Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

MS Publisher to InDesign Filter

Nov 29, 2007 4:56 PM

Very interesting email just arrived. I have a copy shop and the overwhelming majority of my production files from amateurs are Publisher. I'll be curious to see how this works. Then again, before I got the copy shop, I had to convert all that RGB to spot colors to print offset. I'm on the fence about getting it right away but I most likely will get it at some point in the new year. Here's the mailing:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Markzware Announces The Immediate Release Of Microsoft Publisher To Adobe InDesign (PUB2ID) For Macintosh and Window Users!

Easily Convert Microsoft Publisher Documents Into Adobe InDesign With PUB2ID v1.5

SANTA ANA, California -- November 29, 2007 -- After a very long and vigorous, yet successful beta testing program, Markzware is pleased to announce the exciting worldwide release of Microsoft Publisher to Adobe InDesign (PUB2ID) v1.5.

If you have Microsoft Publisher versions 2002-2007, you can now easily convert them into Adobe InDesign CS2 and CS3. Currently, Publisher documents from 2007 that are converted to XPS, are not supported by PUB2ID.

Jessica Herbig, of Allegra USA said of the PUB2ID release, "I used a multi-page MSP document with a few pictures, and lots of text flowing from page-to-page. The original was a PC file, and I opened it on my Mac G5 with ID CS2. It was such a fast conversion process, and all of the images were automatically linked. The Windows fonts were missing, which was a quick fix. It worked great, and what would have taken hours to retype and set text, now would only take about 15 minutes to format. Thanks! Great work!"

"This is an exciting time for Markzware. PUB2ID is a product that gives customers the power to convert Microsoft Publishers files into Adobe InDesign. With Adobe InDesign as a broadly accepted industry standard, this latest conversion tool enables the creation and re-purposing of content, thus saving a lot of time." according to Mary Gay Marchese, public relations director of Markzware.

Pricing and Availability:
PUB2ID is available for immediate download or on CD-ROM, starting at $199 MSRP. For more information please visit http://www.markzware.com/pub2id/ .

About Markzware:
Markzware, a privately held company based in Santa Ana, California, is a leading developer of quality assurance, data conversion and workflow solutions for the international graphic arts, printing, publishing and digital multimedia industries. Markzware B.V. located in Rijswijk, the Netherlands, is the company's headquarters for activities in Europe, the Middle East and Asia.

2007 Markzware. All rights reserved. Covered by U.S. Patent #5,963,641.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2008 7:56 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    Has anyone tried this yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2008 9:38 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    I've been using it for a couple of weeks now. Not to shabby. Most Pub files open right up, some need a little prodding. Main issue as with all converters are fonts. Nice thing is once the Pub file is opened you get a folder with all the embedded images as links. Only issue I've had so far is if the Pub file was constructed using Picas, it will open in Indy at the pica numbers only in inches. So 88 picas will be 88 inches. I emailed them the bug and they responded this will be fixed in the next update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2008 10:19 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    Using too for last 2 weeks or so. Excellent work again by Markzware.

Fonts don't work so well, but I prefer changing to my library anyway.

Only problem that I've encountered is that it converts page margins really strangely. All elements are positioned properly vis-a-vis the page, but the page margins in the InD document settings are wonky. Again, no big deal if you know it's happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 5:09 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    Most important development since Salk Vaccine ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 6:55 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    >>Most important development since Salk Vaccine

I'd put it more in the class of flush toilets! This is exciting news that could shave lots of time off the many Publisher jobs I receive. Please keep us posted as the product matures.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 8:21 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    > I'd put it more in the class of flush toilets!

Interesting analogy.

So you're saying that the conversion of Publisher files to ID is on a par with handling sewage and bodily wastes?

Ouch!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 8:30 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    I have to prepare lots of Publisher files for print, which requires a series of workarounds comparable to running to an outhouse in the dead of winter. It's usually a very urgent need on a rather desperate timeline. If this plugin works as advertised, I'd compare it to the arrival of indoor plumbing. The need may still be urgent, and the timeline may still be desperate. There will just be a much greater chance of making it in time, without the risk of frostbite and splinters.

How's that, Sandee?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 9:18 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    Been using it since the beta and most stuff translates quite well ( wordart doesn't translate but I'd say that was a plus!) most text frames come in with inset, but that may be how the original was created no way of telling without taking time out to open it in Publisher.

A nice touch is that the embedded images get automatically placed into a named folder.

For the money it's well worth it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2008 10:33 AM   in reply to Mr. Met
    Appreciate everyone's input--we purchased a five-license package. From what I've seen so far it does some documents well but others need right much cleaning up. It's not like opening a quark doc in InDesign but still will be very useful.

|
    Mark as:
  • lmccat
    6 posts
    Oct 12, 2011
    Dec 1, 2011 11:14 AM   in reply to (Jon_Marken)

I know it's years since this forum thread was started, but I am just now getting into using InDesign and wondered if the Markzware PUB2ID is worth $199.  Also, I am wondering if it has gotten any better over the past 4 years since it has been released.  Any technical issues with ID, etc... ?  Any input is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 11:17 AM   in reply to lmccat

It’s still the only solution. See if they’ll convert one file for you as a test.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • lmccat
    6 posts
    Oct 12, 2011
    Dec 6, 2011 5:36 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This