Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to change single page documents to facing-pages

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2008 Oct 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
I am brand new in indesign and facing the above issue. All of these where quark documents that have been turned into indesign single pages documents.
I tried changing the document setup to facing pages but did not work.
I tried moving the pages and place them next to each other so as to produce spreads but did not work either.
Making a search I can only find how to change facing pages to single ones, but not the opposite.

Could someone point me to the right direction?
Thanx in advance
Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I tried changing the document setup to facing pages but did not work.

It certainly should have. Can you post the file somewhere for us to look at?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for the quick reply Bob
What I get out of the 20 single pages is 20 right side single pages.
I am on an iMac using CS3.
I do not think I can post the file since it is a 16 Mb document.
Furthermore, this file is only one part of 10 documents consisting the whole book.
After solving my problem with the pages I will have to merge them all together to a single file since this is what the printer asked for.

Please advise and thank you once more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>All of these where quark documents that have been turned into indesign single pages documents.

What method did you use to convert the Quark document to an InDesign document? Were you able to simply open the Qx file in IDCS3, or did you use the Q2ID converter from Markzware, or something else?

As for the 16Mb file size, convert a light weigh test document that reproduces the problem and post it so we can try to help you with this problem. But the test document MUST reproduce the problem.

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Al
I was given the documents but I think a converter was used.
Now. I fiddled a bit more and this is what I did and got
1. I checked allow pages to shuffle
2. File--> Document setup--> facing pages
3. done?????? NO
4. Now I have 1 master page with left and right margins and a document with spreads with inside outside margins
5. I make two new pages in the end of the document
6. I "save as master" these new pages/spread. I do not need them any more, so I delete them
7. I change my margins accordingly on the master spread
8. I apply to all pages
9. DONE (I think)

Could people with good knowledge of indesign give us an opinion of the steps. I may have missed something that will probably cause problems in the workflow

I also had a couple of unanswered questions here http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6d27e/2. Answers would be highly appreciated

Thank you
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 27, 2008 Oct 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am reading the problem correctly, try this:

1. Start with original document.

2. Select all pages of the document in the Pages Palette.

3. Turn ON Allow Pages to Shuffle in the Pages Palette Menu.

4. File > Document Setup...

5. Select Facing Pages, Click OK

HTH

-mt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael thanx for the reply

I tried that but as i said before, it is not enough because other issues arise. That is why I had to take steps 4-8

What I want to know is whether these following steps are correct for the workflow. So far they seem NOT to cause any problems

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your extra steps are necessary to get the document to use a facing pages master. In fact, quite a neat way of achieving that end. You could, of course, just make a new master spread and then apply that, but you'd have to manually edit the masters to get them the way you want them. On the other hand, assuming you want to have asymmetry on your left and right pages, you will now need to edit the master you created anyway -- be sure to switch on Layer Adjustment before doing that.

And, if you're in a situation where you have a lot of master pages, then you have more work to do.

Converting a document to facing pages does not, in and of itself, convert existing single-page masters to facing page masters.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Dave,
Thank you for your time.

i you will now need to edit the master you created anyway

That is what I did on step 7. So I assume I must switch Layer Adjustment on JUST BEFORE (or anytime before) step 7.

Two more things (if you guys have the time).
I am also given (for a second book by the same person) a Microsoft Word-Windows document of 200+ text pages with about 300+ footnotes spread through out. And she does make a lot of changes all over the place every couple of days. The best part is that she keeps forgetting to mark some of the changes she makes. Quite frustrating. The document has NO images in it.

Q1: Would it be a good idea to have Master Text Frame enabled from the beginning and actually keep placing her new documents on the first page populating with Autoflow?

Q2: She sometimes tends to make changes to only the text of the already existing footnotes. Is there a way to just select ALL of the footnotes of the indesign doc and replace them? With inCopy maybe????
Could you please walk me through the steps? It would be a real life saver.

Thanx again
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines