Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Select Same..." Just as in Illustrator in Indesign?

Sep 17, 2008 8:53 AM

Hello All-

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any Indesign plug ins or scripts that work similar to Illustrators "Select Same..." feature of finding objects, type & strokes of the same color, value as what youhave already selected.

I work in pre-press and we have clients who spec their type in odd colors (0% black, Registration Color, or in an RGB color which isnt even in their color pallet)

Specificaly in text, it would be great to have a tool that shows what text is colored and where. What objects or anything may be in RGB, because often the color isnt in their pallet. We have these booby traps all the time and it is hard to manually catch them all.

Any direction to such a plug-in or script or advice would be appreciated!

DA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2008 10:56 AM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    I can't help with the plug-in but here is some info that may help.

All colors used in an ID document are in swatch palette. So, if you see RGB blue in swatch palette, and you know it's supposed to be Pantone 072, delete the RGB swatch and it will ask you which color to replace it with throughout document, choose 072. Using this method you don't have to select objects, and it's especially great for long documents where you wouldn't want to do the color replacement on each page.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2008 1:22 PM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    >All colors used in an ID document are in swatch palette.

Except the ones that aren't.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2008 6:54 PM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    In a way, all colors ARE in the Swatches panel. Click on the Swatches Panel Menu button and choose Add Unnamed Colors. Then, begin to Delete/Replace to the correct swatches. Shouldn't be too much trouble, unless the file is a real trainwreck.

Mike Witherell in Maryland

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2008 12:56 AM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    Try this:
    http://www.rorohiko.com/likefindslike.html

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2008 12:11 AM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    DA,

Select same wouldn't work in ID as you would only be able to select stuff on a single spread.

But have you looked at the selection options in the Find/Change by Object attributes?

That feature is actually more robust than the Illustrator "Select Same" commands.

You can find objects with a certain stroke color and a specific stroke weight.

You can search for objects by corner options, transparency attributes, text wrap options, and so on.

It is so much more powerful than Illustrator!

And you can save complicated queries for future work.

Oh, even BETTER than Illustrator.

You can also APPLY formatting using that dialog box. Much more powerful than Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2008 2:57 PM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    For the text that is stroked, or colored weirdly, you can use the Text attributes to search for a stroke weight or a stroke color applied to text.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2008 8:49 PM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    Use the "Add unnamed colors" command in the Swatches flyout. Select any instances of RGB/CMYK black, delete, and replace with black.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 1:40 AM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    Try the select feature within inDemand available on apple.com downloads page or www.mymacmac.com. Can select by choice of attributes. not as advanced as I would like but still probably comparable with the illustrator version.
    The app also has heaps of other cool stuff.

Mike M

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 11:19 PM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)
    DA, are Your customers at least consistent in which wrong colors they use?
    Because if they are, Scripting might provide a rather convenient way of correcting that.
    And if You were satisfied with Indesigns standard CMYK-conversion of RGB-colors You might use Kasyans Script from this thread:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05f3c7/1
    I know this is not the Scripting-forum (and its a little late), but maybe it could help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to (DA_The_Lab)

I understand DA. I too work in PrePress and have several customers who like to use crazy color combinations. The thing I like about the select same in Illustrator is that it's quick. Just select the color in the swatches panel and then select same! I do love the find/change in InDesign but it can be time consuming. I hope you found what you were looking for. As for me, I just make do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Sandee Cohen

WOW, that was exactly what I was looking for. Powerful indeed, thank you so much Sandee!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)