Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Programme crashes each time I export book to PDF

Mar 24, 2008 10:48 AM

Hi,
I have had no problem exporting many individual files. However, I have written a book using Inbooklet (and preflighted it without problems)but Adobe Indesign keeps crashing (at different moments; sometimes at the very final moment!) everytime I try and 'export the book to PDF'. Help! Is this a bug and are there any ways around this problem? My printer requests that I supply the work in PDF format.

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Rachel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2008 11:48 AM   in reply to (Rac.)
    Do you need to be using Inbooklet? If you are having this book printed professionally, your printer should do the
    imposition and may not thank you for sending files imposed with Inbooklet.

And when you say book, do you mean book in the sense of "bookshelf" or book in the sense used by InDesign which means a
    collection of separate documents compiled into a single entity? I'm not sure that Inbooklet works with InDesign book files.

k

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2008 12:33 PM   in reply to (Rac.)
    Rachel,

Exporting a book to PDF should be available from the Book panel menu, not from the the application File > Export menu. Is that where you are looking?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2008 2:56 AM   in reply to (Rac.)
    "I do not have a problem if I try to export individual small documents which are not gathered together in a book file."

But are these the same documents that are in your book file?

It sounds as if you have a problem with one of your book documents which is causing the crash.

k

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2008 3:39 AM   in reply to (Rac.)
    This might be a memory issue if each file will export on its own. There are other reports of similar problems, usually solved by exporting the book in two or more pieces and combining the PDF files in Acrobat.

What version, and Build, of InDesign are you using?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2008 6:54 AM   in reply to (Rac.)
    If you export a book directly from ID to PDF for a book printer, the latter likely will specify a PDF format close to ID's "Press" settings for export to PDF, probably PDF format 1.3 or 1.4. If you use, say, Acrobat version 8 to join PDFs, doesn't it change the format to PDF format 1.7? Acrobat Pro, at least, lets you get back to earlier formats by "Optimizing" the PDF, but what else happens in the process? Do you have to check all six screens of Optimizer settings to make sure nothing else gets changed?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to (Rac.)

Same probleme here! book crashes on exporting PDF no matter what preset, individual files exported ok. i dont believe is because the file is too big, because all other versions of Indesign can manage that much and manuy more. i do believe in a bug.

OSX 10.6.8

InDesign CS6 8.0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)