Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS2 Convert RGB Images to CMYK Within Illustrator

Mar 23, 2009 8:33 AM

Hey everyone. I desparately need some help here. I designed a file in Illustator CS2 and my file had images within it. I took it to a professional printer and he said my images needed to be converted from RGB to CMYK to print properly. The printer had CS4 and he said to change the colours you click on Edit -> then Colours, which in turn allowed him to change the pictures format from RGB to CMYK. I only have CS2 and when he told me to select Edit and then Colours, well CS2 does not have that. It's something completely different.

If someone out there knows how to change the picture files from RGB to CMYK "within" Illustrator CS2 could you please tell me how as Adobe's phone support only deals with the most current version.

Any help you can provide me with, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Julie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2009 10:00 AM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    Perhaps he meant:

FILTER>COLORS>CONVERT TO CMYK

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 10:47 AM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    That doesn't do what the OP wants in AI 12 (CS2), Philip.

If you place an RGB image into a CMYK Illustrator document and select it, you'll see that all choices under that filter are grayed out.

The bigger questions here are 1) Why were RGB images placed into a CMYK document; and 2) Why can't the printer deal with it anyway?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 11:11 AM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    The printer not being able to deal had occurred to me.

I place a RGB image into a CMYK doc (in cs2) they are not grayed out for me.

I have the following options available under the filter>colors menu:

Adjust colors
    Convert to CYMK
    Conver to grayscale
    Invert colors
    Overprint black
    Saturate

With the blends grayed out and the convert to RGB also grayed.

Am I missing something?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 11:27 AM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    I might be missing something, but this is what I get:

EDIT: Just figured it out. I was linking. You were embedding.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 11:38 AM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    Ahhh, good, I was tearing at my hair wondering about it.

We do pretty much all spot color where I am, so I usually wind up recreating logos or bring in grayscale images, so I felt I was on shakey ground.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 11:51 AM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    >This is for my benefit as I have just purchased a colour laser printer and wanted to be able to print something proper like the professional printer.

Unless you have a PostScript RIP for your laser printer (a separate driver provided either by your printer manufacturer or a third party) you cannot proof CMYK documents directly. Lacking a PostScript RIP, you can still get a pretty good idea if you have Acrobat. Print to PDF using settings that convert to, say, sRGB... then, print that PDF document on your laser printer (using its native non-PostScript driver).

For your older documents, if your placed RGB images are embedded (rather than linked), you can try Philip's suggestion. It shouldn't matter, though. Illustrator should do the necessary space conversions at print-time.

If the images are linked, I would suggest you convert them to CMYK in Photoshop. I'm sorry, but I do not know of a way to do the same thing within Illustrator (v12 aka CS2).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 12:13 PM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    OK. Since you're familiar with DTP apps like Quark and InDesign, I'll assume you understand the difference between linking and embedding.

When you place an image in Illustrator (via File | Place), you are given the option to link or embed:

If you uncheck the box, you embed.

Even in documents in which you've linked to your images, you can always embed them using the button on the control palette:

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 12:29 PM   in reply to (Julie_Habinski)
    >But if you embed the picture you click edit, colours, convert to CMYK and then everything in your document should be in CMYK?

I honestly don't know. I've never used this feature. I hope someone else can answer your question.

Because RGB and CMYK space gamuts are so different, one typically makes last-step adjustments -- e.g., saturation, hue modifications, etc. -- in Photoshop after converting to CMYK and before placing in Illustrator or a DTP app.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)