Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem

Feb 4, 2009 9:23 AM

I've seen this before when placing some of the blizzard of pdfs of all kinds that land in my inbox into Indesign. I can't remember if I ever solved it, but one work-around has been to place the pdf, then export as pdf, place that into a new document.

It's not working this time though. The pdf in question was created in Indesign CS2 (4.0.5) in Windows, the Windows fonts are all embedded, I'm using CS2 Mac. Everything else prints fine to a variety of output devices.

Can anyone shed any light, is there more information I can provide?

It prints from Acrobat, which is what I'm doing, but not when placed into ID.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2009 6:10 AM   in reply to Kath-H
    Kath

Your not alone. I have experienced this issue as well. The only workaround that I have come up with is to give your local account admin rights "Allow user to administer this computer".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2009 11:27 AM   in reply to Kath-H
    b Adobe Print Engine Failure Error

I have been trying to work around this and/or cure the problem since November. I don't mind creating a new preferences file, if that solves the problem. And, I suspect that that is my problem. I'm sure that I aborted a job on at least one occasion, and I'm quite sure that
    I have committed most of the sins outlined in the causes and effects
    list. However, I haven't figured out where to type in the commands that will get me to the preferences file. One set of instructions suggested that I go into the library file and delete a file within, but can't remember which file it is. Guess I'm not savvy enough to figure it all out.
    b Help!

Ellen Witteborg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2009 4:12 AM   in reply to Kath-H
    For what it's worth, which isn't much, I don't think this is an OPI comments problem. I've seen that with a lot of Quark generated PDFs because Quark enables OPI by default. On those files the page has printed, but random images will be missing from the placed PDFs.

I don't know much about Page Plus, other than it is a low-budget solution. I suspect one way they cut costs is to use some open-source PDF clone engine to produce the PDF and it isn't adhering to the spec perfectly.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2009 6:24 AM   in reply to Kath-H
    One more thought. On occasion I used to save PDF as .eps from Acrobat, then run that through distiller to get it to behave (mostly for cropping off the marks and page info and the huge empty borders when designers would send me two-inch ads on lettersize pages). You might give that a try.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to Kath-H
    I normally crop in ID, too, but the school paper is manned by low-skill students who have a lot of trouble getting things cropped and positioned correctly, so I like to give them as much of a chance as I can. :)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2009 6:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

In my case I have managed to narrow this error down to bullets set up with paragraph and character style.  I had been using a paragraph bullet style and then settting the look of the bullet as a character style (a zapf dingbat solid circle)(as described in the manual).  This causes the print engine failure if I take the bullet style off - no problem

Applause Digital Media Ltd
    http://www.twitter.com/instantApplause
    http://www.applause.co.uk http://www.999website-rental.co.uk

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)