" the shape. Simplify errors out and things just get weird from there. Overlaying a large solid box and using Pathfinder > Divide and extracting the "hole" out of the solid still has the same geometry error. So I don't think there's any programmatic way to remove the geometry error.

Anyone else?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to camelbreath

Hi there Joe.

Happens the same to me and it's no good to 'get use to it'.

In my case, each time I press ctrl+Y to see my canvas outlined the error appears.

I founded I got a shape sliced with the knife tool, and that generates lot of anchor points data and make illustrator freak out.

To discover wich object is bodering, start copying by parts your canvas to a blank document and checking in the blank doc wich part have issues.

Hope I helped : )

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 2:21 PM   in reply to camelbreath

This happened to me at random. I did not have any roster images and i did not have an unreasonable amount of layers or anchor points. Also non of the effected objects had a stoke. The first four objects I created when started the illustration were the ones that gave me problems. I was able to correct the error by selecting the effected objects and going up to Object > Expand Appearance. I hope this helps somebody

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)