Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS4 Crash on Save help!

Jan 25, 2009 11:45 AM

I have Illustrator CS4 on both Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 platforms. Whenever I attempt to save work via save, save as, or save for web and devices, the program stalls and crashes. I have not found a working solution, the Printer Spooler is not the problem, so what is causing this problem? I have reinstalled the program and even OS to try and fix this. It works the first few times I use it then starts to save crash. If someone has a solution please help as I need the program to do my work!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2009 1:38 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)
    I have the same problem, only not running Vista (Microsoft Office Pro), and it destroys the previously saved Illstrator file which reflected no problem at the time of saving.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2009 1:39 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)
    I'm running CS2, not CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2009 1:41 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)
    Sorry, Windows XP OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2009 10:08 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)
    No solution for the crash, but a partial solution for recovering illustrator files:

Partial workaround can be found here - http://reubenmiller.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/03/designers-tip-h.htm l

Excerpted from reubenmiller.typepad.com:

"(paraphrased from Behance.net, where the tip was originally posted by Yael...)

I've discovered a fix that worked for me in un-corrupting corrupt adobe Illustrator files - quite by accident. Hope this helps someone!!

Requires Acrobat (not just the Reader).

Works on (and was tested in) Illustrator version 10 and all CS versions.

>Open the corrupt file in Acrobat.
    >Take the arrow tool.
    >Click on any element or text in the document.
    >Just move the object by hitting one of the directional arrows on your keyboard.
    >File, Save.

>Open the file in Illustrator.
    >It will say 'this file has been modified outside of Illustrator' or something to that effect. it will ask if you want to keep changes.
    >Say 'Yes' (or OK)"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2009 5:58 AM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)
    Was a solution ever found for this? I am having the same exact problem in Windows Vista 32bit. I have ran through the entire list of things Adobe recommends in diagnosing the issues, outside of a re-install which I will try tonight, and nothing seems to fix it so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2009 9:16 AM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2009 10:08 AM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)
    Thanks for the help. It seems my issue may have been that I need to do a "run as administrator" routine on Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2009 8:32 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

I had this exact same problem and changing the Default Printer did fix it. The printer I had set previously was a Network Printer and I'm currently off the network.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2009 11:45 AM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

This solution solved my crash problem today!!!!

Couldnt for the life of me work out why my file kept crashing, on save, selecting anything even just moving around the screen it would crash.

Tried all of the solutions on the Adobe forum, nothing worked, until....

Relinked the one JPG file i had linked in my file to a PSD instead and it has'nt crashed once.  The offending jpg had a clipping mask applied to it.

Not ideal (to have to not link JPGs) but least its stable now.

Thanks so much for the tip comicstar, I lost about 6 hours trying to get my file finished, sorted in 5 minutes after it stopped crashing.

Cheers,

Dooda

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 11:08 AM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

Mine is doing the same thing. When i go to "Devices and Printers" my default printer is set to Adobe PDF, so i'm not sure why it's happening to me.  I am connected to printers on a network from school, and when i'm working from home, that's when the crashing is happening, ONLY when i am working from home.  SO, I am not sure how to correct this then.  When i try to Print the file from Illustrator, so change the default printer from there, it won't even open the print dialogue box.

what shoudl i do?

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2010 1:48 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

Thanks so much. I suddenly had this problem on XP with CS4 and switching the default printer stopped the crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 2:03 PM   in reply to ritchot

This is the same problem I'm having only the computer my printer is connected to is off and I don't want to have it on every time i need to work on a file.havent tried it yet though to see if that actually is the problem :O  a solution would be awesome!  another thing is that my file seems to save unless i have a linked file or jpeg in it :O  i really need help trying to do a homework assignment and illustrator keeps crashing

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 2:06 PM   in reply to neverbenormal

What OS are you using? You may be able to set up virtual printer like Adobe PDF which might help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 9:55 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I'm using Windows Vista :O the most basic version I believe.  Luckily I managed to get my assignment completed but The computer with the printer had to be on the whole time.  How would I set up a virtual printer?  Is there a link to a site that tells me how to do that?

Thanks for the help

Lara

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 8:57 AM   in reply to neverbenormal

Do you have Acrobat 8 or 9? If so, it should have installed Adobe PDF 9.0 which is a virtual printer for making PDFs from multiple applications. Look in your printer list and see if it exists. If not try running the Repair installation from Acrobat help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 7:12 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

ah I do have it!  I didn't know it came with my software package :)  Thanks so much I'm going to set that as the default then ^^  thanks a lot for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 7:51 AM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

I encountered the same problem after switching form my HP1522 to Lexmark X264dn. My work was originaly saved with the HP printer and when I tried to modify it, it wouldn't save nor print. Changing my default printer didn't work. To fix the problem, I just created a new file and copied my work from the old file to the new one and I was able to save it. The problem occured because I didn't uninstal the printer, I deteted it in the Printer section of the Control panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2011 12:37 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

Thank you so much for posting this solution Shaun! I had moved to a wirless printer setup a few months back, but did not encounter this unexpected quit upon saving until working remotely just recently. You are a life saver, work is easy again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to (Shaun_Behl)

I'm having a similar problem... my Illustrator will crash when saving or just will save the document as a pdf not .ai format.

Tried resetting preferences and tried the printer thing... it's not working for me... that or I'm just not doing it correctly.

I own a Mac OS X version 10.5.8

if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to Crescent59

Hey, just wanna post that I was able to figure out my problem... I had originally made my own post (before I saw this one) so here is the post I had made: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4876056#4876056i

and basically my solution was this:

To fix this, all I had to do was right click on the file, go to get more info (or apparently press command "i") and down where it says "open with" select adboe illustrator. This will change the file to the correct .ai format and save all future files as the correct .ai format as well. If you just try to right click the file and click "open with" and select illustrator, the file will not open.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)