Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to change single page documents to facing-pages

Oct 26, 2008 4:57 AM

Hi all,
I am brand new in indesign and facing the above issue. All of these where quark documents that have been turned into indesign single pages documents.
I tried changing the document setup to facing pages but did not work.
I tried moving the pages and place them next to each other so as to produce spreads but did not work either.
Making a search I can only find how to change facing pages to single ones, but not the opposite.

Could someone point me to the right direction?
Thanx in advance
Michael

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2008 5:14 AM   in reply to (3poulakia)
    > I tried changing the document setup to facing pages but did not work.

It certainly should have. Can you post the file somewhere for us to look at?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2008 6:28 AM   in reply to (3poulakia)
    >All of these where quark documents that have been turned into indesign single pages documents.

What method did you use to convert the Quark document to an InDesign document? Were you able to simply open the Qx file in IDCS3, or did you use the Q2ID converter from Markzware, or something else?

As for the 16Mb file size, convert a light weigh test document that reproduces the problem and post it so we can try to help you with this problem. But the test document MUST reproduce the problem.

Al

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2008 6:12 AM   in reply to (3poulakia)
    If I am reading the problem correctly, try this:

1. Start with original document.

2. Select all pages of the document in the Pages Palette.

3. Turn ON Allow Pages to Shuffle in the Pages Palette Menu.

4. File > Document Setup...

5. Select Facing Pages, Click OK

HTH

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2008 6:56 AM   in reply to (3poulakia)
    Yes, your extra steps are necessary to get the document to use a facing pages master. In fact, quite a neat way of achieving that end. You could, of course, just make a new master spread and then apply that, but you'd have to manually edit the masters to get them the way you want them. On the other hand, assuming you want to have asymmetry on your left and right pages, you will now need to edit the master you created anyway -- be sure to switch on Layer Adjustment before doing that.

And, if you're in a situation where you have a lot of master pages, then you have more work to do.

Converting a document to facing pages does not, in and of itself, convert existing single-page masters to facing page masters.

Dave

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)