Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PMS Codes - Color Codes

Mar 2, 2008 7:20 PM

I need to know the PMS Codes for the colours i have used in my illustration, for the sake of the printing company. For example, Violet 266U. How do i find these codes on Illustrator? I have Illustrator CS3 and Windows XP.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2008 8:36 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Nicholas:

Go to Window>Swatch Libraries>Color Books>Pantone Solid Uncoated, set the palette for list view, pick out your PMS Violet 266 U (Actually, it should be PMS 266 U, because PMS Violet U is its own color), then double click the swatch in the swatches palette, and in the dialog box switch where it says "Book Color" to "CMYK", and the percentages should just roll right out...

Bert

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 9:35 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    I think Nicholas is asking how to do the reverse, Bert. (He's already got a bunch of colors he's using and wants to know the nearest PMS book colors.)

I'm not sure how one would do that in Illustrator (or any other program) because that's kind of an ***-backwards way to pick colors. Normally, one would pick spot colors from a Pantone book (swatch library) as one is creating the illustration. Then, Illustrator can help you determine the nearest CMYK equivalents, if necessary, for process printing (and this is not necessary if you're printing with spot/custom colors).

Nicholas - In your situation, I would go to my Pantone book and re-color my illustration with known PMS colors. If you don't have a swatch book, you can use the swatch library built into Illustrator, but understand the limitations of what you can judge on a monitor and make sure your monitor is calibrated.

Either that or -- again assuming your monitor is calibrated -- make sure all of your colors are CMYK, tell your printer this is a 4-color process job, and assume responsibility for the accuracy of your CMYK values.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 9:51 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    i If
    you are correct, Harron, then Nicholas should use the Color Guide tool in CS3, it does that lookup fairly well.

Nicholas:

Open the Color Guide palette. Select an object with the color you want to reverse-engineer into a PMS color. Look for the little pinwheel icon at the bottom of the palette, click on it.

In this new dialog box that pops up, at the top, next to where it says "Color Group", click on the button. This will get the color from the artwork.

Click on "Assign" next. In the new dialog options, find the Preset "1 Color Job" (Obviously, you can also find more than one color at a time by using other presets).

Once you select the preset, another dialog pops up, asking which color library to use. Pick from the list.

Lastly, at the bottom of the main dialog, the default display is the CMYK color sliders, next to it is a little round button, click it and select "tint" from the list, now your PMS color will be revealed.

HTH

Bert

Bert

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 10:19 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    >...Nicholas should use the Color Guide tool in CS3, it does that lookup fairly well.

Cool.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 10:27 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Are you still using 10, Harron?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 10:28 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    ...not that there's anything wrong with that! Not as many bugs as CS3!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 10:32 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    I'm at 12, Bert, although I also have 10 and 8 installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 10:36 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Even numbers have it...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2008 10:44 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Seems so. It'll be interesting to see whether 14 will be a stable product.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2008 6:17 AM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    I'm just hoping it'll be 64-bit so I can upgrade my computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2008 6:32 AM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    I'll settle for a debugged 32-bit version.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2008 6:50 AM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    I agree that would be nice, but by the time a CS4 gets deployed, 64-bit will/should be in higher demand. The 'industry standard' needs to keep in touch with the industry.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2008 2:54 PM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Harron,

>I'm not sure how one would do that in Illustrator (or any other program) because that's kind of an ***-backwards way to pick colors.

Probably, among the older versions, the least assy way is the the Color Picker matching in PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 8:40 AM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    I guess we'll never know to which direction Nicholas was converting.

And, Jacob, you've earned another "Huh?"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 9:13 AM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Harron,

>I guess we'll never know to which direction Nicholas was converting.

Unless he makes some utterings from his new faith.

About the Huh:

As you know, in PS, you get to the Color Picker by clicking the relevant colour selection box in the Toolbox or in the Color palette.

If you click Custom and choose the PMS book in question, you can compare your colour below and (each of) the closest equivalent(s) right above it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 10:35 AM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Very good, Jacob. I was unaware of that trick, and it's good to know.

FYI, the button in the color picker changed from "Custom" to "Color Libraries" at PS 9 (CS2), but it works the same way. (I have 7, 8, and 9 installed here.) I don't know what it is in PS 10.

|
    Mark as:
    18. ,
    Apr 23, 2008 7:52 AM   in reply to (Nicholas_Goodridge)
    Thanks guys. Bert's tip for Illustrator worked great for me.

I have a few number of runs to do, and they are coming in from an unsophisticated audience in such tools as Word, PowerPoint, and facsimiles of drawings on Denny's napkins. Being able to use Illustrator to suggest a Pantone is very useful. Although, Photoshop's capabilities, which I have been using, is easier to remember and use.

Cheers,

Sean

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)