Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign export to Dreamweaver XHTML, error undefined is not an object

Nov 8, 2007 3:27 PM

Please could you read the following email and make any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Hi Guys,

Exporting it to a pdf and then again to HTML works okay so long as the text isnt in columns. Acrobat doesnt put the text in the right order which is a pain. Here is a breakdown of what i am doing and whats happening.

1. Opening an indd file in SERVER NAME/Data/ONLINE/FOLDER NAME/

2. Going to File à Cross-media Export à XHTML/Dreamweaver

3. Saving the file in SERVER NAME/Data/ONLINE/FOLDERNAME/indd exports/

4. In the export settings i am changing the Advanced settings to make sure there is No CSS

5. I hit Export and get this error message: undefined is not an object

If you go in to the indd export folder you can see that i have managed to export about half the files, the rest all have the same error message and i have no idea why.

I have tried the following:

1. Substituting all fonts it couldnt find on my computer for the default fonts

2. Taking out all the images (we dont need them, just the text)

3. Closing everything down and rebooting CS3

4. Closing everything down and rebooting the Mac

5. Saving the file on to the local machine and trying again

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2007 4:02 PM   in reply to (Anton_M)
    The error message "undefined is not an object" is a typical javascript error. Since the Export to Dreamweaver functionality is implemented in javascript, it appears that you have tickled a bug in the javascript code.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2008 8:47 AM   in reply to (Anton_M)
    Hello,
    I'm getting exactly the same error. Anyone have any suggestions?
    In Peace,
    Sam Diener

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2008 12:40 AM   in reply to (Anton_M)
    Hello all, I have "tickled" this bug for over a million times. It usually can be bypassed by exporting the document to .inx File->Export and select InDesign Interchange. And I say usually because today it just hit in an inx file. But for you, I have exported over 30000 files and almost half of them had that same problem.

But if anyone has heard a way to bypass the problem even in inx, please post..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to (mavrosxristoforos)

Hi guys,

that's the same "undefined is not an object" exporting from IDCS4 to digital editions with reference to TOCs. If you check the TOC exporting you get this error... If you don't check the TOC there's no problem. I tried in many ways to define the TOC styles but I'm always getting the same error. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 6:15 AM   in reply to kremisi

Hi!

I've got the power!

InDesign CS4 does not recognize the nested paragraph styles in your document. So if you try to realize a TOC you have to move the styles involved from the nested level to the first one. You'll find no problems to export in Digital Editions in this way. Ciao!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2011 11:09 AM   in reply to kremisi

Hi all,

I'm getting this error "undefined is not an object" and can't get past it.

What do you mean by "nested paragraph styles in your document"? How do I find these in my document?

I went to all the Paragraph Styles Options -> Drop Caps and Nested Styles that I've defined im my doc and none of them have these (Drop Caps and Nested Styles) configs. Is this what you refer to?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to pppppedro

Ok, I've got the power too.

I wen´t to the Paragraph Style window and moved all my items to the root and removed all the Style Groups. Now I can export to Digital Editions with TOC.

Best regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2011 11:43 AM   in reply to pppppedro

Are your links all up to date?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 6:54 AM   in reply to (Anton_M)

Thanks to all who directed looking at the paragraph styles! I was struggling with the same 'undefined is not an object' issue, but I had some styles migrated from Word that were 'linked,' and when I unlinked them through the paragraph styles menu, it worked great.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2011 7:05 AM   in reply to kayar11

Actually it wasn't quite that simple, thought it had exported as html, but it haden't. The solution ended up being after managing the styles, to export as an IDML, then open that file and export for DW (I'm in CS5).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)