Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export Gif? Save for web?

Jan 14, 2009 2:45 PM

Do either of these options exist in InDesign, anywhere, with a plugin or whatever?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2009 2:54 PM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    Export PDF, then open in Photoshop and Save for Web there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 4:53 PM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    Despite the prevalence of every vaguely design-oriented tool to have a "save to web" or "create HTML" option, InDesign doesn't.

I for one have always found "Swiss Army Knife" tools - which may be a trademark of Corel now - to be buggy compilations of half-working features. I'm happy to have Adobe split up the functions and keep them that way. :)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 7:00 AM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    >Is it really that difficult to output a gif file from InDesign?

It's impossible. ID can export Tagged Text, PDF, EPS, JPEG, SWF, XML, INX and IDML.

>So I want a piece of software that can design a multi-page document, with both raster and vector elements for ease of creation (and re-purposing), and then be able to output jpegs, gifs and pngs--Oh and have master pages and style sheets...

As I said, export PDF, which has all of the raster/vector/layer/transparency features you want in the file and can be easily converted to your other formats. The fact that you say you want to re-purpose shows that you know you'll need to do more processing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 9:32 AM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    >Frankly there's no point to outputting a PDF for me, as I can just copy and paste into Photoshop

I guess you don't care too much about the quality of your images. All you are copying and pasting is the screen preview. For the web that might be OK, but...

The export to XHTML doesn't meet your criteria since it exports the images separately from the text and doesn't preserve the layout. You said you wanted to export pages (or so I thought), not page elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 10:28 AM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    Well, that's different, but not a lot, since ID is meant for assembling your previously created bits & pieces into coherent pages.

You probably still won't like it, since it still is PDF, but there is a script that will allow you to export selected items to PDF rather than the entire page. One place you'll find it is here on InDesign Secrets:
    http://indesignsecrets.com/free-selection-to-pdf-script-from-auckland. php

Otherwise, the export export for Dreamweaver is all that's built in. You could ask on the scripting forum to see if anyone has anything else that might be more direct.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 11:02 AM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    i When I refer to "Save for Web (and devices)" I mean like the same-named feature in Photoshop and Illustrator that spits out images.

ID isn't really an image-creation tool. Even the JPEGs it creates are a kind of lame preview/low-res proof rather than a primary output format. As others have noted above, you're really asking too much of any one tool - formatted page layout and quality raster image generation are apples and oranges.

All things considered, export to JPEG and then a web-optimized conversion to GIF (if you insist) is a pretty simple step, and lets each tool do its best job.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 12:43 PM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    What app would that be?

As much as each of us here would like to have one-more-feature in ID or our other favorite apps, I like it that Adobe has retreated from overwhelming featuritis in every app, and has compartmented functions in sensible ways.

When a maker tries to put every conceivable feature into an app, no matter how obscure or unwanted or infrequently used, you end up with unusable, buggy junk that is too hard to use efficiently.

As vast an array of publication and design projects as I do, I can't imagine a workflow where I would need/want to use ID to end up with a GIF for a web designer. Your choices and needs are very narrow, so it's not surprising that it takes at least two tools and some ingenuity to get from start to finish. I have some similar workflows that are driven by outside needs and require a desktop juggling act to complete... but I still wouldn't want the features built into any one app. The human in the chair is still the final uber-app. :)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 1:01 PM   in reply to (ZeroskillZ)
    >I suppose my requirements would be satisfied if Illustrator allowed multiple pages...

In CS4 it does!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)